IGNORED

AudioDoctors dead simple audio tricks...

So, here is a new series I will write to add some of what I miss from this forum. First installment. Common Ground. Not the kind where we all find something to agree on within a larger contentious topic. The kind that helps all your electronics work better, called an Earth in other parts of the world.

You want to make your system sound better for next to nothing? Ensure every device has the same ground. I guarantee something as simple as plugging your entire system into one single outlet on the wall will have benefits to sound quality.

Quieter background? Yep.

Better definition of individual instruments? Yep.

Better background detail and sounds down in the mix? Yep.

SO here is an example of my home office system based around my iMac.

I have one outlet, the top outlet goes to a UPS Battery power Supply for my iMac and associated external drives. The bottom outlet goes to a power conditioner with the plugs for my DAC, my Marantz 2230, my Turntable, and Phono amp. It has the added benefit of protection against data loss in case of a sudden power outage meaning less chance of a loss of music files.

No electron left behind.

Very cool. When I had Spectral Audio gear it was mandatory that I use a single outlet or else I would have major hum in my system.

It has made a major difference in my personal systems. If anyone needs an example, I have tubes. Come on over and I'll plug them into different outlets and you can listen to the buzzing!

No electron left behind.

Your apostrophe key isn't working.

Can you deliberately create a ground loop and reproducibly degrade the audio as a function of applied voltage (as a test)?

A few years ago I bought an isolator for my cabal TV connection, as it created a ground loop.

If you have a TV - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

Sure, I'll plug my cable box in... ;-)

edit: seriously, I probably could. If I go ahead and plug it in the way it was before, and we listen, and then I plug it back in the new way, you would immediately notice the difference and it won't be subtle.

The apostrophe key is working fine, autocorrect usually puts them in for me.

No electron left behind.

Sure, I'll plug my cable box in... ;-)

edit: seriously, I probably could. If I go ahead and plug it in the way it was before, and we listen, and then I plug it back in the new way, you would immediately notice the difference and it won't be subtle.

The apostrophe key is working fine, autocorrect usually puts them in for me.

Siri, please auto-correct my doctor handwriting.

Any thoughts on those grounding box's or a box of dirt with cables and other extra grounding points?

In my Oppo I cleaned up the threads on the ground plane on the pcb and added silver paste. Same for the chassis earth point. Not a huge difference but a touch more than before... More out of general curiosity. Same for the Earth connections/ common ground back to the mains...iec /uk 3 pin/ conditioner/ uk 3 pin/ Wall socket. If it doesn't make it worse and cheap... give it a go attitude...

Cheers AudioDoctor keep the advice / tips coming.....

You could try ' Audio Doc's [emoji382] Fantastical [emoji326] marvellous [emoji322] melody[emoji443] musical [emoji445] magical[emoji60] medical[emoji541] extravaganza [emoji623] into sound [emoji350] and other tips' [emoji366] [emoji375] ... [emoji6] [emoji453]

Drum up interest...

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I guess I didn't add enough buzzwords, there is a simple solution, and not enough controversy here...

My next one will be AudioDoctors crazy complicated Audio Miracles... That one will be a hit.

If you really want some controversy then do analogue output measurements from your DAC of the two ground configurations & let's see the measureists discuss how the measurements don't show the audible difference heard :)

If you really want some controversy then do analogue output measurements from your DAC of the two ground configurations & let's see the measureists discuss how the measurements don't show the audible difference heard :)

I am 100% sure I do not have the equipment to do that test. I do have ears that can hear the buzzing through my speakers though.

No electron left behind.

I actually have a real life use for the answer to this question: Does "single outlet" mean one wall plate with capacity for two plugs (for instance), or does it mean one plug? In other words, can the amp be plugged directly into the wall and the power conditioner/outlet strip into the second socket in that wall plate?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Oddly, I've just corrected a ground loop hum issue by removing a wire which supposedly grounded my Rel sub through one of my mono power amps. :0/

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

I actually have a real life use for the answer to this question: Does "single outlet" mean one wall plate with capacity for two plugs (for instance), or does it mean one plug? In other words, can the amp be plugged directly into the wall and the power conditioner/outlet strip into the second socket in that wall plate?

A ground current traversing two different resistances will generate two different voltages - a ground potential. This, in essence, is why ground noise is created. If the return currents on the grounds meet the same resistance there will be no ground potential, no voltage differences generated.

Plugging into the same dual socket should be using the same ground wire separated by a small distance i.e negligible difference in resistance. Plugging into two different mains sockets may well have different resistances of ground wire back to the main fuseboard for a number of reasons.

I would be careful about power conditioners as they may well introduced a ground potential difference.

It is my understanding that a single outlet with 2 plugs, or more I suppose, has the same ground.

Or you could get one of these: http://www.psaudio.com/products/power-port-premier/

No electron left behind.

I would be careful about power conditioners as they may well introduced a ground potential difference.

I've got a lot of stuff to plug in (around 14 or 15 items, I think), so a strip or a conditioner with lots of receptacles is a necessity if they're all going to go to the same place.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've got a lot of stuff to plug in (around 14 or 15 items, I think), so a strip or a conditioner with lots of receptacles is a necessity if they're all going to go to the same place.

Wow, 15 devices!! This seems excessive.

Are you sure they are all needed in the playback chain?

How much aggregate current draw is anticipated?

I've got one of these. It's a handmade, boutique product. You deal directly with the owner, who makes 'em. A bit of a splurge, but very high quality.

You could buy two, and plug one into each of the duplex wall outlet sockets.

Integrity Power Strip