IGNORED

You got the Beats but, what has the Beats got inside?

I've never listened to Beats headphones, so I can't comment on how they sound. The material component cost estimates don't really surprise me. I would be interested to see how other comparably priced headphones that are also sold worldwide through retail channels compare.

I've never listened to Beats headphones, so I can't comment on how they sound. The material component cost estimates don't really surprise me. I would be interested to see how other comparably priced headphones that are also sold worldwide through retail channels compare.

Last time I listened to a pair several years ago , they were very poor audio quality .

I see a lot of them in the gym though . .

Do Beats guys become Bose guys with age? I just stick to my IEMs.

Anyway they remain bass hungry guys for the rest of their lives. Got no choice - the ears have to evolve to adopt to the bass-heavy sound. Good customers for cheap subwoofers' manufacturers.

Well the materials cost vs retail isn't all that much out of whack. Generally such things are expected to be a 10:1 ratio in many retail items. 20:1 if not a competitive field (Beats for instance may have made themselves a special part of the market where its Beats or nothing). Rarely more than 5:1 is the case.

DISCLAIMER:I am going by other people's information mostly not an expert on such myself. I have however been involved in engineering projects that seem to bear this out. One I remember was a change to a part that was to cost $3.50 and being told that would pump another $30 into the sales price and the market was too competitive to bump price $30 even if it increased efficiency a very worthwhile amount (which it did). So the change was never made in the $900 retail product.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

There is no doubt they are more expensive than they are worth - however, following the links and references, someone commented that the tear down was done on knock offs... hope someone repeats the exercise with real ones...

I sure didn't see anything like that, even in the original article. They very much look like actual Beats headphones.

Can you post the exact link you are talking about please?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I sure didn't see anything like that, even in the original article. They very much look like actual Beats headphones.

Can you post the exact link you are talking about please?

-Paul

https://blog.bolt.io/how-it-s-made-series-beats-by-dre-154aae384b36

go to "Show All Responses" there is some discussion about being a knock off tear down... which will lead to this link

Uh-Oh: Beats Teardown Apparently Used Beats Knockoffs - Core77[-BREAKING-NEWS-]-Uh-Oh-Beats-Teardown-Apparently-Used-Beats-Knockoffs

v

https://blog.bolt.io/how-it-s-made-series-beats-by-dre-154aae384b36

go to "Show All Responses" there is some discussion about being a knock off tear down... which will lead to this link

Uh-Oh: Beats Teardown Apparently Used Beats Knockoffs - Core77[-BREAKING-NEWS-]-Uh-Oh-Beats-Teardown-Apparently-Used-Beats-Knockoffs

v

Thanks - that is very interesting. I didn't know the Beats were being pirated that closely, which is an interesting story all in itself! :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

[emoji16] Ahaha.. perfect ..The best reply I've had on CA...

My best friend ran off with the wife.. All they left me was my audio gear.. I can never thank him enough...

My friend suggested wife swapping.. I got a new stereo...great deal. ...

W.C Fields jokes... My wife drove me too Audio...wonderful Women...

I only became a misogynist when I realised all women hate me..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

1469031725968.jpg

Beats remind me of the flavour flave giant clock necklace it still told the time but was there for image...

It does serve a purpose as it makes people question what they have.

I have always thought the HD800 is an awful looking lump of plastic. But that serves it's purpose also.

I bet it doesn't cost €1000 to make either .. ..Say 10 times the beats basic material price.... Still a very nice profit margin but is the sound worth it?...

Thanks - that is very interesting. I didn't know the Beats were being pirated that closely, which is an interesting story all in itself! :)

-Paul

The knock-offs are probably externals rejected for some arbitrary reason using junk internals and sold out the back door of the out-source manufacturing facility. A great racket if you can get away with it.

You can get copies hitting the streets before the product is even launched.

Sunday markets can get Beats knock offs for £10.

An apprentice at work had some real ones for Xmas I let him compare my FLARE IEMS. The little tinkers face dropped....But he likes the look....Maybe it's an age thing fashion over function.... We can never guess the real profit margin of Beats or Sennheiser. Most of Beats must be advertising but if there R+D was half that...

-Paul

Just visit China some time. There is a whole building in Shanghai with 5 floors of knockoffs. Want Rolex, Gucci, Beats by the gazillions, etc. I was at a silk shop looking around. As I was walking out, the store lady tugged my sleeve and said "you want watch?". There were no watches in that shop.