IGNORED

Siri on macOS (public beta): Initial impressions and prospects for revolutionizing computer audio

wgscott

I rarely use Siri... I feel stupid talking to my phone / tablet. On the other hand I often vent my feelings at self-service checkouts!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I found that changing Siri's voice to "British (Female)" made things go much more smoothly between Siri and me … since I'm used to being told what to do by a British female.

Works especially well for turn-by-turn navigation. Even when I'm directed to the wrong place I just shrug it off.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I found that changing Siri's voice to "British (Female)" made things go much more smoothly between Siri and me … since I'm used to being told what to do by a British female.

Works especially well for turn-by-turn navigation. Even when I'm directed to the wrong place I just shrug it off.

--David

I might do that, but for different reasons...

No electron left behind.

--David

My wife does this to you, too?

That is fortunate, because it appears that you cannot.

Siri, dictate an email to Bill...

;)

There would be a lot of blanked out words.

At the moment I have an Amazon Alexa thing in my house, I use it very little. I think I might send it back.

No electron left behind.

Do all of your fem-bots fight over your attention?

No, not really. I thought I would like to order stuff from Amazon by voice, but I don't really order much. It really isn't very useful at all. I can do all the stuff with Siri in my hand on phone or iPad.

edit: it is actually called an Amazon Echo, Alexa enabled.

No electron left behind.

No, not really. I thought I would like to order stuff from Amazon by voice, but I don't really order much. It really isn't very useful at all. I can do all the stuff with Siri in my hand on phone or iPad.

edit: it is actually called an Amazon Echo, Alexa enabled.

It'll give you the weather and news while you're in the shower, or you can use it as a fancy alarm (my wife uses mostly the former, me mostly the latter).

Depending on how connected your home is, you can control lighting, thermostat, etc. (Waiting until we move to a new home for that.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That is exactly how my mornings go, except they start at 4 am.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It'll give you the weather and news while you're in the shower, or you can use it as a fancy alarm (my wife uses mostly the former, me mostly the latter).

Depending on how connected your home is, you can control lighting, thermostat, etc. (Waiting until we move to a new home for that.)

But so can the phone or iPad I have in my hand...

No electron left behind.