IGNORED

Inconsistent Hi-Res Quality

This is a bit over my head, I'm afraid, as I am quite the hifi novice. You're saying I would convert DSD to PCM through Audirvana or...what?

I tried a DSD > PCM converter for Mac OS X that you can find here: Audio Software I converted a couple of 8.6MHz .dff (64fs) downloads of Oscar Peterson recordings on HIFIStatement. It's easy enough to install the stand-alone DSDConverter (just be sure to "Allow applications from Anywhere" in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab temporarily). It's a zip file that unpacks to documentation and an .app file that you drag and drop into your "Applications" folder.

The results are comparable to the best 24/192 downloads I bought on HDtracks - John Coltrane's Black Pearls and Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue.

I tried a DSD > PCM converter for Mac OS X that you can find here: Audio Software I converted a couple of 8.6MHz .dff (64fs) downloads of Oscar Peterson recordings on HIFIStatement. It's easy enough to install the stand-alone DSDConverter (just be sure to "Allow applications from Anywhere" in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab temporarily). It's a zip file that unpacks to documentation and an .app file that you drag and drop into your "Applications" folder.

The results are comparable to the best 24/192 downloads I bought on HDtracks - John Coltrane's Black Pearls and Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue.

Thanks for that tip. I'll check it out.

I don't have a problem with being asked to listen to an old standby in a new way, so I really respect his effort.

But the quality of the recording itself I found very so-so. The last track--the finale of the 7th--I doubt almost unlistenable. Just woolly and distorted.

I thought it was a problem with my equipment but other recordings were fine so I'm not sure what to make of it...

Are you listening to this in DSD? If not, how was it converted? I have no problem with the two versions I have: DSD and DXD.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

It's the 24/88 from HDTracks.

Now I remember why I have an aversion to HDTracks: You really have to know what you're buying, or else you'll get played.

That's not sound business practice, imo, although it may work for them for a while.

In any event, my guess is that their business model relies on a steady stream of newbies, like myself, who don't really know what they're doing.

Shame on them.

Now I remember why I have an aversion to HDTracks: You really have to know what you're buying, or else you'll get played.

That's not sound business practice, imo, although it may work for them for a while.

In any event, my guess is that their business model relies on a steady stream of newbies, like myself, who don't really know what they're doing.

Shame on them.

They receive albums from distributors and resell them. Just like your record/CD store back in the old days. Generally, if you got a LP or CD that just didn't sound good (because it was recorded and produced that way), you were stuck with it, right? And back then, there weren't Internet resources where you could check beforehand how it sounds.

So their position is they aren't responsible for the SQ, just responsible that the product isn't somehow defective. The producers and artists are responsible for the SQ.

You CAN complain that they shouldn't call themelves "audiophile" and charge a premium, but that's a different argument. We are all free not to buy their product without hearing it first or getting a recommendation from someone who has, or finding out the provenance of the release. That's what I try to do before I buy.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's the 24/88 from HDTracks.

In theory there should be nothing wrong with the 24/88 file. If you truly feel there is something wrong with the file, contact HDTracks & they will check it out. When I have encountered problems they will go & listen to the track in question. The record labels sometimes do screw things up. If the file is defective, they will refund your money. Have you tried to re-download the problem tracks (is this possible with HDTracks?)?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

You CAN complain that they shouldn't call themelves "audiophile" and charge a premium, but that's a different argument. We are all free not to buy their product without hearing it first or getting a recommendation from someone who has, or finding out the provenance of the release. That's what I try to do before I buy.

Exactly. HDTracks misrepresents many of its offerings. Discerning, experienced audiophiles know how not to be taken in. The rest of us have to learn.