IGNORED

PC DSD player

iradu

or HQ Player or BugHead

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

without any additional hardware, except the PC itself and the onboad sound card?

Hadn't noticed that. Miska is right, but I think that after a while, they removed that capability from newer VAIOs.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Hadn't noticed that. Miska is right, but I think that after a while, they removed that capability from newer VAIOs.

None of my VAIOs support DSD, but they are more business oriented models. Does anyone know what chips the used in the ones that did play DSD?

Right. That was in 2005. If you can still find a working VAIO that had this, I think you have found a relic not worth preserving. You would be in a worse situation than the current SACD rippers who do DSD rips to PC via a PS3, because at least those machines have some availability and there is a hack for the PS3. There is none that I know of for the ancient VAIOs.

Since one cannot ever find plug in PC optical drives that can handle SACD, that should end the hardware and optical disc side of this discussion, unless someone has come up with a great new alternative. Mr. Wicked, I hope you can do this someday. You are in my prayers.

On the software side of DSD playback, there are quite a few packages that will do it from a ripped or downloaded DSD ISO or a DSF/DFF extract from that.

I still have a working Vaio from 2009 and has the Sound Reality chip inside.

It can rip a CD to DSD64 which takes 45min with a crude form of metadata that didn't stick very well. To play DSD files it was standard open file and play.

Today, far better results are to upsample to DSD128+ from every file sample rate to an external DSD capable converter.

Like most things apart from the Walkman, Trintron , Sony have a bad marketing technique to get their message across.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 4 weeks later...