IGNORED

Head position tracker for 3D audio on headphones

Hi all!

I've found new technology presented at NAMM for tracking head position and translate it as virtual head movement in a virtual room into regular headphones (sort of 3D googles but audio). I believe this will be not only for audio engineering purposes, but also for video gaming, etc.

Did anybody hear about anything similar?

Beyerdynamic DT880Pro, Etymotic ER-4 MicroPRO, Sony MDR-7506

Hi all! I've found new technology presented at NAMM for tracking head position and translate it as virtual head movement in a virtual room into regular headphones (sort of 3D googles but audio). I believe this will be not only for audio engineering purposes, but also for video gaming, etc. Did anybody hear about anything similar?

I'm surprised there isn't more of this, since combat pilots were pioneers in total awareness years ago. But if you're gaming and you hear a sound at 4 o'clock and turn instantly to the right, to make it realistic the total sound being piped into the headphone needs to shift instantly as well. That's a very complex thing to do. It would be better if your head were in a sound field like a room, or box of some kind, so when you turn suddenly you hear accurately within that sound field, and the sound field doesn't have to shift.