IGNORED

Channel Classics PCM downloads

I have a question about Channel Classics hi-res PCM downloads. I know they are big advocates of DSD and list their DSD equipment here however I'm unable to find anything about their PCM signal path.

I purchased Mahler's S5 conducted by Ivan Fischer (what a great performance and recording!), the PCM 24/192 is described as "Studio Master HD".

Since this is 24/192 it doesn't seem right that this would be a conversion from DSD? Isn't 176 KHz normally the sample rate chosen when converting DSD to PCM? Does this mean their "Studio Master HD" download is a native PCM recording?

I am writing Tom Caulfield to clarify. I had a nice conversation with Tom (who does the mastering for Channel) about the recording, editing, mastering process a few weeks ago. I think I understand how the PCM files are generated, but I want to double check. Tom may be monitoring CA, I don't remember.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I talked with Tom today. He asked me to point him to this thread and he will respond directly. Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Hi All,

The entire Channel Classics catalog is recorded in DSD64, and are/were intended for SACD production with minimal post processing. All recordings are mixed and balanced in analog at the session prior to DSD recording. Most are simply edited for release as SACD's, DSD downloads on nativedsd.com, and PCM downloads and DSD downloads on channelclassics.com.

The PCM conversions were all performed with the Weiss Saracon converter, which supports all PCM output sample rates with equal quality. While 176KHz is a simple 16:1 reconstruction conversion, 192KHz also has a mathematical relationship to 2.8MHz through a combination of multiplication and division without data loss or rounding. 192KHz PCM was simply chosen by market preference.

Hope this answers the question,

Tom