IGNORED

Schitt audio secondary market

my experience is that schiit products are very easy to re-sell. they're well built and have very few moving parts so there's very little to go wrong.

i think you'll find that most electronics manufacturers do not have a transferable warranty.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

In my experience at least with their higher end DACs (especially the ones with multibit upgrade due to its current FOTM) tend to sell quickly and with quite a bit less of a loss than the traditional dealer sold DACs. I am pretty sure I could end up making money when I sell my Yggydrasil shortly since the guy on A'gon sold it for less than what it goes for on their big interest forum Headfi.

I see that Schitt's warranty does not convey to new owners. That's a fairly unusual policy, I believe.

In anyone's experience, does that make resale of Schitt audio components more difficult?

Actually, I believe it is more the norm. Most products have warranty of 1-3 years, not transferrable.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

i think you'll find that most electronics manufacturers do not have a transferable warranty.

And that's not often a problem. Most electronics failures are "infant failures" - they occur in the first few hours or days of use. Almost all electronic devices that work fine for a few weeks will work fine for their designed life span, and the unusual breakage that sometimes occurs is in switches and other mechanical parts that are easy and (most often) inexpensive to repair compared to boards and other electronic assemblies.

The only "premature" failure I've had in dozens of preamps, amps, tuners etc over 50+ years was the power switch in my Hafler 500. My Apt Holman preamp lost a channel on the headphone output after 20+ years of daily use, which didn't bother me in the least - and the fix was about $50 as I recall.

The one exception to this is when electronic equipment is allowed to overheat. If it's stuck in closed cabinets, stacked without circulation between components etc, its expected time to failure can be greatly shortened.

And that's not often a problem. Most electronics failures are "infant failures" - they occur in the first few hours or days of use. Almost all electronic devices that work fine for a few weeks will work fine for their designed life span, and the unusual breakage that sometimes occurs is in switches and other mechanical parts that are easy and (most often) inexpensive to repair compared to boards and other electronic assemblies.

The only "premature" failure I've had in dozens of preamps, amps, tuners etc over 50+ years was the power switch in my Hafler 500. My Apt Holman preamp lost a channel on the headphone output after 20+ years of daily use, which didn't bother me in the least - and the fix was about $50 as I recall.

The one exception to this is when electronic equipment is allowed to overheat. If it's stuck in closed cabinets, stacked without circulation between components etc, its expected time to failure can be greatly shortened.

That's pretty much what the statistics say as well. Either it has an issue right away or it makes it to a ripe old age (however long the manufacturer says it should live or longer).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

my experience is that schiit products are very easy to re-sell. they're well built and have very few moving parts so there's very little to go wrong.

I resold my Bifrost (this was before the era of multibit) with no problem at all. It was among a number of used items I put up at about the same time, and was if I recall correctly the first to sell.

I've listened to the Yggy (briefly), by the way, and liked it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

That's pretty much what the statistics say as well. Either it has an issue right away or it makes it to a ripe old age (however long the manufacturer says it should live or longer).

Exactly why I've several times bought demo units. You basically know they are going to work.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

+1

I think that a transferable warranty is not as usual. Pass Labs/First Watt is an exception. Nelson Pass allows transferable warranties and will even repair equipment for free outside of the warranty period. You just pay shipping. Evidently he gets so few claims that he feels he can offer this.

I emailed him when I was selling a J2 as the buyer was curious. He answers his own email and said that his failure rate was so low that he could do this plus he is a pretty cool guy who seems to give back.

I tend to buy my equipment used to get a better bag for the buck. I am however increasingly less inclined to buy from small overseas companies due to the issues of warranty returns and customer support. I own two Yggys and appreciate the fact that Schiit is located in my own country.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Exactly why I've several times bought demo units. You basically know they are going to work.

My dealer for decades (now very sadly deceased) was a firm believer in this, so he wouldn't sell anything in a sealed box. He burned in each and every piece he sold prior to delivery, sometimes for a week or more. Then he or his techs tested each unit after initial use but before delivery, to make sure it both sounded right and measured up to its stated specs. If a customer or potential customer insisted on an unopened, untested unit, he sent them packing.

My dealer for decades (now very sadly deceased) was a firm believer in this, so he wouldn't sell anything in a sealed box. He burned in each and every piece he sold prior to delivery, sometimes for a week or more. Then he or his techs tested each unit after initial use but before delivery, to make sure it both sounded right and measured up to its stated specs. If a customer or potential customer insisted on an unopened, untested unit, he sent them packing.

That's beyond impressive customer service. I can't imagine anything similar exists today?

JC

That's beyond impressive customer service. I can't imagine anything similar exists today?

I've not encountered it in years - and the demise of such business practices results from a sad societal error. We paid appropriately for Dan's knowledge, skill, experience, and resource base. He did not discount from retail price unless he got the item below dealer cost, and he always shared savings on his cost with his customers. He was always available with excellent, reasoned, fact-based information and advice. If he didn't know enough about a product that he didn't carry to make a valid comparison with one he did sell, he'd buy something from a competitor to find out about it (and resell it as a used piece at some later time).

The combination of using local retailers as a showroom for discounters and internet vendors helped kill such businesses, as did the sudden and insatiable demand for instant gratification. If Dan thought that a model he sold but didn't have in stock was a better choice for you than a piece he had on hand, he'd order it and follow his usual pre-delivery process before you could have it. If you had questions or concerns, he'd both deliver and set up the piece(s) and return as needed to listen with you and either educate you if you were wrong or make appropriate changes if you were right. He'd bring alternative units for comparison in your listening room. Nothing gave him greater pleasure than seeing how delighted his customers were with their systems and having the music they loved exactly as they wanted it.

I used a much loved and somewhat hot-rodded Marantz 7c for many years as my main preamp. Back in those days, I had a floor to ceiling rack with a Crown SX724, a Denon 3 head cassette deck, an FM tuner, bi- and triamplification (depending on my speaker setup) and the usual assortment of ancillaries that were, in retrospect, of little or no value to my listening pleasure, e.g. a parametric equalizer, dbx units. I even had a small Tektronix 'scope in a mounting plate I made from a blank Crown rack panel to match my tape deck and the IC150 and D150 with it. When the Apt Holman preamp came out (1980?), Dan learned about it and was intrigued enough to buy one. He used it at home for a few weeks before calling me to suggest that I borrow the Apt to wring out and see if I liked it as much as he did, before he decided to rep the product (which I loved and he took on). The Apt had enough I/O and switching to handle all the junk I thought I needed (which was unusual in a SS unit). Meanwhile, he'd use my 7c at home. As far as I know, he was still using my Marantz when he died - and I only recently sold the Apt when I went all digital except for my phono stage and PrimaLuna power amp.

That kind of dealer is certainly on the endangered list, if not already extinct.

Google "Schiit for sale". You'll find it.

In general, EBay, audiogon, sometimes Amazon, head-fi, and so on...

I think the asking prices are way too high, though. You'll see folks asking $1100 for a Gungnir Multibit that you can buy new with a five year warranty for $1249.

For my money, I'm steering clear of the whole Schiit hype parade. Might give them another look in a couple of years, when the crowd has moved on to the next bright, shiny thing.

• 2 weeks later...