IGNORED

To upgrade to Windows 10 or not on a Mac

I have a 2008 MacBook configured as Windows 7 running JRiver.

Works fine with Jremote even for SACD ISO files. Occasionally has a bit of a delay if changing songs too fast but not usually.

Virtually no fan noise and machine and none at chair a few feet away.

Microsoft wants to upgrade me for free but I am unclear how all of the mucking around I had to do with Bootcamp to get the Mac to works as a Windows machine would be affected.

Anyone see have comments or experiences.

My thought is to let sleeping dogs lie...

Don't break what ain't broken, and cherish W7 as long as possible... Not sure why you're not using Mac OS though.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Keep Win7. It's one of the few solid Windows OS versions in all its history. Over 50% of the Windows installations *worlwide* run win7. Very few of the F500 companies have moved to a Win 10.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Sounds good to me.

Having said that, would WIN 10 work correctly out of the shoot or would there be all sorts of issues with Bootcamp and drivers that would have to be reinstalled?

Just curious

Win10 worked fine via bootcamp on a i5 Mac Mini.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Windows 10 working out of the chute for me as well on a 2012 Mac Mini i7 and a 2012 Macbook Pro. The former running Boot Camp, the latter Parallels.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Keep Win7. It's one of the few solid Windows OS versions in all its history. Over 50% of the Windows installations *worlwide* run win7. Very few of the F500 companies have moved to a Win 10.

What do F500 companies have to do with home use? Some F500 were using XP until very recently. It would not surprise me if some still do.

[br]

My Bootcamp went flawlessly with Win 10 Pro and sounded great. Now I use that on my 2012 i7 Mini as a NAA. General consensus is that 8 sounds better than 7 and 10 (Pro) sounds better than 8.

Some features in Win 10 we don't like... Telemetry of info to MS, automatic updates, etc., but then there are Fidelizer and Audiophile Optimizer and Process Lasso to control that stuff.

There are more positives to Win 10 than negatives.

I have a 2008 MacBook configured as Windows 7 running JRiver.

Works fine with Jremote even for SACD ISO files. Occasionally has a bit of a delay if changing songs too fast but not usually.

Virtually no fan noise and machine and none at chair a few feet away.

Microsoft wants to upgrade me for free but I am unclear how all of the mucking around I had to do with Bootcamp to get the Mac to works as a Windows machine would be affected.

Anyone see have comments or experiences.

My thought is to let sleeping dogs lie...

I completely agree with your last paragraph.

When I purchased my current laptop in late 2014, the default OS was Win 8.1 Pro. After perusing the information available on:

Windows 8 Forums

... I exercised my downgrade option for Windows 7 Professional for the following two reasons:

• Microsoft System Image Backup, and ...
  • ... Aero Glass were both deprecated for Win 8.0.

That was one of many problems foe Win 8.0, but they were the major problem for me.

I can't imagine what it would be like not having them available.

Keep Win 7; you won't regret it.

Thanks for input

I got the laptop for about $300 5 years ago. Thus its pretty cheap. It is also very quiet and finding a Windows Pc this quite is problematic at this price point

I would expect Win 10 to run in Bootcamp, if the Win 10 install was the first Windows Install.

My question re: upgrading (which I don't think I will do) was would Windows 10 be expected to *upgrade without issue* on a Mac that has Bootcamp installed to allowed Win 7 to run. Or would you guys expect there to be issues with the Upgrade process.

FWIW, the processor on this machine (2008 model ) actually deals with SACD files without much hiccough. I5 processor not required..

Thanks

Thanks for input

I got the laptop for about $300 5 years ago. Thus its pretty cheap. It is also very quiet and finding a Windows Pc this quite is problematic at this price point

I would expect Win 10 to run in Bootcamp, if the Win 10 install was the first Windows Install.

My question re: upgrading (which I don't think I will do) was would Windows 10 be expected to *upgrade without issue* on a Mac that has Bootcamp installed to allowed Win 7 to run. Or would you guys expect there to be issues with the Upgrade process.

FWIW, the processor on this machine (2008 model ) actually deals with SACD files without much hiccough. I5 processor not required..

Thanks

I would do a fresh install. Use the Windows ISO downloader to get the Installer image, load it on a USB stick and install from there. Also get the latest version of Boot Camp (for the updated drivers) and put that on a USB stick to run immediately after the fresh install. There are online tutorials for installing W10 without using the Boot Camp installer.