IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

Hi Phil. I see that Windows Server 2019 is released and I have read reports that it sounds really good. I have also read that JPLAY 6.2, Minimserver and BubbleUPnP server also work well. I've read that AO does not work on WS2019. Can you please share your experience to date of WS2019 and let us know when a compatible beta might be released?

Hello

There is something in the works since a while... :) But i cannot say yet exactly when the public beta phase will start.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi,

I'm running AO on Windows Server 2016 and now like to create an image for quick restore if ever needed. Macrium Reflect is free for Windows 7 on my other computer but unfortunately not for Server editions. And I don't think 30 day trials are going to do much good here.

What's the recommended free(!) method? The internal Windows option is greyed out maybe because AO configured it this way? I also looked at a few other software packages.

Thanks

17 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

I believe to get the backup in WS2016 to work, you must activate backup using PowerShell. See this link. https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-backup-windows-server-2016/. I have used the backup in WS2016 to restore without problem. Be sure to use a USB stick to store the backup and set your BIOS for legacy to get it to work. JCR 

Many thanks for the tip.

I installed the feature but run into trouble at the guide's Configure Backups step. WS2016 tells me to use wlbadmin.msc which then throws a ''fatal error during the Windows Server Backup snap-in (wbadmin.msc) operation'', hinting at Volume Shadow Copy service. Even when I enable the service other errors follow.

Digging deeper costs time. If you have suggestions feel free.

6 hours ago, billg said:

I use clonezilla with good results.

I came across this Clonezilla page. Is that where you started? 

19 minutes ago, moriez said:

Many thanks for the tip.

I installed the feature but run into trouble at the guide's Configure Backups step. WS2016 tells me to use wlbadmin.msc which then throws a ''fatal error during the Windows Server Backup snap-in (wbadmin.msc) operation'', hinting at Volume Shadow Copy service. Even when I enable the service other errors follow.

Digging deeper costs time. If you have suggestions feel free.

I came across this Clonezilla page. Is that where you started? 

Here is a better place to start.

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-usage/clonezilla-live-usage.php

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I’m sorry that it is going badly. Are you using WS2016 in Desktop Experience (with GUI) or in core mode?  I have been able to backup using the native app in both modes. But I never could backup to a network share at all, or backup to a USB 3.0 stick without changing the BIOS on my server to recognize Legacy devices. Not sure if that latter point is related to what you are seeing. It’s really time consuming to troubleshoot WS2016 issues, and I’m no expert — just spent a lot of time to figure it out.  Sure, I got backups to work, but ultimately, I gave up running my server in core mode and went with the GUI — in my case, HDMI audio devices — which I was using for multichannel audio via Roon and AO — disappeared in core mode but would reappear in GUI mode.  Good luck!  JCR 

• 3 weeks later...

If you use a name with foreign character in your Windows 10 Pro installation and want to use autologon or shellreplacement in ServiceTool the computer stops because the program can't find the user. A workaround is of course to use a name with no foreign character. But this should be fixed.

I am using a Swedish Windows 10 Pro for the AudiophileOptimizer.

Hi AudioPhil,

I am wondering would AO benefits from using multi-core CPU like the 16-Core or 32-Core Threadripper?   Does AO limits or shut down any cores for optimized operation?   I am asking because somewhere I read that you had advised disabling hyper-threading.

Let us know.  Thanks!

(Audio)

I run AO and Fidelizer Pro on a Windows Server 2016 Core machine, using an evaluation copy of Windows.

I purchased a Retail license of Server 2016, but have had no success installing the Microsoft Product Key.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I first need to “reset” AO?  Any help would be sincerely

appreciated.  Thanks

On 10/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, sgb said:

If you use a name with foreign character in your Windows 10 Pro installation and want to use autologon or shellreplacement in ServiceTool the computer stops because the program can't find the user. A workaround is of course to use a name with no foreign character. But this should be fixed.

I am using a Swedish Windows 10 Pro for the AudiophileOptimizer.

Yes this is absolutely correct. Do not user special characters in the username. If this has been done, changing the username will not fix the issue. You must create a new user without special characters.

Important: This is a design decision of microsofts CMD interpreter. There is nothing we could do about or against it. Its a flaw in the design of microsoft... (they will never fix that, it is that way since more than 20 years...)

____________________________________________________________________________________

On 10/29/2018 at 9:03 AM, Audio said:

Hi AudioPhil,

I am wondering would AO benefits from using multi-core CPU like the 16-Core or 32-Core Threadripper?   Does AO limits or shut down any cores for optimized operation?   I am asking because somewhere I read that you had advised disabling hyper-threading.

Let us know.  Thanks!

(Audio)

AO itself will not benefit, it only needs one core to run. the past showed that having two or four cores is optimal for audio playback. Having more won't hurt but also bring no benefit in terms of sound quality.

Hyper-Threading and similar mechanisms schould ALWAYS be disabled! please refer to our manual for optimal BIOS configuration: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer-setup-guide.pdf

On 10/30/2018 at 5:48 AM, ms012873 said:

I run AO and Fidelizer Pro on a Windows Server 2016 Core machine, using an evaluation copy of Windows.

I purchased a Retail license of Server 2016, but have had no success installing the Microsoft Product Key.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I first need to “reset” AO?  Any help would be sincerely

appreciated.  Thanks

Please see Page 24 of the PDF guide: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/PDF/audiophile-optimizer-setup-guide.pdf

Hi Phill, I am a 62yr old male, who is a minor tech savvy person. Wondering if I would be capable of installing AO on my own without pulling what's left of my hair out? I started to read the manual. It's very long. I am interested in a "core" setup. At the moment I am using Jrivers. What do you think? No worries or insane to try?

p.kogan

18 hours ago, Pkoegz said:

Hi Phill, I am a 62yr old male, who is a minor tech savvy person. Wondering if I would be capable of installing AO on my own without pulling what's left of my hair out? I started to read the manual. It's very long. I am interested in a "core" setup. At the moment I am using Jrivers. What do you think? No worries or insane to try?

p.kogan

Hello Pkoegz

Our jungest AO user is 7 years old and the oldes we are aware of is 82. One of the main goals of AO is to open up this sometimes complicated computer audio world to normal users who just want to enjoy the best possible sound quality. AO packs thousands of rather complicated things into the push of a few buttons. So i would say yes for sure AO is suited for you.

Yes the manual is pretty long, it is like that because it covers so many aspects of computer audio (soft- and hardware) aside from the AudiophileOptimizer itself. It is thought as a complete "how to guide" from A-Z instead of just focusing on the AudiophileOptimizer and leave you in the dark with the 100 other questions that will arise. Take your time to go through the manual, it will answer almost all questions before they even arise :) AO will do the rest for you within a few minutes.

Enjoy it,

AudioPhil

On 11/5/2018 at 2:23 AM, gonefishing said:

Hello Phil

Regarding shell replacement 

- bypass Explorer/Desktop in GUI mode for better Sound Quality

With the new JPLAY Femto could you create shell? for AO

Thanks

John

Hi

What? A shell replacement which starts AO? i'm pretty sure i'm getting this wrong :)

Or you probably mean one that starts JPLAY FEMTO?

3 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Hi

What? A shell replacement which starts AO? i'm pretty sure i'm getting this wrong :)

Or you probably mean one that starts JPLAY FEMTO?

Hi Phil, sorry my poor grammar. I’m not 100% certain what the shell does in AO. The new JPLAYFemto (server) software does run as service in task manager, the services are JPLAYFemto and JPLAYService, would there be a benefit for a shell in AO for JPLAY.

Thanks

John