IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

1 hour ago, billg said:

I copied the AO directory (2.20b6) across to the problem computer and ran audiophile_core.exe -u successfully. Not sure if there's any more I need to do.

Perfectly fine!

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi,

after letting down Windows Server 2012 and AO during about five years for Linux, in particular  fedora Linux distribution minimal install with different players (LMS + Squeezelite then RoonBridge), on my PC player I've decided to return to a Windows server based configuration.

This Fedora configuration with Planet CCRMA RT kernel has given me an excellent SQ.

But with Linux I was unable to get native DSD playback with my newly upgraded Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2v2se.

So I decided to give another chance to Windows Server 2012 + AO configuration as ASIO drivers for my DAC allow native DSD playback.

A couple of days ago I've reinstalled my Windows Server 2012 Standard and ordered for an upgrade to AO2.10 (my latest version was 1.26)... Audiophil suggested me to directly download 2.20b6 version.  I've installed the drivers for my DAC, my SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe card , Roonbridge and I have setup AO.

Wow!! SQ is impressive and finally now better than with my fedora config. I was able to compare both configs as they were installed on two different SSD (better soundstage with more relief and focalisation, deeper but controlled basses, more beautiful sound and even more natural, better attacks, very fluid) and I get native DSD playback!!! 

Audiophil has improved AO a lot since version 1.26. ;)

Today, he has suggested  me to try Windows Server 2016 core.... I must convince that SQ has improved again... Incredible.... All the criterias I've written above are even better.

Note that my favorite sound signature is 4 and digital filter is D.

Congratulations to Audiophil for this good job!!! I apologize bothering him with my emails today. ;)

In Windows Server 2016 Core mode I just experience a problem.

When I make a shell replacement for roonbridge to get it on windows startup the cmd windows doesn't appear anymore on start up (only black screen). I Have to open task manager with "CTRL + SHIFT + ESC -> File ->Run a new task ->cmd" to open it.

Is it a normal behaviour?

Note that it is not a big problem as I mainly use this player PC headless. ;)

I reply myself to the problem I noticed last night.

In fact, as English is not my native language, at first time reading the setup guide, I didn’t understand all the subtilty concerning the meaning of “shell replacement” I thought that it was made to start a player but it replace the command prompt window and as Roonbridge has no GUI I get a black screen. I hope I understand now.
In fact I haven’t use this feature with Windows server 2012 because I’ve installed GUI mode first and enabled Roonbridge on Windows start up in Windows tray. So switching in core mode I didn’t need to do shell replacement.

Is there a way to get Roonbridge running at Windows startup without passing to shell replacement or is it the safer way?

Perhaps something to do in registry?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

The idea of a shell replacement is to:

- bypass Explorer/Desktop in GUI mode for better Sound Quality

- to Autostart MediayPlayer XY

If one sets let‘s say RoonServer as shell replacement it is perfectly fine and intended to end up with a black screen. This is because RoonServer is like a service, ir just has no graphical output.

in your case, the shell replacement is the perfect solution.

FYI: Shell replacement is best combined with „Autologon“. Borh together will result in a machine that boots up, logs in AND starts the mediaplayer just by the press of the power button.

____________________________________________________________________________________

OK, Phil many thanks for your clarifications. :)

I can confirm the excellence of the SQ obtained with AO on Windows Server 2016 it highlights even more the qualities of my Wyred 4 Sound DAC- upgraded to v2se.

I thought I get the top of vinyl LP like sounding with my Fedora light optimized configuration but Windows Server 2012 core mode and even more Windows Server 2016 Core mode + AO are beating it by far on this sounding aspect especially with Sound Signature 4 and Digital Filter D.

I really like what I'm hearing and very important thing with native DSD playback ability. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION:

Windows 10 Redstone 4 (Spring update) has not yet been tested with AO. I recommend to not yet install the latest Windows 10 updates.

if you still want to, feel free to try out and report any issues should they arise.

But don‘t expect an immediate fix for possible upcoming issues, rather have an image backup ready to roll back if needed.

Best,

AudioPhil

1 hour ago, AudioPhil said:

ATTENTION:

Windows 10 Redstone 4 (Spring update) has not yet been tested with AO. I recommend to not yet install the latest Windows 10 updates.

if you still want to, feel free to try out and report any issues should they arise.

But don‘t expect an immediate fix for possible upcoming issues, rather have an image backup ready to roll back if needed.

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks Phil,

Does this also apply to Server 2016 updates?

B

Hello all

Just did a fresh installation of Windows 10 Creators Update and then updated to Spring Creators Update (Redstone 4).

Just made a few basic tests with AO 2.20 Beta 6 and so far all is working fine including Setup and ServiceTool.

Those who like to update:

- take an image backup of your working installation

- Update to Spring Creators Update

- Report your experience here (both if all works fine and also if any problems should arise)

Best,

AudioPhil

On 3/28/2018 at 12:42 AM, AudioPhil said:

The idea of a shell replacement is to:

- bypass Explorer/Desktop in GUI mode for better Sound Quality

- to Autostart MediayPlayer XY

If one sets let‘s say RoonServer as shell replacement it is perfectly fine and intended to end up with a black screen. This is because RoonServer is like a service, ir just has no graphical output.

in your case, the shell replacement is the perfect solution.

FYI: Shell replacement is best combined with „Autologon“. Borh together will result in a machine that boots up, logs in AND starts the mediaplayer just by the press of the power button.

This is a newby question but how do you exit the black screen mentioned above?

On 10.4.2018 at 7:35 PM, AudioPhil said:

Hello all

Just did a fresh installation of Windows 10 Creators Update and then updated to Spring Creators Update (Redstone 4).

Just made a few basic tests with AO 2.20 Beta 6 and so far all is working fine including Setup and ServiceTool.

Those who like to update:

- take an image backup of your working installation

- Update to Spring Creators Update

- Report your experience here (both if all works fine and also if any problems should arise)

Best,

AudioPhil

Anyone? Anything? Good or bad?

Hello guys,

As I have been using Bughead as my music player, I've come across an issue in Windows server 2012 core mode.

• When it's opened in core mode, this happens:

20180420_153604.thumb.jpg.e799c6b5f0074b086b0f515e4844e61b.jpg

When it's in Windows 10, this is what it should look like.

12.thumb.JPG.65d03d6ffc9980d402eed45039049492.JPG

All I wanted to ask is there any way to open it normally (just like in Windows 10) in core mode without changing it back to GUI?

14 minutes ago, Marco_TAM said:

Hello guys,

As I have been using Bughead as my music player, I've come across an issue in Windows server 2012 core mode.

• When it's opened in core mode, this happens:

20180420_153604.thumb.jpg.e799c6b5f0074b086b0f515e4844e61b.jpg

When it's in Windows 10, this is what it should look like.

12.thumb.JPG.65d03d6ffc9980d402eed45039049492.JPG

All I wanted to ask is there any way to open it normally (just like in Windows 10) in core mode without changing it back to GUI?

Please contact the bug head developer to get this sorted out.

Best,

AudioPhil

On 4/16/2018 at 5:07 AM, AudioPhil said:

Anybody any issues who update to the latest Windows Updates?

Latest news re Windows 10 Spring Update.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3030789/microsoft-windows-10-spring-update-today-could-be-the-day

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It seems the name is still unclear, it's either Spring Creators update or probably will be called "April update". Either way, it will work fine with the final release of AO 2.20 https://www.highend-audiopc.com/changelog

Best,

AudioPhil

• 2 months later...

Hi Phil, just tried a different sound profile. I run AO in core mode so I minimised JRiver to get the dos window then entered AO, went to advanced and changed the profile ( trying your preference) then the dos prompt went back to the starting point but the header of the dos screen got stuck on "finishing". Gave up waiting after about 10mins so I restarted the PC, haven't had chance to listen yet but even though got stuck on finishing do you think the profile has updated ok?

Thanks