IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

Hi Phil. I haven't kept up with the beta programme recently. I was still on AO 2.10. I installed 2.20 Beta 4 on my Dual PC setup (Windows Server 2012 R2 in Core Mode on both computers with Minimserver and Audiophile Optimizer 7.6 Pro) and there was an improvement in sound quality. Some posts on the JPLAY Forum indicated that WS2016 in GUI Mode offered an improvement over WS2012 in Core Mode. I couldn't resist and reinstalled both machines. It is sounding really good. I would love to run in Core Mode but doubt that I have the ability or understanding to set it up. Is there any possibility that you might at some point in the future, be able to offer GUI Mode to Core Mode as a utility in Service Tool. That really would be something if it could be done!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for Beta 5 Phil. It is very late at night here and I don't have time to listen in detail, much less to figure out how to set up my system using WS2016 Core Mode.

Just wanted to say that as always, upgrading was absolutely hassle free and all the rest of my software works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil. I have been running AO 2.20 Beta 5 on my dual PC setup since its release. It's great and certainly offers a sonic upgrade over previous vesrions. A couple of questions if I may ...

I tried changing the shell on my Control PC to Minimserver. This seems to offer a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Would you expect running my Control PC with Minimserver as shell to sound better.

I am yet to try to get WS2016 running in Core Mode. It all looks a little daunting for the 'computer idiot' such as myself. Are future versions of AO likely to make core installation and setup easier? If so I'll hold fire for the time being. Although a further improvement in sound quality would be good, I'm quite happy with the sound that I am getting.

Your advice on these two points would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone

At present I am running WS2016 in Dual PC configuration. I have AO 2.20 Beta 5 installed. I'm not going to do it yet as it seems likely that in subsequent versions of AO 2.20, it will become easier for the less experienced and knowledgeable such as myself to set up WS2016 in Core Mode.

Connection between my Control PC and Audio PC is via Ethernet cable. If I were to run Core Mode, would I be able to maintain the wireless connection between my Control PC and my router? I need this in order to run a Samsung Galaxy tablet to control my setup via WiFi.

Thanks kaka.

So a question to all on this thread. If I try to run WS2016 in Core Mode, I will need to install the driver for my M2Tech HiFace Evo and Minimserver. Phil has published a guide on how to install Minimserver and Java so I can follow that. What about installing the M2Tech driver? Any potential pitfalls there or can I just simply do it by running the installation exe file from Q-Dir?

I also like to run JRiver Media Center for cataloging and library purposes. Will that install OK in Core Mode? And how to I bring up the Control Panel to set up the fixed IP addresses to establsih communication between Control PC and Audio PC?

Finally ... Is there a decent online guide to setting up WS2016 in Core Mode? The link would be very handy!

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions. I want to find out as much as I can before trying it. I have next week off work so I am tempted to give it a go!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the update Phil

Could I please ask if I should have removed Fidelizer Pro 8 prior to installing the update. I left Fidelizer running and the update was not problematic in any way although I wondered if I should have Been Fidelizer free before updating AO

Secondly, I am currently running WS2016 on both my audio PC and control PC. I have it set up in GUI mode and would like to try core mode. Given my limited knowledge, is there a tutorial to setup audio apps in WS2016 core to which I might refer?

• 2 weeks later...

Are the benefits of WASAPI only applicable when running in Core Mode?

I am still running GUI mode in WS2016. I will try setting up in Core when install instructions are included in an update AO Manual. Any idea when this revised manual might be available please Phil?

6 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Hi JazzDoc

In GUI mode you get all WASAPI, KS and ASOI "out of the box". Considering 2016 GUI sounds even better than 2012 R2 but is totally hassle-free i think 2016 GUI is the route to go for you :) The 2016-updated manual will be inlcuded with the next AO release (not 2.20).

Best,

AudioPhil

Thanks for the reply Phil. I tried selecting WASAPI in JPLAY but ti didn't work. My usual settings are KS with dACLink set to 1, Buffer set to 10 and Xtream size at 1000. I use Classic engine and disabled Hibernate as I read somewhere that Hibernate did not work with WASAPI. I use M2Tech HiFace Evo and when I tried WASAPI, the green light indicated that the HiFace Evo is receiving a digital signal failed to illuminate. Have I done something wrong here?

Earlier today, Marcin posted the following on the JPLAY Forum:

"From a technical point of view, it's impossible for WASAPI to sound better than KS. At least not via JPLAY."

I wonder if he is implying that it is theoretically not possible for WASAPI to sound better than KS or whether he is stating that WASAPI will not sound better than KS via JPLAY

6 hours ago, thuandb said:

Now that I've listened a bit more, I realized that this is actually a win-win situation, that we poor audionuts now have a choice, that whether we prefer one over another depends on our HW, SW, tweaks, optimizations, moods and personal tastes.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice as try as I might, I can't get WASAPI to work.

I have dual PC setup with JPLAY 6.2/AO 2.20b6/Fidelizer Pro 8 (Control PC and Audio PC)/M2Tech HiFace Evo/Minimserver/Linn Kinsky. I have played around with settings but cannot find one that will get the green light indicating that a stream is being received by the HiFace Evo. I selected WASAPI optimization in AO on both machines.I run Classic engine in JPLAY and have tried with Hibernate on and off.

Please forgive my ignorance but do I need to install any others drivers or software to get WASAPI to work (This shouldn't be the case as Phil has assured me that it will work out of the box) and do I need to inject WASAPI (Whatever that might mean!)

I am running WS2016 on both my Control PC and Audio PC in GUI mode. Do I need to run in Core to get WASPI to work? I will not attempt to install Core until Phil published the updated manual that includes setup instructions for Core. I find Phil's manual and the setup instructions contained therein to be a real positive strength of AO. As soon as that updated manual is published, I'll have a go with Core.

My system runs fine in KS and sound really good. I only want to try WASAPI out of curiosity. If anyone has any ideas that will enable me to get it to run on my setup, I would be grateful.

3 hours ago, Franatic said:

JD, run "AO -WASAPI"  in your audio PC to INJECT the WASAPI function. I can't run it in my WS2012R2 machine. Perhaps this will push me to try WS2016. Let me know if you get it working. Phil gave instructions here:

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2321-wasapi-in-core-mode-all-you-need-to-know/

Thanks for the reply Franatic. I tried the procedure that you suggested on my Audio PC and once again, got nothing. I'm happy with KS though. It's not a problem.

• 7 months later...

Hi Phil. I see that Windows Server 2019 is released and I have read reports that it sounds really good. I have also read that JPLAY 6.2, Minimserver and BubbleUPnP server also work well. I've read that AO does not work on WS2019. Can you please share your experience to date of WS2019 and let us know when a compatible beta might be released?

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil

I am running a dual PC setup with JPLAY Femto/BubbleUPnP on my Control PC and JPLAY Femto (Femtoserver disabled) on my Audio PC. I have AO on both machines, Fidelizer Pro on both machines and Process Lasso on the Audio PC only. I run my Control PC with Fidelizer Pro as the shell rather than GUI. The only other software on my Audio PC is the driver for my M2Tech HiFace Evo. I have the full WS2016 GUI on my Audio PC. Can I run my Audio PC with a different shell and if so, which one should I chose? Would this offer a worthwhile improvement in sound quality?

Thanks

5 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Having the AudioPC in Core would be the best way. if you do not log in on the audiopc there is little difference to no shell replacement, so you should be fine with your current setup

Thanks for the reply Phil. As you are aware, I have limited computer audio skills and knowledge and found that getting JPLAY Femto to work was a real challenge for me. Marcin at JPLAY helped me out a lot to get me up and running. Installing WS in Core is something that I am yet to take on. I think that for the time being, I still stay with what I have. The sound with JPLAY Femto is really good and offers a very significant improvement over JPLAY 6.2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've joined the beta programme for Audiophile Optimizer 3. I was previously running WS2016 (Dual PC) in a dual PC setup with JPLAY Femto. I also use Fidelizer Pro 8.3. My music is stored on eight external USB drives. Five are plugged into an six socket USB hub. The sixth socket has another USB hub connected and the final three external drives plug into that. All drives and both USB hubs have their own power supplies. This arrangement works fine with WS2016 but it seems not to work well with WS2019. Sometimes on boot, my Control PC will hang on the manufacturer's screen at the beginning of the boot sequence.When this happens, I can hold the power button in and turn off the power (The Control PC is otherwise unresponsive), wait for a short while and power up again and it will book OK. I know it's not a great solution but can anyone please tell me why this is happening with WS2019 and how to fix it? Thanks

BTW Phil ... WS2019/AO3 Beta is producing some very nice music. If only I could sort that problem with the external USB drives!

Got it sorted. Unplugged all the drives, disconnected them from the mains and then plugged them all back in individually. Seems to have solved the difficulty with multiple external drives that I had.

It sounds really good. I haven't done too much listening yet but the improved bass performance is the first thing that I noticed with WS2019/AO3 Beta.

As always Phil, your software is very thoroughly developed, even at beta stage. Just hit the install exe and let it do its thing. AO has always been that way. Perfect fro computer idiots like me!

Will post further impressions when I have listened more but everything is good at the moment.

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil. I have installed the Beta32 update and am now experiencing problems with playback stoppages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled BubbleUPnP and that has improved but not resolved the issue. Whn I reach the end of a track, playback will stop for two or three seconds and then resume. I am running dual PC setup (i3/8GB for Audio PC and i5/8GB for Control PC). Other software is JPLAY Femto/Fidelizer Pro 8/Process Lasso. Is there anything in Beta32 that makes it more resources hungry? Perhaps I will try lowering the DAC Link value in JPLAY Settings Panel to see if that makes any difference.

When I installed Beta32 and ran AO, I was not given the option to disable network related services. Is this how it should be. I presume that when running AO on my Control PC, I should disable drivers and services?

Hi Phil. I just couldn't get my setup to run correctly with Beta 32. Lots of playback stoppages and at the end of yesterday evening, failure to move from one track to the next in an album. Someoin advised me to load Beta 32 on a fresh install so I did that today. I played 3 albums of different resolutions without any problems. No stoppages and no loss of JPLAY Femto as the selected renderer. Then I ran AO on both ControlPC and Audio PC. I started by playing a 24/96 album and after 3 tracks playback stopped. Perhaps just a minor glitch? I'm hoping that it was. I'm playing a 24/48 album now. It's just stopped on the second track! Let's see if it can get through that without stopping. I thought Beta 31 was great but unlike other users, I am less than impressed with Beta 32 so far. Without running AO, it worked faultlessly. With AO, I've tried playing two albums. Both have failed. As with any new install, I'll leave it to bed it for a couple of days but if I can't get it to work, I'll do a reset and wait for Beta 33.

13 hours ago, JazzDoc said:

Hi Phil. I just couldn't get my setup to run correctly with Beta 32 ... Please refer to full post above

Hi Phil. I think I may have found an issue that was causing the problem. I'll try to explain it and would welcome your feedback. As you are aware, I am not particularly technical so please bear with me if my description is imprecise. Following an installation of WS2019, I connect to the Internet using a wired connection and then activate WS2019 and install AO3 Beta. I obviously need Wi-Fi capability on the Control PC to establish connectivity between it and my Samsung Galaxy tablet. On my Audio PC, I need an Internet connection to activate WS2019 and install AO3 Beta.I also install a piece of software called Auslogics Driver Updater, which installs missing drivers and updates any that are out of date. When I've run this software, I uninstall the application. Having activated WS2019 and installed AO3 Beta on my Control PC, I run Service Tool to enable auto logon and install WLAN support. With the Ethernet cable plugged in, WS2019 correctly identifies my router, let's call it BTHub1234. When wireless LAN support is installed, I find that I cannot connect to BTHub1234 with a wireless connection. When I look at the connections offered, I notice a new one after installing wireless LAN support. It shows up as BTHub1234_Ext. I can connect my Control PC to the router using the _Ext option. I noticed that although my Control PC was now connected to the router with a wireless LAN connection to BTHub1234_Ext, I still had my Samsung Galaxy tablet connected to BTHub1234, which established a wireless connection without any problems. Am I connecting my Control PC and Samsung Galaxy tablet on a different subnet and could this have been the cause of the connectivity problems that I was experiencing/ Either way, I connected both my Control PC and tablet to BTHub1234_Ext and everything seems fine now. I also lowered the DAC Link in JPLAY to 1. I preferred the sound and I believe that using a lower DAC Link value puts less strain on the processor. For now, everything is working and sounding really good.