IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

In terms of processes too - in b4, with Roon and MinimServer running, I had 53 processes. With b5, with the exact same settings, I am at 55 processes.

Perhaps surprising, because Phil says you can have up to 14 more disabled services in beta 5, but I suppose it depends on your requirements.  Also, Windows 10 Enterprise is already more stripped down than Pro.

Creators Update brings many more svchost processes.  Most services now run in their own svchost process rather than a shared svchost process.  This is actually good for reliability and serviceability.  It also makes it easier to stop unwanted services (fewer dependencies).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 minutes ago, planner said:

Anyone here with the same issue and how do you resolve it?

If you installed Microsoft updates that were released 5/9, you need HQPlayer 3.16.3.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, I found this interesting article.  I'd appreciate your comments re whether AO overcomes these issues on Windows 10.  If it's an issue on Windows 10 Enterprise, it's certainly also an issue on Pro.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3010547/microsoft-appears-to-be-blatently-ignoring-privacy-group-settings-in-windows-10

OK, so another question.  It seems everyone agrees that Windows Server 2016 sounds better than Windows 10.  I'm not familiar with Server editions ... is Essentials sufficient to get core mode and get the maximum benefit from AO?

Is Windows Server 2016 free from the privacy issues highlighted in this article?

After a while struggling with Windows 10, the price of Windows Server 2016 doesn't look so bad.O.o 

7 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

For Windows 10 I made an "Anti Piracy" feature. It works pretty simply by rerouting all the requests to know Microsoft Servers to a non existent address. So basically it does not matter if Windows does or does not tries to contact those Microsoft servers, because if it does it won't reach the target anyway.

What does matters is that Windows 10 is still doing all the processing to collect the data and try to exfiltrate it, and they keep changing the servers.  Actually, the privacy exposure bothers me less than the unnecessary code execution.  That's why I ask whether this issue is as big a deal in Server 2016.

• 5 months later...

How do I change from D4 (selected on my initial run) to something else like C3?   The PDF hints that it's so easy you can A/B test different combinations, but it's not clear to me how to do it.

@AudioPhil I know you just said not to manually tinker with the running services.  Can you please explain why you leave the following services running ... they seem unnecessary.

lmhosts

QWAVE

stisvc

Are there not also some more scheduled tasks that could be disabled?

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 11:21 AM, AudioPhil said:

But there are also demotivating news, at least for us. For all this hard work we received an total of 8 donations.
Eight donatios, amazing, isn't it? I might be wrong, but i think it's pretty disappointing to have over 1000 downloads, zero issues, hundreds of hours of work, yet another free update coming soon, many free updates in the past and then having this result. Hope this brings a few people to reconsider their own way of thinking and acting...

As someone who just bought AO in October 2017 and paid 129 CHF, I was mystified and somewhat put off by your post.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty new to AO and running Beta 5.  Today I looked at Windows Update history and found a bunch of quality updates.

There are 4 that are saying 'requires a restart to finish installing'.  But if I restart the system, they don't get installed.

Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4033631)

2018-01 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4056887)

2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4053580)

2017-11 Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4049011)

There are another 2 updates that say 'successfully installed' on 2/19

Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4056254)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)

So how can this happen?  I thought that Windows Update was disabled by AO, so how did those 2 updates get installed on 2/19?

Also, how do I get the 4 updates that are pending restart to actually install?

I know beta 6 is out.  I'd appreciate a quick review of the steps required to move from beta 5 to beta 6 because I've never updated AO before.  I just bought AO in October.

1 hour ago, dtb300 said:

Did you run the Win10 Strip Down with AO from Service Tool?

Yes I did.

1 hour ago, dtb300 said:

Beta 5 to Beta 6 - Run ST -r first, then install B6 over B5. Run AO again.

After running ST -r, should I apply the accumulated quality updates (Windows Update) before installing B6? 

I still don't understand how I got 2 updates installed if AO turns off automatic maintenance, and I assume the 4 updates that require a restart would get installed if I did a restart after running ST -r?

17 minutes ago, dtb300 said:

Sounds like - a guess -   Before you ran the Win10 strip down, Windows was downloading updates for installed packages/features.

Nope.  I installed AO beta 5 and ran Win10 strip down back in October.  The updates listed in my above post weren't even available at that time ... they came out in the November 2017 - February 2018 timeframe.

Thanks for the input, I will have another look at the manual re Strip Down & Repair Windows 10.  No way I want to reinstall. 

37 minutes ago, dtb300 said:

FYI - AO 2.20B6 supports the Creators Update - see changelog posted in this thread.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Beta 5 supported Creators Update.  Beta 6 supports the Fall Creators Update which I am not yet running.  So I should have been fine on beta 5.

Thanks to everyone who has offered some ideas.  Where the heck is Phil?

Just now, AudioPhil said:

...back alive! was in bed for nearly two weeks. very happy to be halfway able to sit straight again :)

I'm glad you're better and thank you for answering my question.  I will do a careful review of which AO options I'm using when I update to beta 6.

9 minutes ago, dtb300 said:

Did you ever try running ST (space) -r or choice "A" in Service Tool GUI, then after reboot, did your updates install?

I'll let you know when I try it.  Right now I'm evaluating a new piece of equipment, so I don't want to change the software yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this article is of interest to anyone running a Windows 10 audio PC.  Microsoft is forcing updates even if you have Windows Update turned off.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3028147/updategate-microsoft-is-forcing-windows-10-build-1709-to-users-who-opted-out

@AudioPhil I just downloaded beta 6.  When I tried to extract from the zip file, I got 'the zip folder is invalid'.  I tried this on both mirrors.  It seems to download only a partial file even though the file size is right.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

@AudioPhil I just downloaded beta 6.  When I tried to extract from the zip file, I got 'the zip folder is invalid'.  I tried this on both mirrors.  It seems to download only a partial file even though the file size is right.

Resolved.  Don't even ask.  I have no idea why my earlier download got corrupted.

When I booted my AO beta 5 system (running the original Creators Update) I got a message saying the latest security updates can't be installed unless I install the latest version of Windows 10.  See the article in theinquirer.net referenced in my previous post.

I had planned to update to beta 6.  I know the PDF says you can just install beta 6 on top of beta 5, but I decided to first do a ServiceTool option A reset.  Microsoft downloaded the Fall Creators Update (1709) and forced a restart half an hour later.

So after about 20 minutes I am back up running FCU.  But this messed up my wifi connection.  I had to do a network reset (which broke my bridged network adapter).  OK now I got my wifi working again, and I will have to recreate the bridged network adapter.  Then I'm ready to run AO 2.20 beta 6 (which supports FCU) and I should be OK again.

Oh, I forgot.  After the FCU update, Windows Update wanted to apply several other quality updates ... another couple of restarts.

Has nobody else encountered this forced update to FCU?  Good thing @AudioPhil has support ready in beta 6.  Thank you, Phil!

1 minute ago, dtb300 said:

Are you running AO B6 which support Creators Update???

AO B5 supported the original Creators Update Version 1703.  AO B6 supports the Fall Creators Update Version 1709.

Just now, dtb300 said:

Was not replying to you.....

I realize that but @juanitox did not explicitly say whether he was referring to the original Creators Update or FCU.  I was trying to help.

3 hours ago, mozes said:

Has anyone noticed that one can’t disable Cortana after the latest windows update?

I updated my system to Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) and AO B6 disables Cortana to the same extent it did before.

I still have a task called Cortana in task manager, but if you right click on it and select 'Go to details' it is really just SearchUI.exe which is that magnifying glass icon at the bottom left of the screen .  It is suspended until you actually type something into the Search Windows box.

Are you saying you are seeing the real Cortana there instead of just the Search Windows box?  If so, that is not my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

@AudioPhil have you had a look at Windows Server 2019 preview yet?  I'm just wondering whether you have an initial impression about the sound quality potential vs Windows Server 2016.

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2018 at 5:07 AM, AudioPhil said:

Anybody any issues who update to the latest Windows Updates?

Latest news re Windows 10 Spring Update.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3030789/microsoft-windows-10-spring-update-today-could-be-the-day

• 6 months later...

@AudioPhil  now that Windows 10 Version 1809 (October 2018 Update) is rolling out again after a few MS missteps, does the current AO support it?

13 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

I see absolutely no issues coming due to the 1809 upgrade, so please feel free and go on with AO 2.20.

Thanks, Phil ... but today I read an article saying that network drive mapping is messed up in Version 1809 and that MS doesn't plan to fix it until after year end!

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3066503/microsoft-wont-fix-the-network-mapping-borkage-in-windows-10-until-2019