IGNORED

HDMI output from computer? What HDMI output?

On 12/15/2018 at 10:18 AM, CornanTheIowan said:

Just a bit of an update. My status after posting on boards like this was that Microsoft DLNA didn't work, JRiver didn't work and the JRiver diagnostics program (WhiteBear?) didn't help me get connected either.  Apparently because HDMI is a video standard you have to in some cases "fool" the video card into believing that video is present.

Since that time, probably due to some obsure fix buried deep in Windows, DLNA has "come to life" on my main computer system with no help from me, but it's clear that the computerphile and expensive audio people are focused almost exclusively on stereo (stereo started when, the 1950s ???).

There was an expensive multi-channel streaming device that I didn't pursue and another reasonably price unit on the horizon, but wouldn't work for some other reason that I don't recall clearly.

I would still love to hear of software that would work on my systems and especially work with multi-channel sound.  I'll settle for 5.1, though Dolby Atmos would be cool.

After years of using a laptop + external drive + HDMI to play my collection, in 2017 I turned an old (vintage 2010) spare Dell desktop into my dedicated 'music server' by installing a  used Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4550 PCIe card I found on ebay for $25.  It has an HDMI output.  The Dell's OS is Win 10, 'storage' is a pocket-sized 2TB WD external drive connected to the Dell via USB,  using foobar2k playback software with the WASAPI output plugin for bit-perfect data transmission to my AVR, which does any necessary decoding (e.g. of DTS).   The Dell is networked and I control foobar2k wirelessly from a tablet running the 'foobar2000 controller" app from the Google Play store. This setup plays every multichannel format I've thrown at it short of DSD (by choice; I always store DSD as PCM files). 

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2016 at 11:02 AM, mansr said:

That's not quite accurate. The HDMI spec makes no mention of cable length. There are requirements for the signal quality at the far end, that's all. How you meet them is of no concern. In practice, it turns out that making a compliant cable longer than about 15 feet is difficult, which is why that's the longest you'll normally come across.

Actually, many of us with projectors use HDMI cables that are much longer than 15 feet.

As for the observation by Fitzcaraldo215 that Nvidia graphics cards weren’t able in the past to do 88.4 and 176.8 kHz audio, that is no longer true with the latest drivers.

Finally, I routinely listen to multichannel music using the HDMI outputs of my Windows computer (employing JRiver) and my Roon ROCK. Both sound very good to me.