IGNORED

Tidal Now Has Chromecast Support!

Anyone having issues playing to grouped cca's?

No, it works very well. I've been using the multi-room feature for a long time and never faced any issues. They even sync well and play without any lag or delay.

Only issue would be proper wifi coverage for all CCA devices and if you have one of the newer routers with dual or tri band networks, make sure they are all on the same network. I have multiple networks, a dual band router and another router that also works as repeater, and all CCA devices have to be on the same network... easily done during setup in the CCA app by selecting the same network.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...
My CCA started working again. Now if I could just get Tidal to work with my Google Cast TV...

FWIW, Tidal now works on my (Sony) Google Cast TV. As a bonus, it responds to transport control commands from the TV remote control, so I can cast a playlist from my phone, and my wife can pause or skip a song without having to find her phone, open the app, and turn on casting.

• 1 month later...

Cant get chrome-cast to work on my notebook. Works fine ion my Android phone, but not in my notebook. Simply no cast option. All other casting works fine on my note book ven if I cast from the tidal websuite - yiu tube you name it all OK - but if I use the Tidal all no cast button

Thanks

Bill

Cant get chrome-cast to work on my notebook. Works fine ion my Android phone, but not in my notebook. Simply no cast option. All other casting works fine on my note book ven if I cast from the tidal websuite - yiu tube you name it all OK - but if I use the Tidal all no cast button

Thanks

Bill

Are you using the Chrome browser or some other setup?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chrome browser works fine but the desktop app fails. Trouble is broweser looks funny on screen - the android image is much nicer.

Working with some friemds to do a real hight end sound and visual setup but its rubbish like thid thast causes all sorts of issues.

Thanks

Bill

The sound quality of the optical output is totally fine with me. It's not the height of living, but it works for me in several scenarios outside my main system.

I'm using a Chromecast (video) in my main system, via the HDMI input on the rear of my Oppo BDP-105. Since that player already has its own Tidal app, I have little need to stream Tidal from my tablet or phone to the Chromecast. But, it is nice to have as an option. Do I expect optimal results? No. But I'm using the Chromecast strictly for convenience. I can change inputs on the Oppo without having to turn on the TV (I use the player almost exclusively for audio playback), and can then stream background music from the handful of streaming apps on my tablet (Pandora, TuneIn Radio, Tidal) with minimal fuss.

I may still spring for a Chromecast Audio for other systems in the house, and even the Oppo (if I ever needed that HDMI input for something else). And again, sound quality isn't the priority in that mode. Even gapless I can live without--it's only a very small subset of what I listen to. That's where I feel that article went overboard with critiquing this $35 device. 99% of people who buy this don't care about sound quality or gapless--it's a mass market item.

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, looks like we've gone full circle! You didn't get my joke (it was a poor one - so not surprising), I didn't realise and misunderstood your response - sorry for the mix up :)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I have been donated a chromecast audio, and am interested in streaming to my main Naim Nac/Nap system. I know I need a DAC to connect and a mini toslink to toslink cable. Any recommendations for an inexpensive DAC that will get the job done?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Schiit Modi Uber is $149-sounds good with the CCA.

Update on the HiFi indicator in Tidal. I just did more testing. The HiFi indicator is now grayed out sometimes in my player, but the stream is still bit perfect. I made sure to check it for bit transparency. If it wasn't transparent I wouldn't be interested. It seems that the HiFi goes in and out of illumination when I connect / disconnect to the Chromecast, but not in any repeatable fashion.

Either way, it's bit perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27628[/ATTACH]

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to add to this discussion on tidal and problems with chromecast audio...similar to the poster who had issues with the hi fi indicator being "grey" signifying sub-cd quality streaming via chromecast audio. I just signed up to tidal's hi fi streaming service and also have this problem - using the tidal app on an ipad air 2 ios 10.1.1 to a chromecast audio connected to my Integra AVR and listening thru bowers and wilkins CM1s - hi fi indicator shows white at one level when certain songs are being played but when you click down to the next level of the song being played the hi fi indicator is nearly always grey. There are times when it is white-white on some songs (not many) and the sound is noticeably better. When it's not white the sound is not good - quite muffled / sibilant thru my system.

I emailed Tidal about this and they got back to me this week saying this IS a known issue with chromecast and that they are working to resolve it. However, they do not know when it will be fixed and in the meantime they would not give me another 30 day trial to cover me while they work it out meaning I'm stuck with listening to crap audio feed if I choose to keep streaming with them. A little bit annoying! I was hoping this would be a big SQ improvement on my spotify thru chromecast audio set up...but it's not.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to add to this discussion on tidal and problems with chromecast audio...similar to the poster who had issues with the hi fi indicator being "grey" signifying sub-cd quality streaming via chromecast audio. I just signed up to tidal's hi fi streaming service and also have this problem - using the tidal app on an ipad air 2 ios 10.1.1 to a chromecast audio connected to my Integra AVR and listening thru bowers and wilkins CM1s - hi fi indicator shows white at one level when certain songs are being played but when you click down to the next level of the song being played the hi fi indicator is nearly always grey. There are times when it is white-white on some songs (not many) and the sound is noticeably better. When it's not white the sound is not good - quite muffled / sibilant thru my system.

I emailed Tidal about this and they got back to me this week saying this IS a known issue with chromecast and that they are working to resolve it. However, they do not know when it will be fixed and in the meantime they would not give me another 30 day trial to cover me while they work it out meaning I'm stuck with listening to crap audio feed if I choose to keep streaming with them. A little bit annoying! I was hoping this would be a big SQ improvement on my spotify thru chromecast audio set up...but it's not.

Vote with your wallet and quit the service. Enough people do it, they will learn better customer service...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just got tidal's 90 day free trial and have noticed the same greyed-out hifi indicator when using Chromecast audio. Iphone and iPad on native speakers (Chromecast disabled) shows the hifi lit up as does the chrome web player on my win7 pc. So currently the only way to enjoy lossless hifi is casting from Chrome on my pc. This is a pita as I can't control tidal remotely with my iPhone or iPad. The sound quality is still good but definitely diminished when the hifi indicator is greyed out. I certainly won't be paying for this service once my free trial is over unless this gets fixed.

Note that I was able to upgrade my free 90 day premium (320kbs) account to a free 45 day hifi (lossless flac) account in case anyone is interested in doing this.

In case it matters my ChromecastAudio audio is connected via toslink to a Cambridge audio dacmagic 100.

Just got tidal's 90 day free trial and have noticed the same greyed-out hifi indicator when using Chromecast audio. Iphone and iPad on native speakers (Chromecast disabled) shows the hifi lit up as does the chrome web player on my win7 pc. So currently the only way to enjoy lossless hifi is casting from Chrome on my pc. This is a pita as I can't control tidal remotely with my iPhone or iPad. The sound quality is still good but definitely diminished when the hifi indicator is greyed out. I certainly won't be paying for this service once my free trial is over unless this gets fixed.

Note that I was able to upgrade my free 90 day premium (320kbs) account to a free 45 day hifi (lossless flac) account in case anyone is interested in doing this.

In case it matters my ChromecastAudio audio is connected via toslink to a Cambridge audio dacmagic 100.

Or you could get an Android device-they work fine!

• 2 weeks later...
Schiit Modi Uber is $149-sounds good with the CCA.

The Hifime spdfi optical 9018 dac sound good and is incredibly cheap. I use mine with the CCA.

My Hifime spdfi optical 9018 dac I use battery powered but honestly can't hear any difference if I use the battery or the usb power cord.

Have any of you tried the CCA optical out through an iFi audio spdfi iPurifier, if so any improvement?

I recently bought the CCA. For a $35 piece, it's darn good! I have it optical out to my w4s dac2 and I am using the USB power output on the front of my Panamax. Loaded up BubbleUPnp and it saw my NAS within a few min I was running uncompressed wav and fac right to it. Even Google Play for free didn't sound bad. Tidal sounds darn good on it also and it wasn't hard to setup right through BubbleUPnp.

I think it's the bargain of the year.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable.