IGNORED

Tidal Now Has Chromecast Support!

Thanks for the link. Wow, John was less than thrilled with the Tidal / Chromecast combo (to put it nicely). I know John and really like him, but I believe the CCA is a better device than he leads on. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as we all do sometimes :~)

His biggest problem seemed to be lack of gapless playback of Tidal and Spotify. He also didn't like the SQ, but the lack of gapless seems to be what got him going.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for the link. Wow, John was less than thrilled with the Tidal / Chromecast combo (to put it nicely). I know John and really like him, but I believe the CCA is a better device than he leads on. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as we all do sometimes :~)

Sounds like he just has a different opinion on the value proposition of it. He was mainly put off by the lack of gapless playback via Tidal which seems like a reasonable critique to me.

Just because he happens to have a different opinion than you doesn't make his opinion any less valid "Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as we all do sometimes :~)"

David

Sounds like he just has a different opinion on the value proposition of it. He was mainly put off by the lack of gapless playback via Tidal which seems like a reasonable critique to me.

Just because he happens to have a different opinion than you doesn't make his opinion any less valid "Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as we all do sometimes :~)"

David - Did I say his opinion was less valid? I know John personally and think this article was quite different than what I'd usually expect from him with respect to a $35 product.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So you all are pleased with the sound quality? I put off purchasing one based on the DAR review, but if others are finding the sound quality satisfactory, I may give it a go.

The sound quality of the optical output is totally fine with me. It's not the height of living, but it works for me in several scenarios outside my main system.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The sound quality of the optical output is totally fine with me. It's not the height of living, but it works for me in several scenarios outside my main system.

Thanks! This may be a dumb question, but is the optical out on the Chromecast Audio significantly better sound quality than the HDMI out on the video Chromecast? (My wife being able to watch the Lemonade video helped me justify our switching to Tidal. [emoji3])

Thanks! This may be a dumb question, but is the optical out on the Chromecast Audio significantly better sound quality than the HDMI out on the video Chromecast? (My wife being able to watch the Lemonade video helped me justify our switching to Tidal. [emoji3])

Not sure because I don't have the HDMI version. The optical at least provides electrical isolation coming out of the CCA.

Impulse buy: My local Target had both models, so I bought them both to compare. SQ comparison is forthcoming, but since I could find this anywhere else on the Internet, I thought I would share this screen shot of what the Chromecast video shows on the TV during playback:

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1468360803.387832.jpg

Oddly, the text goes to a low contrast after a few seconds of playback, so it's hard to tell if "HIFI" is illuminated. :-/

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1468361021.694445.jpg

Is this like Spotify Connect or are you simply streaming from the device that Tidal is on.

It's like Spotify Connect in that it streams directly from the cloud, rather than bouncing through the mobile device and chewing up battery. However, Spotify Connect (as implemented in my receiver) responds to transport commands (play/pause/ff/rw) from the receiver as well as the app. It also allows the app to directly control the volume of the receiver, rather than adding another volume control to the chain.

I have a regular HDMI Chromecast, and I plan to tinker around with CEC to see if I can get it to respond to receiver controls, but I don't have a lot of hope.

So you all are pleased with the sound quality? I put off purchasing one based on the DAR review, but if others are finding the sound quality satisfactory, I may give it a go.

I've 4 of them in use and they rock. I'd never use the internal DAC, use a mini Toslink to Toslink cable and use an external DAC. The internal DAC is not bad, but you get excellent budget DACs that perform much better from the likes of Schiit, SMSL, Peachtree Audio, iFi Audio, etc.

Using Toslink external DAC takes care of the SQ... I've never heard jitter myself. But I'm limited to RBCD and FLAC rips, tons of radio stations, Spotify and Tidal... in that it rocks, go for it.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Bit-perfect use to be the go to word when coming to steaming. Perhaps someone can determine weather this can be said about Tidal via Chromecast...

A few mths prior to Tidal compatibility ago the moderator had some reasonable results in various testing...

Computer Audiophile - Basic Bit Perfect Testing Of The $35 Chromecast Audio

Tidal streaming to Chromecast is bit perfect.

Darko's "review" is not very professional, to say the least

He did not bother to look up the fact that Chromecast already supports lossless streaming from Qobuz and Spotify. He did not bother to check the bitrate settings in his tests. He admits he does not care as lack of gapless is a showstopper for him. He is testing it with a DAC that in his own words falls short in "bass presence and all around avidity" yet he seems now to blame it on the chromecast (check out his review of the Brooklyn, and his "subjective performance metrics" - LOL).

He fails to mention that the Chromecast has a guest mode, and is compatible with both Android and iOS. Yet he raves about using Bluetooth just for that in his "review" of the Blink.

Perhaps a nice guy, but his reviews are rubbish.

Darko's "review" is not very professional, to say the least

He did not bother to look up the fact that Chromecast already supports lossless streaming from Qobuz and Spotify. He did not bother to check the bitrate settings in his tests. He admits he does not care as lack of gapless is a showstopper for him. He is testing it with a DAC that in his own words falls short in "bass presence and all around avidity" yet he seems now to blame it on the chromecast (check out his review of the Brooklyn, and his "subjective performance metrics" - LOL).

He fails to mention that the Chromecast has a guest mode, and is compatible with both Android and iOS. Yet he raves about using Bluetooth just for that in his "review" of the Blink.

Perhaps a nice guy, but his reviews are rubbish.

My mistake - no lossless support on Spotify...

And yes, the Brooklyn is up there with the Invicta as a division 1 DAC in his seven Division rating (!) - so I guess it must not be all that bad (once you add the Wyred4Sound on the USB...).

Yes, the sound quality is very good and not just for how inexpensive it is. Sure, it could be improved upon, but so can 99% of all audio components. I have a headless Mac Mini and a Chromecast audio in my main system and prefer the Chromecast for convenience. In back to back listening, I think I might slightly prefer the sound quality of the Chromecast connected optically to my dac compared to the Mac Mini connected by USB to the same dac (PS AUDIO PWD MKII).

For $35, there isn't much to lose to make your own opinion. I use the analog output of several Chromecast Audios in other rooms and it sounds perfectly fine for background, multi-room music. I also found the DAR review too critical of the unit and would not let it sway your decision to try one for yourself.

Impulse buy: My local Target had both models, so I bought them both to compare. SQ comparison is forthcoming, but since I could find this anywhere else on the Internet, I thought I would share this screen shot of what the Chromecast video shows on the TV during playback:

[ATTACH]27641[/ATTACH]

Oddly, the text goes to a low contrast after a few seconds of playback, so it's hard to tell if "HIFI" is illuminated. :-/

[ATTACH]27642[/ATTACH]

Please share you thoughts on the SQ between the CCA v CCV models...i recently bought the CCA after a recommendation in another thread here and I can say whole heartedly that it sounds better than the Sonos Connect both connected to my Marantz AVR.

I may try hooking up the CCA to my Micromega MyDAC and see if that improves it even further. I bought the MyDAC originally for the Sonos Connect but didn't notice much difference in the SQ with or without it.

Yes, the sound quality is very good and not just for how inexpensive it is. Sure, it could be improved upon, but so can 99% of all audio components. I have a headless Mac Mini and a Chromecast audio in my main system and prefer the Chromecast for convenience. In back to back listening, I think I might slightly prefer the sound quality of the Chromecast connected optically to my dac compared to the Mac Mini connected by USB to the same dac (PS AUDIO PWD MKII).

For $35, there isn't much to lose to make your own opinion. I use the analog output of several Chromecast Audios in other rooms and it sounds perfectly fine for background, multi-room music. I also found the DAR review too critical of the unit and would not let it sway your decision to try one for yourself.

I agree with your assessment of the sound quality when using the toslink. I use it that way into my Bryston BDA2. What a great way to do some exploratory listening.

In the meantime, I connected two others using analog out to a couple of old powered speakers. Placed them in different locations that would be conducive to outdoor party time. Works great! Doesn't need great HQ for background. Highly recommend.

JJinPDX

Please share you thoughts on the SQ between the CCA v CCV models...

So far I'm not noticing much difference between the two. If anything, I might slightly prefer the GCV. However, I'm connecting the GCA with a regular toslink cable and a mini-toslink adapter; probably not the best solution for preventing jitter, since the fiber doesn't go all the way into the tip of the mini-toslink. What kind of optical cables are you all using?

Listening to Tidal on my windows 10 laptop and streaming to CCA via AirParrot proves to be very revealing. Using Led Zep II Delux Edition, the FLAC rip sounds much clearer/visceral than the Tidal version. Anyone else tried AirParrot with CCA?

• 2 weeks later...