IGNORED

Tidal Now Has Chromecast Support!

Excellent!

[ATTACH]27536[/ATTACH]

Sorry for being a dummy. Opened the Tidal app and don't see how to Chromecast it. Help?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just for information, it works for IOS (which i am using) but i hear not yet for android.

Nope. Latest Tidal Android app also has Chormecast support and I can verify that it works.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This is especially good for entertaining purposes. Makes for a cheap Sonos-like system, getting same music on the deck, in the living room, kitchen, and so on. Now I just have to see if Herself can figure out how to use Tidal. This will be the challenge.

JJinPDX

So if one were planning to pick up a Chromecast specifically for use with Tidal, which would offer better sound quality:

Chromecast Audio > SPDIF > AVR

Or

Chromecast Video > HDMI > AVR

(AVR in question is a Denon AVR-x4100w.)

If Tidal is the only application, is there any functional advantages of the regular Chromecast vs. Audio one? What shows on the TV screen when playing Tidal through HDMI? Any album art or metadata? I've read the video one does not support synced multi-room output. Is that still true?

It still gets grey. It's white as long as I play through the iphones own speakers and turns grey when I connect to Chromecast. Weird, maybe the cc need an update? I have firmware version 1.19.62825.

I guess I'll have to use my Squeezebox until this is solved, works fine there!

You\'ll Never Walk Alone...

It still gets grey. It's white as long as I play through the iphones own speakers and turns grey when I connect to Chromecast. Weird, maybe the cc need an update? I have firmware version 1.19.62825.

I guess I'll have to use my Squeezebox until this is solved, works fine there!

Same firmware as me. Have you tried different albums?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Update on the HiFi indicator in Tidal. I just did more testing. The HiFi indicator is now grayed out sometimes in my player, but the stream is still bit perfect. I made sure to check it for bit transparency. If it wasn't transparent I wouldn't be interested. It seems that the HiFi goes in and out of illumination when I connect / disconnect to the Chromecast, but not in any repeatable fashion.

Either way, it's bit perfect.

IMG_2175.jpg

Update on the HiFi indicator in Tidal. I just did more testing. The HiFi indicator is now grayed out sometimes in my player, but the stream is still bit perfect. I made sure to check it for bit transparency. If it wasn't transparent I wouldn't be interested. It seems that the HiFi goes in and out of illumination when I connect / disconnect to the Chromecast, but not in any repeatable fashion.

Either way, it's bit perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27628[/ATTACH]

Thanks! :-)

You\'ll Never Walk Alone...

Apparently DAR this guy that runs a online audio site has horrible things to say about it.

Not as the artist intended: Google Chromecast Audio w/ Tidal | DAR__KO

Thanks for the link. Wow, John was less than thrilled with the Tidal / Chromecast combo (to put it nicely). I know John and really like him, but I believe the CCA is a better device than he leads on. Maybe he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as we all do sometimes :~)