IGNORED

Advice on update path

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and would like to seek your experise on couple of question:

My current system is consist of:

PC (I7 + 980ti + decent mobo+PCIe SSD+ dual LCD monitor) which mainly use for music + gaming(dota)

Ifi iusb 3.0

Yggdrasil

Audio-gd M9(Headamp + preamp)

Augio-gd M3(Speaker Amp)

Harbeth M30.1 and LCD-X

I mostly stream music through tidal.

Cable consist of decent USB/speaker/power cord cable. I got a furutech Ftp-615 and cheap belkin power strip with some filter/surge protector function. All the audio stuff are plugged into the furutech Ftp-615. All the computer stuff is plugged into the belkin power strip.

I would like to improve my system and considering server route for it.

1/Improve the power conditioning on my system:

My situation is that i cant install dedicated lines for my audio room due to housing constraint. So should i go for a power regenerator like P10 or isolation transformer like Torus RM15/RM20?

Would i get any benefit if i plug my computer into the P10 or Torus? or should i just plug all the computer stuff into the furutech once i got the P10/Torus?

2/Improve my transport:

Should i buy a Lumin U1 to go with my yggdrasil or create a CAPS with JCAT/LPS/AO/Fidelizer as i still have a spare computer with decent spec(I5/SSD).

3/What others option you guys can suggest? New amp/DAC/Speaker?

Really appreciate your input

It outputs a "pure" 60Hz sine wave, and is also a UPS battery backup for the computer. I had audible improvement with the Rhino power conditioner which confirmed to me that power quality does make a difference. I then opted for the product linked above. You can check youtube under "pfc sine ups" and similar terms to see oscilloscope traces of the power supply.

I use it with an Isobar 6 Ultra power strip filter. Each 2 outlets are filtered separately. But it looks like you already have a good power strip

It outputs a "pure" 60Hz sine wave, and is also a UPS battery backup for the computer. I had audible improvement with the Rhino power conditioner which confirmed to me that power quality does make a difference. I then opted for the product linked above. You can check youtube under "pfc sine ups" and similar terms to see oscilloscope traces of the power supply.

I use it with an Isobar 6 Ultra power strip filter. Each 2 outlets are filtered separately. But it looks like you already have a good power strip

I got it now. So it should be a similar solution to the power regenerator (PS Audio P10) which output a perfect sine wave for electricity.

I was wondering between the PS Audio P10 vs the Torus RM15/20.

It seems that the Torus has more capacity as you can plug everything include power amp into it.

that cyberpower UPS only outputs 60hz pure sine when the power is out and it's feeding your devices on the battery. that is what I concluded when I researched it a while ago. The P10 seems pretty awesome. To improve your pc output maybe try an intona isolator, much cheaper than a p10

that cyberpower UPS only outputs 60hz pure sine when the power is out and it's feeding your devices on the battery. that is what I concluded when I researched it a while ago. The P10 seems pretty awesome. To improve your pc output maybe try an intona isolator, much cheaper than a p10

I was thinking that UPS should only be used to power my digital in case power outtage. It should not be used in daily usage. The PS Audio P10 would be more suitable for that. Another solution would be the Purepower 2000/3000.

I was thinking of solving the input into my PC. Intona or USB/SPDIF converter could be added later for output but i dont think it will make much of a performance jump.

I researched them before I bought this one. There are some like you say but not this one. The link below shows them on and off wall power

Do you think if i could use both the power generator(PS Audio P10) and isolation transformer(Torus) in my system?

I was thinking that UPS should only be used to power my digital in case power outtage. It should not be used in daily usage. The PS Audio P10 would be more suitable for that. Another solution would be the Purepower 2000/3000.

I was thinking of solving the input into my PC. Intona or USB/SPDIF converter could be added later for output but i dont think it will make much of a performance jump.

Do you think if i could use both the power generator(PS Audio P10) and isolation transformer(Torus) in my system?

There is no reason that you can't use it 24/7 for computer and audio. For 5% of the price of the P10 you can get the mentioned UPS and plug your filtered power strip into it for the last bit of smoothing needed. In other words, I would get the UPS and audition it against the P10 if you really think it will help. For me, for a purchase that big if I can't try the product it is a no go. IMHO the money would be better spent on floor standing speakers

Whether you should get a Torus is a complicated question. Are you using XLR or RCA connectors? If XLR with the proper cabling you should have no ground loops. If using RCA a transformer will just reduce the size of the ground loop. Is your equipment already isolated internally? If so, no need for another trafo. Again, I would not buy one unless you can try it yourself.

Wasn't able to see the video but are you sure about that? I thought the only double conversion topology power supplies from CyberPower were their OL series...

Here is what Cyberpower sent me:

PFCLCD - Made to be used with power supplies that have active PFC technology. Required for high efficiency computers/servers.

OR - Middle of the road UPS can be used in both home offices and servers. Comes in both rack mount and tower forms.

OL - Online double-conversion UPS needed if being used in tandem with a generator.

Not sure what double conversion is...

Here is what Cyberpower sent me:

PFCLCD - Made to be used with power supplies that have active PFC technology. Required for high efficiency computers/servers.

OR - Middle of the road UPS can be used in both home offices and servers. Comes in both rack mount and tower forms.

OL - Online double-conversion UPS needed if being used in tandem with a generator.

Not sure what double conversion is...

Double conversion converts AC power from the utility to DC power and then uses an inverter to convert it back into AC power--hence the "double conversion."

Double conversion converts AC power from the utility to DC power and then uses an inverter to convert it back into AC power--hence the "double conversion."

The advantage of this is that switching from mains to battery is completely glitch free. Whether or not this makes a difference depends on the load.

It is quite interesting thought as this unit convert AC-DC-AC with same principle as the PS Audio P10. Though it is at a much cheaper price.

Yes but...these units come with an absurdly noisy cooling fan, so you'll need to make that mod. And they run hot so if you don't have good a/c, you may not be happy.

Besides that, I wonder if PS Audio doesn't bring other refinements to the table as well.

This stuff is now officially over my head.

Yes but...these units come with an absurdly noisy cooling fan, so you'll need to make that mod. And they run hot so if you don't have good a/c, you may not be happy.

Besides that, I wonder if PS Audio doesn't bring other refinements to the table as well.

This stuff is now officially over my head.

What do you think if i upgrade my transport to Lumin U1 with a LPS.

That ought to be good?

I cant try out all these options hence i really need your experience

I wouldn't expect that Lumin to be a sonic upgrade to your current setup, or to your idea of making a separate music server.

If you do buy one, make sure it is returnable.

If you think your USB output is noisy, add a Jitterbug or USB Noise Filter Mechanism USB Stabilizer Cable AC Adapter Full Set | eBay

Your DAC is fine as is, and your amp, although the site shows no specs, is probably too. (edit: If anything, ) you would best be served by getting some speakers with a bit more bass extension, and maybe using some form of room correction.

Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the music :)

I wouldn't expect that Lumin to be a sonic upgrade to your current setup, or to your idea of making a separate music server.

If you do buy one, make sure it is returnable.

If you think your USB output is noisy, add a Jitterbug or USB Noise Filter Mechanism USB Stabilizer Cable AC Adapter Full Set | eBay

Your DAC is fine as is, and your amp, although the site shows no specs, is probably too. (edit: If anything, ) you would best be served by getting some speakers with a bit more bass extension, and maybe using some form of room correction.

Sometimes it's best to just sit back and enjoy the music :)

[TABLE=width: 1028]

[TR]

[TD=width: 314, align: center]S/N Ratio[/TD]

[TD=width: 668, align: center]>115DB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 314, align: center]Gain[/TD]

[TD=width: 668, align: center]+30 DB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 314, align: center] Output[/TD]

[TD=width: 668, align: center]250W @ 8ohm

500W @ 4ohm

1000W @ 2ohm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 314, align: center] Output Level (Max,RMS)[/TD]

[TD=width: 668, align: center]58V[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here is my amp spec. It should have enough to power my speaker. It just that i got the itch to upgrade.

I already got the IFI Iusb for USB filter. I think adding the Intona USB isolator will help a bit more.

Guess that the power or transport upgrade wont matter as much as the money toward a new Magico/Raido + amp.

Yeah, but it doesn't list THD or THD+N specs...

My experience with USB 2 "full speed" (not "high speed") isolators is that it added more noise than it took away. Not sure about that Intona, but I would try to measure with and without if you have that capability. If you do DRC you will need ability to measure anyway

Power quality does matter. Your choice is the one I suggested above for ~200 depending on wattage or a multi thousand dollar box. I would pick the budget one.

Not sure why you would change amps?

I am not the person to ask about high end speakers. Do you have any interest in DIY?

Yeah, but it doesn't list THD or THD+N specs...

My experience with USB 2 "full speed" (not "high speed") isolators is that it added more noise than it took away. Not sure about that Intona, but I would try to measure with and without if you have that capability. If you do DRC you will need ability to measure anyway

Power quality does matter. Your choice is the one I suggested above for ~200 depending on wattage or a multi thousand dollar box. I would pick the budget one.

Not sure why you would change amps?

I am not the person to ask about high end speakers. Do you have any interest in DIY?

Sadly, I cant do anything DIY as i am not that handy. Same goes for measurement. So i really need the expert in the forum to help me out here.

Before OP makes any upgrades, I think the first question to ask is, are you happy with the headphones sound compared to the speaker sound. If you're happy with the headphones sound, and are primarily interested in upgrading the speaker sound, then chances are, the issue is a bass management issue or you just don't like the sound of the speakers. Learning how to measure the frequency response of the speakers and the room modes and then using your computer to DSP the peaks may help a lot more than new components. On the other hand, if you think speakers and headphones are performing similarly, then a computer upgrade or power conditioning would definitely give more bang for the buck.

Before OP makes any upgrades, I think the first question to ask is, are you happy with the headphones sound compared to the speaker sound. If you're happy with the headphones sound, and are primarily interested in upgrading the speaker sound, then chances are, the issue is a bass management issue or you just don't like the sound of the speakers. Learning how to measure the frequency response of the speakers and the room modes and then using your computer to DSP the peaks may help a lot more than new components. On the other hand, if you think speakers and headphones are performing similarly, then a computer upgrade or power conditioning would definitely give more bang for the buck.

Got it. FYI, here's a step-by-step on the fan mod.

http://www.ispcolohost.com/2015/02/27/quieting-down-the-noisy-cyberpower-ol3000rtxl2u-ups/