IGNORED

Playing multi-channel files with minimum fuss and bother? Need an introduction to what's possible.

I'm in need of an end-to-end introduction to what I understand are the very few options for playing multi-channel files on disk (somewhere) on my audio-visual systems, which are at present networked but which are NOT co-located with computers.

I'm beginning to know of a few pieces (such as getting the files from primephonic.com), but I can't see how to make the process work end-to-end.

• I have tried for years to get about six separate Sony devices just to see my computers' DLNA on Windows - none of them even see my main computer running Windows 7. There seem to be no DLNA troubleshooting tools for either the server or player ends of the network.

• I installed Serviio and again, no devices (or other computers) see the Serviio DLNA (Serviio can plac FLAC and DSD files, but not sure about multichannel).

• I just discovered primephonic.com, and their website seems to be talking only about playing surround sound on computers directly, not playing files stored on my Windows computer (I guess I run some kind of non-network cable(s) 50 feet between two rooms to play on my A/V system?)

• I see the exaSound e28 DAC, but $3,800 for just one piece of the puzzle? Seriously?

• From the bullet above, you may infer that I am a music lover, not an equipment lover. Yes, I've spent five figures over decades on media (about 1500 CDs and 100-200 SACDs and miscellaneous) and equipment, and my main system includes items from 1970s Janzsen electrostatic speakers to a 2014 55" Sony Bravia television. But it's not about the gear, it's about the music (video, schmideo, I'm not a videophile, either)

• I'm a software/database developer with almost 40 years experience (H-P mini-computer, then Microsoft stack), and for me computers are work tools, not toys. I don't love 'em any more than my father (an auto mechanic) loved his wrenches.

So, "thank you" first of all to anybody who has read, not just skimmed, this post.

I'm stubborn enough to still want to troubleshoot DLNA, just to prove I can get it working, or at least understand why it doesn't, but my ultimate goal is to play surround sound on my A/V systems.

P.S. For the last 10-15 years I've been grumpy about the conflation of "hi-res" with multichannel sound. Strange bedfellows - I'm perfectly happy with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate, but view stereo recording as a historical artifact of the 1950s (wait a minute, I was born in the 1950s).

It is possible to play HD and MCH to multiple zones but I have only fiddled with this because I generally play with direct connection to one zone. So, I will just comment.

First, you do not say what music player software you are using but I have used JRiver to play to multiple devices and zone with DLNA, network and/or direct connection.

Second, I cannot get the current Sony player to see my computer, either, but that is of little concern to me.

Third, there are three mch DACs. One cheaper than the e28 (miniDSP N-DAC8) and on more expensive (NADAC+8).

Second,

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

...First, you do not say what music player software you are using but I have used JRiver to play to multiple devices and zone with DLNA, network and/or direct connection.

I don't have any player software yet and don't have any computers co-located with A/V systems.

I read your article in the July Stereophile (thus answering my question about how to reach you) but found it baffling (if heartening) as it assumed knowledge (getting from my computer to my A/V systems) I don't have.

Somebody at "serviio" mentioned using an HDMI cable, but didn't mention from what to what (my Sony receiver does have DSD over HDMI support which I use now, but the only HDMI output on my computer is from my video cards).

In other words, while I'm a highly experienced audiophile and web/database developer, I'm purely a noob at connecting the world I love (music) with the world of work (computers).

I don't have any player software yet ....
That may be a critical choice as some offer more options than others. I have experience with JRiver.

............................and don't have any computers co-located with A/V systems.....

...........Somebody at "serviio" mentioned using an HDMI cable, but didn't mention from what to what (my Sony receiver does have DSD over HDMI support which I use now, but the only HDMI output on my computer is from my video cards).

I have used HDMI out from my PC or Mac computers to the HDMI inputs on my Marantz and Meridian pre/pros. It does not matter which HDMI output you use if the music player software sees the HDMI-attached Sony.

Kal Rubinson

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in need of an end-to-end introduction to what I understand are the very few options for playing multi-channel files on disk (somewhere) on my audio-visual systems, which are at present networked but which are NOT co-located with computers.

I'm beginning to know of a few pieces (such as getting the files from primephonic.com), but I can't see how to make the process work end-to-end.

• I have tried for years to get about six separate Sony devices just to see my computers' DLNA on Windows - none of them even see my main computer running Windows 7. There seem to be no DLNA troubleshooting tools for either the server or player ends of the network.

• I installed Serviio and again, no devices (or other computers) see the Serviio DLNA (Serviio can plac FLAC and DSD files, but not sure about multichannel).

• I just discovered primephonic.com, and their website seems to be talking only about playing surround sound on computers directly, not playing files stored on my Windows computer (I guess I run some kind of non-network cable(s) 50 feet between two rooms to play on my A/V system?)

• I see the exaSound e28 DAC, but $3,800 for just one piece of the puzzle? Seriously?

• From the bullet above, you may infer that I am a music lover, not an equipment lover. Yes, I've spent five figures over decades on media (about 1500 CDs and 100-200 SACDs and miscellaneous) and equipment, and my main system includes items from 1970s Janzsen electrostatic speakers to a 2014 55" Sony Bravia television. But it's not about the gear, it's about the music (video, schmideo, I'm not a videophile, either)

• I'm a software/database developer with almost 40 years experience (H-P mini-computer, then Microsoft stack), and for me computers are work tools, not toys. I don't love 'em any more than my father (an auto mechanic) loved his wrenches.

So, "thank you" first of all to anybody who has read, not just skimmed, this post.

I'm stubborn enough to still want to troubleshoot DLNA, just to prove I can get it working, or at least understand why it doesn't, but my ultimate goal is to play surround sound on my A/V systems.

P.S. For the last 10-15 years I've been grumpy about the conflation of "hi-res" with multichannel sound. Strange bedfellows - I'm perfectly happy with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate, but view stereo recording as a historical artifact of the 1950s (wait a minute, I was born in the 1950s).

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place.

When I first started my quest to get a workable solution to my quandary, I quickly found that DLNA isn't part of that solution and UPnP/Open Home are. Have a go at both of these sites:

When you're done with them, then go here:

In the end the kit listed in my signature, simply fell into place. I didn't have to do very much to get them to work together. Results are stunning, with minimal financial outlay.

I agree with you of the DAC solution. The logistics of my system and pricing quickly rule that out.

EDIT:

I've also recently discovered that the Playlist is being presented by the "Music" section of the default display of my Sony BDP-S790. That is surprising, as I didn't expect that to occur.

FWIW, like Kal, I am a Mch fanatic. I can see the problem if multiple systems/zones are required, but I have never had a need for or interest in that. So, I have stuck with simple direct wired approaches to one A/V system.

Pretty much my whole knowledge dump about HDMI is what I posted a few days ago in that HDMI/Mch thread. It worked pretty well except for the quirks I pointed out. 3 other close friends currently still use it from PC to prepro, as I did for my large music and video library on my 52TB NAS. The biggest annoyance seems to be occasional loss of HDMI handshake between Windows and the prepro. But, it is not too difficult or expensive to permanently solve that problem.

For sonic reasons, I did upgrade a couple of years ago to an Exasound E28 and the asynch USB connection from my PC. I found that and other changes to be a very worthwhile improvement over HDMI into my Integra 80.2 prepro after careful comparative audition. The video connection remains HDMI PC to Sony HDTV via an AMD GPU in the PC.

So, now I have a Music/HTPC setup to the Exasound and the TV, which are the only components in my room, aside from amps and 7.1 speakers, of course. The PC and NAS are in an adjoining room, connected to the listening room via 5 meters of USB and HDMI cables through a hole in the back of a closet. The PC is a very plain vanilla tower build costing perhaps $1,000 and it uses an older Intel I7 and 16GB of RAM, both overkill. But, it is noisy. Computer noise, however, is a nonissue when listening since it is a room away. A Logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad allows me to interact with the PC from my easy chair.

Also connected via network to the PC is an HD Homerun Prime cable card tuner for occasional TV watching or recording via JRiver. My prepro, Oppo player and cable box are all out of the system. Optical drives in the PC allow for CD, DVD and BD playback. I cannot play SACDs directly via the PC, since DRM prohibits that from my player. I first rip and unlock them to my NAS via PS3. BDs also require unlocking software. I currently use MakeMKV.

I found JRiver to be the most comprehensive multimedia library software, and I am very happy with it in storing all my discs for selection and playback as well as TV functions. It is feature-laden and therefore complex, so there is a considerable learning curve associated with it. It also requires manual tagging for the best library selection and playback retrieval experience. Hard work, but I enjoy the fruits of that via the excellent JRemote interface on my iPad. Its handling of multiple media types in Mch for my very large classical library is very good. I doubt there is any better for Mch at this point.

JRiver is also the main Mch control center, replacing much of what my old prepro did, mainly master volume, bass management and format/codec conversions. Its output flows via Dirac Live in the PC to the Exasound driver. Dirac applies room correction and channel level trims and it handles PCM up to 192K. I convert DSD to PCM in JRiver on-the-fly for that reason, though I can bypass Dirac and listen in DSD if I choose. Dirac was a definite sonic upgrade over the Audyssey MultEQ XT/32 with Audyssey Pro calibration used in the Integra.

It has its quirks and occasional flakiness. Grr, software! But, I am at a different level than I was sonically. That made it all very worthwhile. I am a happy man.

Most of this was covered several days ago in the thread mentioned by Fitz.

Kal, is there a reason why you did not include an Oppo 105 in your list?

Yes there may be a very slight performance difference e28 vs. 105, but what about the top quality bluray player you are getting at the same time? And every reveiwer's measurements of the 105 are top shelf...

Really it's easy: JRiver/Windows computer by hdmi to Oppo and then either analog direct to MCH amp or hdmi to PrePro/AVR.

It's just not that complicated.

Happy listening.

jjk

Technically, not a DAC but usable as one, within its limits.
Yes there may be a very slight performance difference e28 vs. 105, ...
Not slight.
Really it's easy: JRiver/Windows computer by hdmi to Oppo and then either analog direct to MCH amp or hdmi to PrePro/AVR.

Yup.

Kal Rubinson

Yes there may be a very slight performance difference e28 vs. 105, but what about the top quality bluray player you are getting at the same time? And every reveiwer's measurements of the 105 are top shelf...

Happy listening.

I think the Oppo 105D is a potentially very good, very simple solution that does not break the bank in serving as a Mch DAC. I have not heard it vs. the Exasound E28, but Kal has. I trust his judgement completely, and I think you can too that the 105D is good, but the E28 is better. Is it worth it? Only you can decide.

There is pretty good theoretical and measured evidence that asynch USB is substantially better than HDMI in terms of overall jitter performance. Yes, I think that difference is likely audible, too. And, with the E28, there might also be better isolation from EMI/RFI noise issues emanating from the PC and cables because of its excellent isolation and design. But, HDMI sonics for Mch can still be quite good, if not the ultimate. I listened that way for years with considerable satisfaction. And, several friends are still happily using HDMI for Mch audio/video even in systems around the $100k MSRP level.

In my case, I also wanted to use balanced analog XLR cables, especially for the long runs to my surround and back channel amps. I am able to do that directly from the balanced version of the E28, as I had done previously with my prepro. The 105D does not support that to all channels.

I also did some video comparisons between my Oppo 93 and JRiver Red October HQ + GPU playback of BDs. If there was a difference, I could not see any. I also prefer to use a Darbee box on my HDMI video feed, and the 105D has that built in. But, not all my friends are sold on Darbee on their monitors.

Also, with the 105D used as a player, you could only get room EQ if you connected it via HDMI to an AVR/prepro and used the room EQ there. I think room EQ is absolutely essential on all playback sources. I also think the PC packages for that purpose are generally better and without compromise vs. those in AVRs or prepros.

Incidentally, if using an Oppo via HDMI out, that would bypass the DAC in the 105D. So, it would make sense to use a much cheaper 103D instead. Performance is essentially identical except for the enhanced DAC and analog output stages in the 105D. I also think it would make more sense to route HDMI straight from the PC to the HT Processor rather than routing HDMI from PC to Oppo to HT Processor. The Oppo would just be another selectable HDMI input on the processor.

Still, Oppo is a great company and the 105D might make a really good center point as a Mch DAC in a budget minded system.

Fitz and Kal, and other gurus,

Wondering if anyone can offer advice for a problem I am trying to solve.

Have downloaded and installed Dirac Trial version for Windows. DLRCS v1.1.

I have corresponded with Flavio, but we have not been able to figure this out yet.

Download and installation was fine, DLCT measurements and filter creation, no problem.

But when I run the DAP, my system will not play greater than 48k.

Here is the signal chain: Win10 on Broadwell NUC/JRiver/Dirac>>Oppo 105D via HDMI>>PrePro>>MCH Amp.

I am for now concerned with 5.1. If I play 24/96 5.1 without the filter in the chain, perfect playback. When I insert the filter, I get stutter/static/stall.

If I downsample in JRiver from 24/96 to 24/48, I get perfect playback with DAP. If I play native 24/48 5.1 through the filter I get perfect playback with DAP.

Yes, I have tried this HDMI direct to Pre/Pro (XMC-1) and get the exact same result and symptoms.

And yes, I know Dirac is available on the Emotiva. I already have that. I would like the additional flexibility DLRCS provides on computer.

Have verified/re-verified all configs are correct. As far as I know.

The only possible clue I can see, and I have no idea if it's significant, is that in DLCT the Oppo DAC is not identified as I would expect, or the same way that JRiver and Windows identifies it. The only choice in DLCT for output is Intel Display Audio vs Oppo 105RPT (WASAPI) in both Win10 and JRiver. The DLCT seems to classify the Intel Display Audio as KS (Kernel Streaming?) as opposed to how JRiver classifies it on the way to DAP as WASAPI. Maybe DLCT via Kernel Streaming conflict with DAP output to JRiver via WASAPI? Maybe not. I have tried DAP output of KS, but that yields an error message...MCH n/a.

ASIO4ALL? Does that support MCH via HDMI?

Long-winded, I know, but if anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, good weekend.

jjk

jjk

Fitz and Kal, and other gurus,

Wondering if anyone can offer advice for a problem I am trying to solve.

Have downloaded and installed Dirac Trial version for Windows. DLRCS v1.1.

I have corresponded with Flavio, but we have not been able to figure this out yet.

Download and installation was fine, DLCT measurements and filter creation, no problem.

But when I run the DAP, my system will not play greater than 48k.

Here is the signal chain: Win10 on Broadwell NUC/JRiver/Dirac>>Oppo 105D via HDMI>>PrePro>>MCH Amp.

I am for now concerned with 5.1. If I play 24/96 5.1 without the filter in the chain, perfect playback. When I insert the filter, I get stutter/static/stall.

If I downsample in JRiver from 24/96 to 24/48, I get perfect playback with DAP. If I play native 24/48 5.1 through the filter I get perfect playback with DAP.

Yes, I have tried this HDMI direct to Pre/Pro (XMC-1) and get the exact same result and symptoms.

And yes, I know Dirac is available on the Emotiva. I already have that. I would like the additional flexibility DLRCS provides on computer.

Have verified/re-verified all configs are correct. As far as I know.

The only possible clue I can see, and I have no idea if it's significant, is that in DLCT the Oppo DAC is not identified as I would expect, or the same way that JRiver and Windows identifies it. The only choice in DLCT for output is Intel Display Audio vs Oppo 105RPT (WASAPI) in both Win10 and JRiver. The DLCT seems to classify the Intel Display Audio as KS (Kernel Streaming?) as opposed to how JRiver classifies it on the way to DAP as WASAPI. Maybe DLCT via Kernel Streaming conflict with DAP output to JRiver via WASAPI? Maybe not. I have tried DAP output of KS, but that yields an error message...MCH n/a.

ASIO4ALL? Does that support MCH via HDMI?

Long-winded, I know, but if anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, good weekend.

jjk

1. Make sure the higher sampling rates are checked in the filter calculation in DLCT. Is 96k included in the Trial Version?

2. Make sure Windows sound properties include the higher sampling rates and Mch. Update the Intel Graphics driver. HDMI must flow through that or a GPU, even for audio.

3. Forget about Asio4All. I do not think it will get you anywhere.

4. Does output via DAP give the same problems if the DAP Filter switch is turned on or off?

5. KS output from Dirac is normal, I believe, to avoid conflicts with other software using Wasapi, like JRiver.

The only possible clue I can see, and I have no idea if it's significant, is that in DLCT the Oppo DAC is not identified as I would expect, or the same way that JRiver and Windows identifies it. The only choice in DLCT for output is Intel Display Audio vs Oppo 105RPT (WASAPI) in both Win10 and JRiver.
I suspect that this is the problem. Have you checked to see what the Win audio setup/features are for Intel Display Audio?

Kal Rubinson

I suspect that this is the problem. Have you checked to see what the Win audio setup/features are for Intel Display Audio?

1. Make sure the higher sampling rates are checked in the filter calculation in DLCT. Is 96k included in the Trial Version?

2. Make sure Windows sound properties include the higher sampling rates and Mch. Update the Intel Graphics driver. HDMI must flow through that or a GPU, even for audio.

3. Forget about Asio4All. I do not think it will get you anywhere.

4. Does output via DAP give the same problems if the DAP Filter switch is turned on or off?

5. KS output from Dirac is normal, I believe, to avoid conflicts with other software using Wasapi, like JRiver.

Fitz and Kal,

Thanks very much for thinking about this.

Fitz, unfortunately I believe I've covered your points on troubleshooting already.

1.Higher sample rates: yes checked in DLCT and yes the trial does offer 96. I believe there is no difference between the trial and purchase software; only a "timer" on the trial.

2.Windows: yes the Intel HD Graphics driver is updated. Both speaker configuration and sample/bit rates are correct. Additionally, I go back to my point that with DAP removed from the chain, 24/96 5.1 plays beautifully through the Oppo 105RPT driver/DAC.

3.Yes, I looked in to the ASIO4ALL and agree no solution there.

4.Good question. I decided to take another look at this. Confirmed with DAP in the chain, and filter ON, stutter/static, etc. When I turn the filter OFF, perfect playback.

5.As Kal indicates, this the only area I can see as the issue. DLCT only "sees" Intel Display Audio as KS. DAP only "sees" Intel Display Audio as the KS output.

Kal, based on all my troubleshooting, I agree that somewhere in this area is the issue. Over HDMI is it possible that Dirac only works on a KS driver? And then maybe it follows that Oppo or JRiver does not provide 96 KS support, only WASAPI support? And in turn all this only matters when the sample rate is increased above 48k?

When I try to select Dirac Kernel Streaming in JRiver, it returns the error message "playback could not be started on the output kernel streaming using the format 6ch 96k".

Kal, I'm not savvy enough to answer your question directly. There is no indication of a Windows device in the Sound setting, only an Oppo 105RPT and an Oppo 2.0 USB Audio DAC (and DAP when in the chain).

In Device Manager, under Sound,video and game controllers there is a High Definition Audio Device listed and it checks as operational and current but I don't see how to access it.

How 'bout this: is it possible that since this is a NUC and it only supports Intel HD Graphics, which I assume supplies Intel Display Audio as the audio driver...what Dirac requires is say a Realtek card or software?

Again only for purposes of supporting greater than 48k.

Because HD Graphics assumes the user is employing the unit for purposes of watching a bluray, which maybe only encodes up to 48k?

Just brainstorming here. Just want to make it work for my full collection.

Thanks again dudes. Any comments/suggestions are very much welcome and appreciated.

Good weekend,jjk

jjk

Kal, based on all my troubleshooting, I agree that somewhere in this area is the issue. Over HDMI is it possible that Dirac only works on a KS driver? And then maybe it follows that Oppo or JRiver does not provide 96 KS support, only WASAPI support? And in turn all this only matters when the sample rate is increased above 48k?

When I try to select Dirac Kernel Streaming in JRiver, it returns the error message "playback could not be started on the output kernel streaming using the format 6ch 96k".

Kal, I'm not savvy enough to answer your question directly. There is no indication of a Windows device in the Sound setting, only an Oppo 105RPT and an Oppo 2.0 USB Audio DAC (and DAP when in the chain).

In Device Manager, under Sound,video and game controllers there is a High Definition Audio Device listed and it checks as operational and current but I don't see how to access it.

How 'bout this: is it possible that since this is a NUC and it only supports Intel HD Graphics, which I assume supplies Intel Display Audio as the audio driver...what Dirac requires is say a Realtek card or software?

Again only for purposes of supporting greater than 48k.

Because HD Graphics assumes the user is employing the unit for purposes of watching a bluray, which maybe only encodes up to 48k?

Too much for me on a weekend. However, I believe that DL has to see the right device. I also believe that it has to see the Oppo HDMI input driver and that the driver has to be set up (in Windows Sound Control Panel) for the configuration and resolutions you want to use.

Kal Rubinson

Too much for me on a weekend. However, I believe that DL has to see the right device. I also believe that it has to see the Oppo HDMI input driver and that the driver has to be set up (in Windows Sound Control Panel) for the configuration and resolutions you want to use.

It has been awhile since I used HDMI. But, I do not think there is a separate Oppo driver. I believe that the Intel Graphics identifies and adapts to the Oppo based on properties obtained via the handshake. I seem to recall having no problems with HDMI and Dirac at hi rez sampling into my Integra prepro, and I believe it was via Intel Graphics 4000.

Has the setup in the Oppo been checked? You do have to use an HD video setting of 720p or higher in the Oppo for hi rez audio to transmit via HDMI. Otherwise, there is insufficient bandwidth for hi rez audio, since it is always transmitted integrated with the video stream. This sounds like it might possibly be the issue, but I could be wrong since hi rez goes through to the Oppo whenever DAP is off or bypassed.

No, one should not use Realtec audio. That would be analog out, not HDMI, and lower in quality.

I never used an Oppo via HDMI in from a PC either. My 93 did not have that. There might be a 103/105 PC driver, but is it for HDMI or for USB input to the Oppo? The latter seems more likely to me.

OK. Faulty memory, I guess. Sorry to muddy the issues.

Kal Rubinson

It has been awhile since I used HDMI. But, I do not think there is a separate Oppo driver. I believe that the Intel Graphics identifies and adapts to the Oppo based on properties obtained via the handshake. I seem to recall having no problems with HDMI and Dirac at hi rez sampling into my Integra prepro, and I believe it was via Intel Graphics 4000.

Has the setup in the Oppo been checked? You do have to use an HD video setting of 720p or higher in the Oppo for hi rez audio to transmit via HDMI. Otherwise, there is insufficient bandwidth for hi rez audio, since it is always transmitted integrated with the video stream. This sounds like it might possibly be the issue, but I could be wrong since hi rez goes through to the Oppo whenever DAP is off or bypassed.

No, one should not use Realtec audio. That would be analog out, not HDMI, and lower in quality.

Fitz, thanks.

I may be naive, but I have pretty much ruled out the Oppo as a cause due to the fact that 24/96 5.1 works perfectly without DAP in the chain. Also, I get exact same results if I take Oppo out of the chain, and run directly from the computer to the XMC-1.

It seems that the DAP is the issue and more specifically that DAP "sees" Intel Display Audio, while Windows80 and JRiver both "see" Oppo 105RPT.

By the way, I did check the Oppo settings just to be sure. I have 1080p selected and have always used the analog outs for music playback.

Hopefully I can get this figured out, I do like Dirac.

Thanks.

jjk

I have not used the Oppo for this but I recall something about a driver.

Thanks Kal.

Seems like DAP must be the culprit and more specifically the driver issue.

DAP "sees" Intel Display Audio (KS), but Windows and JRiver "see" Oppo 105RPT.

If I select Dirac Audio Processor (Kernel Streaming) as an output for JRiver, it returns the error message,"6Ch 96k playback not possible on this output"

Hopefully I can get this figured out with Dirac, as I like the product.

Thanks.

jjk

Thanks Kal.

Seems like DAP must be the culprit and more specifically the driver issue.

DAP "sees" Intel Display Audio (KS), but Windows and JRiver "see" Oppo 105RPT.

If I select Dirac Audio Processor (Kernel Streaming) as an output for JRiver, it returns the error message,"6Ch 96k playback not possible on this output"

Hopefully I can get this figured out with Dirac, as I like the product.

Thanks.

I think for normal operations, JRiver output should be Wasabi to DAP, and DAP output would be KS via HDMI to the Oppo or the prepro. That way they do not conflict, since both are normally in operation concurrently. The error message when trying to do KS output from JRiver might be because DAP has KS tied up, and it might not be fully shut down.

Yes, the problem appears to be centered on the DAP. Does Dirac now officially support Win 10? They did not last time I checked, although I have heard that some use it successfully. I use Win 7, myself.

Kal and a friend routinely use DAP with HDMI out to a prepro in hi rez Mch. Kal has used several prepros that way, I believe. Not sure which OS he is using. And, my friend uses DAP/HDMI to a Marantz 8801 using Win 7. I will do some more checking.

Kal and a friend routinely use DAP with HDMI out to a prepro in hi rez Mch. Kal has used several prepros that way, I believe. Not sure which OS he is using. And, my friend uses DAP/HDMI to a Marantz 8801 using Win 7. I will do some more checking.

I use a MacMini/BootCamp/Win7 to feed a Marantz AV8802a. I use DL but I avoid a lot of the issues the OP is having by using DL filters as VST Plug-Ins. As a result, they become part of MC and you can send the output of MC to the target player directly.

DL is controlled from the Equalizer options in Tools-Advanced-Audio-DSP.

Not really"minimum fuss and bother."

Kal Rubinson

I use a MacMini/BootCamp/Win7 to feed a Marantz AV8802a. I use DL but I avoid a lot of the issues the OP is having by using DL filters as VST Plug-Ins. As a result, they become part of MC and you can send the output of MC to the target player directly.

DL is controlled from the Equalizer options in Tools-Advanced-Audio-DSP.

Not really"minimum fuss and bother."

Thanks for thinking about this some more.

How did you acquire the VST...Is that a matter of asking Flavio for the app?

Thanks Kal

jjk

Thanks for thinking about this some more.

How did you acquire the VST...Is that a matter of asking Flavio for the app?

Thanks Kal

Kal, thanks for the VST reference.

Flavio did provide access to the VST which I loaded in to JRiver.

Much better results although still not perfect. I still get random skipping with the VST, but outside of the skipping, the playback is good.

But it gets weird again.

I have tried every setting I can find in JRiver to eliminate the skipping. I was pretty disciplined about it, one at a time, so I could keep track. I found one that eliminated the skips.

In the device settings tab I changed the WASAPI buffer from the recommended 50 mS to 100 mS and this cured the skips.

However, with the buffer increased to 100, the Audio Path in JRiver reported an output of 96/16 6CH. JRiver was downsampling?

I can't believe there isn't enough computing power with an i5 and 8GB. So maybe still a bug in Dirac?

If this problem isn't immediately solvable which result would you choose:

1. Unfiltered 24/96 5.1

2. Filtered 24/48 5.1

3. Filtered 16/96 5.1

thanks again for your help

jjk

jjk