IGNORED

Hardware Requirements For HQ Player & Roon

Hi

Am kind of confused with the many threads here.

I currently use an Auralic Aries and would like to go into upsampling with HQ Player. I know the Aries is not an enabled NAA but Auralic says it may be soon. If not will switch to a microRendu. I would like to use Roon too but primarily HQ Player would be the main attraction.

My current hardware is outdated and I will need to replace it soon. My current music library is on various USB hard drives attached to a MacBook with an Intel 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor and 2 Gb of RAM, running OS X 10.6.8. The OS can no longer be updated as it is an older 32 bit machine. Both Aries and MacBook are connected to the network via Wi Fi to a 802.11 ac dual band router. I also have a Core 2 Duo PC running Windows Vista which I use for Plex video streaming. Both are probably too slow for HQ Player I guess.

My house is old and not really wired for ethernet outlets, so I will need ethernet via a wireless bridge or use Wi Fi.

I am guessing that I will need all or a combination of the hardware below. Is this correct?

1. NAS (Synology or QNAP)

2. Computer (Intel NUC i7 or iMac)

Would I need both? Or can I get away with running HQ Player and/or Roon on the NAS? Alternatively can I get away with keeping my library on the USB hard drives I have and running HQ Player and/or Roon on a computer.

Also, as my computers are old, would I be better off junking them and replacing them with an iMac for all purpose use as well as audio or keeping them for all purpose use and getting a dedicated Intel NUC solely for audio use? I gather an Intel NUC solely for audio would be optimal but if I am faced with replacing my computers not long down the road then an iMac may be a more cost effective solution. As most have you have probably experienced, the costs quickly add up..

My apologies if this is ground already covered but I went through a lot of the threads and wrote to Miska for a recommendation but did not receive a reply.

Thanks