IGNORED

New Sonus Faber Sf16 Unveiled in Sardinia, Italy

Undeniable enjoyment made possible by an all in one.
But if I understand correctly you enjoy your listening room separates system even more.. I just actually thought about it for a moment and I personally would never like to have another system in my apartment (my living room is always my listening room) for the simple reason that I'd probably not be able to enjoy fully the inferior one. The only possible reason for having it could be a will to keep the wife and kids' hands off the main system and such a situation in my case never took place. I obviously don't suggest that in your case this is the reason for another system in the house I can understand the necessity for it.
all in one units are not main system replacements for people who have the room. I have an all in one in my house and love it. When my wife and daughter crank up Beyoncé on the Naim Mu-so it makes me very happy. Undeniable enjoyment made possible by an all in one.

Let's flesh out more examples of all-in-one-life-style-type products we own then.

I tried searching whether there was a CA Article on Naim Mu-so. None. So, conclusion extracted rom Andrew Everard :

mu-so_2_grille-off.jpg

« So who’s it for?

There’s been a lot of discussion about what mu-so is, and who it’s really for: is it the perfect add-on for anyone with existing Naim network audio equipment, enabling music to played in a further room, or multiroom music to be sent from the main system to, say, the kitchen or study? Is it a way of attracting newcomers to the Naim brand with a product designed to be used as a main-room music system combining both style and performance? Or is it a way of getting the Naim sound without all those black boxes, offboard power supplies and stiff cables?

I’d say the answer is ‘all of the above’: I am sure mu-so will attract those buyers just wanting a simple, flexible and high-quality sound system that’s both a talking point and also discreet enough to blend into a room and deliver great sound without taking the place over. It should also do a good job of exposing the Naim brand to a lot of buyers who would never normally set foot inside a hi-fi shop.

But at the same time, I don’t think the Naim faithful have anything to fear from mu-so: it may be very different from anything the company has made to date, but for all the ‘differentness’ the usual Naim values, and the Naim sound, are very much intact here. »

muso-in-pieces.jpg

And me, 9 months ago, I bought a second Marantz MS7000 Consolette (in black, my first was silver/white), before it became discontinued (due to their importers' [and dealers too] inability to really sell-it-on) because I like its sound and have long studied works by its audio engineers, Karl-Heinz Fink and Ken Ishiwata :

c26-MARANTZ-MS7000BK-2-l.jpg

Marantz_Consolette_back.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

It's very interesting you say this. In the presentation Sonus Faber must have used the letters DNA 50 times to stress they are sticking to the DNA of the company. They mentioned the snail speaker and Serblin and that in a changing world they are sticking to their heritage and DNA while moving the company forward.

I'm not sticking up for them, just saying it's really weird how you and SF used the same words to get to different conclusions.

Not a surprise, I am a music lover and someone who like brands with a strong character build by people passionate about Products.

They are the Marketing guys who are exploring a brand value.

The only issue I see is...when SF starts to be know more from it's all-in-one class D implementation and china based loudspeakers, most of it's value based on it's real "dna" will be eroded...

By the way, did they also mention in the presentation that Franco left when the company was sold and move to set is last company?

But if I understand correctly you enjoy your listening room separates system even more.. I just actually thought about it for a moment and I personally would never like to have another system in my apartment (my living room is always my listening room) for the simple reason that I'd probably not be able to enjoy fully the inferior one. The only possible reason for having it could be a will to keep the wife and kids' hands off the main system and such a situation in my case never took place. I obviously don't suggest that in your case this is the reason for another system in the house I can understand the necessity for it.

There are different kinds of enjoyment. In addition to my main system, I have a Squeezebox Boom - which is exactly what it sounds like - a network/internet enabled boom box. When doing housework or the like, I enjoy listening to it. I also enjoy listening to internet radio with it - announcer voices for news and talk sound quite good. The little device is well voiced to give a pleasing sound.

Would I ever use it for "critical" or "serious" listening? Not a chance. But I can still enjoy it when using it in the manner it was intended to be used.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's YouTube' date=' (primarily) seduces (?) :

[/font']

I have watched the vid and instantly wanted to repost it on my FB wall as the best looking all-in-one system that everyone should get, NOW. But then I read the price ...

So I'm keeping my Naim MuSo.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

There are different kinds of enjoyment. In addition to my main system, I have a Squeezebox Boom - which is exactly what it sounds like - a network/internet enabled boom box. When doing housework or the like, I enjoy listening to it. I also enjoy listening to internet radio with it - announcer voices for news and talk sound quite good. The little device is well voiced to give a pleasing sound.

Would I ever use it for "critical" or "serious" listening? Not a chance. But I can still enjoy it when using it in the manner it was intended to be used.

I am able to enjoy systems in my friends' places (or even cars) regardless of their price if they are well balanced. Especially if the music is good. Some of the most badly balanced system I heard in my life were quite pricey (!). The big bucks spent aren't unfortunately the guarantee of a good sound.. And a cheap system doesn't ex definitio have to sound bad. The only thing I absolutely don't accept is listening to the music in public through a smartphone's built-in speakers. I am ready to kill for that! ;)

As for all in one systems' photos... :)

boat-car-hs.jpg

Quickly, on a couple of points that were made :

I am a music lover and someone who like brands with a strong character build by people passionate about Products.

It's a small world ? Say, if we attend concerts regularly then we likely become friends with the-regular-concertgoers, even performing musicians themselves ?

Well, I'm friends too with speaker-engineer Karl-Heinz Fink, recalling his all-in-one recommendation :

« Killer-Set: It normally doesn't happen that I promote projects I have worked on, but this one is the exception. If I would have to make a top 10 list with developments done in the last 25 years, this one would be on it. It's a small setup made by DENON called Ceol Carino. The amp is powerful enough (2x25 Watt), got a USB port, Bluetooth and analog in. Plays on my MAC without driver (should do WIN also without driver). The speakers are small 3.25" fullrange, a passive radiator is on the back and the cabinet is fully optimized in terms of cabinet vibrations. DENON supported all our crazy ideas (we used a MDF brace for this tiny cabinet!). Inside the unit runs a DSP with a lot of tricks to squeeze real 70Hz out of this little box. But more important: The whole set plays music with pace, great timing, nice resolution and a sweet tonal balance. Even image is there! We had so much fun with the system that we really added everything we knew. Try one if you can. Prize is below 300€ - connect it to your computer, start WIMP and enjoy :) »

10934050_804261232961566_6947768980681690570_n.jpg?oh=8e8142c3454284b59c0d3c734bd5f0a3&oe=5834EB52

FB

Facebook, briefly, I see the people behind Sf are there (but I've not try to befriend them—because there's hardly enough time to really care for friends I already have) :

Sf16-VII.jpg

Livio Cucuzza, Chief Industrial Designer

Sf16-II.jpg

Paolo Tezzon, head of R&D

Indeed, PT looks kinda worried, demonstration locales aren't always the best... You, if you're buying a Sf16, will surely have better placement ideas for your own home

«

an accurate picture

I like it. I can see it in a min-c modern setting. Teak wood. Danish glass. Swedish textiles. Neutral colors. Some Italian leather. Non objective art on the walls. Pale gray sky-glimmer through the custom sliding glass doors leading out to the garden. Tall blonde with a shaker of vodka martinis waiting for you after a hard day of writing for some Euro-centric publication on the evils of the UK leaving the EU.

Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debby sounds good on the Sf16. Scott LaFaro's bass, genius.

It is the end of a perfect day.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I like it. I can see it in a min-c modern setting. Teak wood. Danish glass. Swedish textiles. Neutral colors. Some Italian leather. Non objective art on the walls. Pale gray sky-glimmer through the custom sliding glass doors leading out to the garden. Tall blonde with a shaker of vodka martinis waiting for you after a hard day of writing for some Euro-centric publication on the evils of the UK leaving the EU.

Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debby sounds good on the Sf16. Scott LaFaro's bass, genius.

It is the end of a perfect day.

If the tall blonde is involved I'd be more interested in what's happening next.

Continue please.. ;)

You know-it-alls can whoop it up over this cute little contraption. Go ahead. But at night, it grows into a freaking giant Transformer that exists to smite you and all the fleshies. Who'll be laughing then??

But for now it's kinda fetching.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Bathos :

« In a survey, Spotify found that music is just as effective as coffee to wake you up in the morning. Spotify trends expert Shanon Cook spoke with CBSN's Vladimir Duthiers about the top songs that people play to get themselves moving. »

Rather than the coupler, Sf16 coupled with Spotify as decoupler ?

«

an accurate picture

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Let's flesh out more examples of all-in-one-life-style-type products we own...

[11] months ago' date=' I bought a second Marantz MS7000 Consolette (in black, my first was silver/white)...

Marantz_Consolette_back.jpg

Feeling somewhat self conscious that I admitted earlier today to currently using a dedicated mono setup (it's what I prefer for YouTube talks—those which you've often seen me quote), I'm changing over now to stereo :

29379d1475205112-new-sonus-faber-sf16-unveiled-sardinia-italy-change-over-consolette.jpg

I'll show you better this cosy space of mine after this weekend, tidying it from Winter sloth, mess :) You can deduce, from the room-corners of the above and below photos, that well executed Sf16 type all-in-ones are great solutions to modest sized bedrooms :

Ricardo' date=' a Post for you :)[/font']

As you can gather, I almost indiscriminately listen, watch...

From all the products I have, I change setups for specific purposes. Here's, in small bedroom, my single channel system, of the past week, dealing with mono albums, or old films in 4:3 ratio, even that 240p presentation by KI :

29365d1475177111-cable-arrangement-best-practice-mono-wiring.jpg

29364d1475177090-cable-arrangement-best-practice-mono-rear.jpg

29363d1475177052-cable-arrangement-best-practice-mono-setup.jpg

So, mainly, short 50cm cabling, arranged so that they don't touch one another.

Yes, I'm happy sitting, sprawling leisurely on the polyurethaned cork floor.

No, I seldom enjoy DVDs on my plasma ; CRT has its uses, charm...

Perhaps I should get an AudioQuest Dragonfly, but, you know, I've been waiting in New Zealand for this

By the way, that's a broken DC1020, shielding TV... Nobody operates a player beneath vibrating speakers

Change over to Consolette.JPG

«

an accurate picture

Sure, ironic... ;)

9%20OMA%20Ironic.JPG

And I decided to dust that corner shelf completely by unloading :

Dusting, rearrange.JPG

29379d1475205112-new-sonus-faber-sf16-unveiled-sardinia-italy-change-over-consolette.jpg

I'll show you better this cosy space of mine after this weekend' date=' tidying it from Winter sloth, mess :) You can deduce, from the room-corners of the above and below photos, that [i']well executed[/i] Sf16 type all-in-ones are great solutions to modest sized bedrooms

Will show you, next time, how (because a Blu-ray film has arrived) I've changed to an all-in-one soundbar, plasma setup

«

an accurate picture