IGNORED

Devialet Petition

Georgethesixth

Phil,

I don't want to hijack your tread, but there is some discussion on Devialet and Air in this thread. I hope you allow this message. It is a cry of frustration.

Kind regards,

George

Dear,

A few months ago, I proposed to start an online petition to ask Devialet to do something about the AIR-problem.

While a lot of people were enthusiastic, one of you reacted and proposed to explain to Devialet what I intended to do before starting the petition.

I did that. I opened a case, explained what I intended to do. I also asked a very simple question : give me a PC-system (make and model) that will work.

We are five months later now, and I haven't received a meaningful answer yet. At first they asked a lot of info : I used to be system and networks engineer so I provided them all the info, and more. After that : nothing.

Three weeks ago, I again warned support that I would take action. Again I was promised a response, not a solution, but a response. Needless to say that no response materialized. Please click the line if you agree. If you have suggestions or remarks, please feel free.

My intention is to post the petition at every review for the new products they will be announcing, something I've warned them about.

If you want to get involved, send me a PM. I feel lonely smile.gif

I really wanted to avoid this : I simply want to be happy with my purchase, purchase a second one to upgrade the config etc.

Thanks,

George

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/devialet

So you're posting this on every forum? Pretty lame, and soon to be removed, I'd guess.

Phil,

I don't want to hijack your tread, but there is some discussion on Devialet and Air in this thread. I hope you allow this message. It is a cry of frustration.

Kind regards,

George

Dear,

A few months ago, I proposed to start an online petition to ask Devialet to do something about the AIR-problem.

While a lot of people were enthusiastic, one of you reacted and proposed to explain to Devialet what I intended to do before starting the petition.

I did that. I opened a case, explained what I intended to do. I also asked a very simple question : give me a PC-system (make and model) that will work.

We are five months later now, and I haven't received a meaningful answer yet. At first they asked a lot of info : I used to be system and networks engineer so I provided them all the info, and more. After that : nothing.

Three weeks ago, I again warned support that I would take action. Again I was promised a response, not a solution, but a response. Needless to say that no response materialized. Please click the line if you agree. If you have suggestions or remarks, please feel free.

My intention is to post the petition at every review for the new products they will be announcing, something I've warned them about.

If you want to get involved, send me a PM. I feel lonely smile.gif

I really wanted to avoid this : I simply want to be happy with my purchase, purchase a second one to upgrade the config etc.

Thanks,

George

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/devialet

Kilroy,

I understand your reaction, but please try to understand why I did this.

When you search 'Devialet Air problems' you will see how many people receive simply no reply from Devialet.

At product launch three years ago - and even now - AIR was marketed as the recommended solution to connect an HTPC to Devialet. In these two years, AIR has never functioned for more than 30 minutes. Even more : at product launch, we were told that Air had a 1000 euro value, and would only be free for three months after launch date.

I'm the IT-manager (CIO) of a 5500 company, so I understand the difficulties with It, but they simply do not answer support requests. I asked them a Non-Mac config that would work : no answer.

I've tested with HP and Dell equipment server and PC's, Windows server 2008 and 2012, Windows 7,8 and 10.

I've used dedicated NICs to eliminate possible network glitches or QoS interference. I've spend hours gathering information Devialet asked when I opened the case, but after the initial action there was no reply for 5 months, except : we are working on it.

I've used it with AO and without AO...

Last week, I received an heads up mail about the new product range and the message I would be invited to a payable upgrade.

What would you do in my situation ? The company simply refuses to acknowledge the problem for two years, and refuses to offer a work arround. I suppose they have stable systems so why not simply tell which configuration would work.

Kind regards,

george

Kilroy,

I understand your reaction, but please try to understand why I did this.

When you search 'Devialet Air problems' you will see how many people receive simply no reply from Devialet.

At product launch three years ago - and even now - AIR was marketed as the recommended solution to connect an HTPC to Devialet. In these two years, AIR has never functioned for more than 30 minutes. Even more : at product launch, we were told that Air had a 1000 euro value, and would only be free for three months after launch date.

I'm the IT-manager (CIO) of a 5500 company, so I understand the difficulties with It, but they simply do not answer support requests. I asked them a Non-Mac config that would work : no answer.

I've tested with HP and Dell equipment server and PC's, Windows server 2008 and 2012, Windows 7,8 and 10.

I've used dedicated NICs to eliminate possible network glitches or QoS interference. I've spend hours gathering information Devialet asked when I opened the case, but after the initial action there was no reply for 5 months, except : we are working on it.

I've used it with AO and without AO...

Last week, I received an heads up mail about the new product range and the message I would be invited to a payable upgrade.

What would you do in my situation ? The company simply refuses to acknowledge the problem for two years, and refuses to offer a work arround. I suppose they have stable systems so why not simply tell which configuration would work.

Kind regards,

george

Sounds like to me they made a fundamental design/engineering mistake, which is to say there probably is not a solution short of refurbing all the units. They are resistant obviously, and beyond that probably simply can't afford to do it. Just guess work on my part of course, though if it the fix via software was possible you think they would have done it by now as this is a widely reported problem (I don't know much about the Devialet, but I have heard of this)...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Kind regards,

george

If you like devialet for it's sound, why don't you simply skip Air and move to a ethernet-usb converter such as the microRendu?

If you like devialet for it's sound, why don't you simply skip Air and move to a ethernet-usb converter such as the microRendu?

1) Ethernet might not be run to the amp. Wifi could be used for AIR.

2) The clean one box solution goes out the door. WAF issues.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Both ethernet and mR contribute to a lower noise floor, and you probably will notice on your wonderful Sabrinas. I love those speakers by the way, one of the "boxy" I could live with...

Cable easy to hide, and mR is also so small...

Choices, choices...

Both ethernet and mR contribute to a lower noise floor, and you probably will notice on your wonderful Sabrinas. I love those speakers by the way, one of the "boxy" I could live with...

Cable easy to hide, and mR is also so small...

Choices, choices...

Those aren't my reasons, just reasons why someone else might be upset with Devialet. I already have a properly configured audio computer feeding my Devialet via USB. Fortunately I expect the mR to not be an improvement over it. My expectation bias has saved my $1000 CDN.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Yep - I think the Hi-Fi industry underestimates the place of Wifi at its peril. Devialet did not, they just screwed the actual implementation and it is obviously a (rather large IMO) black eye for them. Not entirely unexpected however now that Hi-Fi manufactures have to be computer/network experts as well and most of them are not large companies...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Yep - I think the Hi-Fi industry underestimates the place of Wifi at its peril. Devialet did not, they just screwed the actual implementation and it is obviously a (rather large IMO) black eye for them. Not entirely unexpected however now that Hi-Fi manufactures have to be computer/network experts as well and most of them are not large companies...

Have no intention of denying the claims made above.

There are a large number of people frustrated with Devialet and their customer relations but it must be pointed out that a recent beta of AIR3 is working in my system both with A+ and/or ROON with a hard wired ethernet Devialet to Macbook.

Sounds far better that the AES/XLR Heimdall cable and Aries Auralic it replaced.

Here's hoping they respond to this effort.

*My advice to others (It's probably too late for George6th) is avoid buying French Hi-Fi (OK. Speakers are probably a safe bet). The French, (the same people who brought us the 9 mm home movie system (instead of the 8 mm system used by the rest of the world) with the sprocket holes in the middle of the film, between the frames, the Citroen DS series of cars with a brake button in the floor instead of having a brake peddle, and the Renault 16 where the wheelbase is different on the left side of the car than it is on the right!) are known for their quirky, non-standard engineering that is out of step with the rest of the world. Remember, The French are the folks that brought us the Jadis tube amplifier with more than two percent THD at the amp's rated power in order to make the amp "sound better"!

* OK, this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. Yeah, Froggy engineering is quirky, but a lot of people LIKE that about them, and find it charming. Their cars are certainly more mainstream today than they used to be. And a lot of French products are well made. I just thought I'd jokingly remind every one that if you do buy French, don't be surprised if doing business with them is "different" from doing business with American, British, Italian or German companies. And Remember what Jeremy Clarkson called the French: "Cheese-eating surrender Monkeys." Passez le Gauloises, s'il vous plait!

George

*My advice to others (It's probably too late for George6th) is avoid buying French Hi-Fi (OK. Speakers are probably a safe bet). The French, (the same people who brought us the 9 mm home movie system (instead of the 8 mm system used by the rest of the world) with the sprocket holes in the middle of the film, between the frames, the Citroen DS series of cars with a brake button in the floor instead of having a brake peddle, and the Renault 16 where the wheelbase is different on the left side of the car than it is on the right!) are known for their quirky, non-standard engineering that is out of step with the rest of the world. Remember, The French are the folks that brought us the Jadis tube amplifier with more than two percent THD at the amp's rated power in order to make the amp "sound better"!

* OK, this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. Yeah, Froggy engineering is quirky, but a lot of people LIKE that about them, and find it charming. Their cars are certainly more mainstream today than they used to be. And a lot of French products are well made. I just thought I'd jokingly remind every one that if you do buy French, don't be surprised if doing business with them is "different" from doing business with American, British, Italian or German companies. And Remember what Jeremy Clarkson called the French: "Cheese-eating surrender Monkeys." Passez le Gauloises, s'il vous plait!

Totally funny....but you need to know these Devialet pieces are just top notch....traded in a Berkeley DAC and Alpha USB as the Devialet is so superior. Seriously great stereo gear.

Hey, I work in Canada with one province in ten with french as the official language...call into the province on a professional work related basis and we're greeted with a minute or two of French then a statement like, " for English press nine"...so along the lines of " add twenty plus fifteen, divide by five, then call us back within ten minutes with the correct answer"....then the only binary possibility; positive, a gaulic shrug, or negative, the raised middle finger...... ;-)

Totally funny....but you need to know these Devialet pieces are just top notch....traded in a Berkeley DAC and Alpha USB as the Devialet is so superior. Seriously great stereo gear.

Hey, I work in Canada with one province in ten with french as the official language...call into the province on a professional work related basis and we're greeted with a minute or two of French then a statement like, " for English press nine"...so along the lines of " add twenty plus fifteen, divide by five, then call us back within ten minutes with the correct answer"....then the only binary possibility; positive, a gaulic shrug, or negative, the raised middle finger...... ;-)

Yes, of course, Devialet equipment is top notch. It wasn't their equipment that I was gently chiding, but rather the quaint Gallic way that most French companies do business. They do strive (rather successfully too) to be different.

George

While at Mono and Stereo I accidentally clicked on one of the many ads instead.

It was a dealer with a few trade ins as expected, but what opened my eye were the number of Devialet amps, nine!

This is a little unusual but why, now this thread and makes a bit more sense now.

Some cool Ayon tube amps, three of them, something wrong with them too, apart from being tubed?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

While at Mono and Stereo I accidentally clicked on one of the many ads instead.

It was a dealer with a few trade ins as expected, but what opened my eye were the number of Devialet amps, nine!

This is a little unusual but why, now this thread and makes a bit more sense now.

Some cool Ayon tube amps, three of them, something wrong with them too, apart from being tubed?

The other reason would be that Devialet is about to announce a new upgraded line, the "Pro" series. People are probably dumping not wanting to pay 5 arms and 2 legs to get their unit upgraded.

I'm going to start playing around with the Devialet driving different power amps and see what I like in comparison. Once I have a power amp figured out, move the devialet and do a new line stage and dac.

From all rumours it's going to cost at least $5000 CDN to upgrade my $9500 D200. I'm not willing to dump that much more money into Devialet.

The other reason would be that Devialet is about to announce a new upgraded line, the "Pro" series. People are probably dumping not wanting to pay 5 arms and 2 legs to get their unit upgraded.

I'm going to start playing around with the Devialet driving different power amps and see what I like in comparison. Once I have a power amp figured out, move the devialet and do a new line stage and dac.

From all rumours it's going to cost at least $5000 CDN to upgrade my $9500 D200. I'm not willing to dump that much more money into Devialet.

Here is the example of Devialet having strained their relationship with their customer base with rumours of substantial upgrades of undisclosed but likely quite significant cost, leaked beta software and dealers who are under NDA's while we, their customers, must await the annoucement which may or may not come sometime this summer.

It is rare that a company has created such ill will that owners of their products are now posting threads such as these, threads which will only have negative effect on the poster's system value and resale.

Interesting. unfortunately, I have never watched "The Simpsons", so, The first time I ever heard the phrase was on "Top Gear" from Jeremy Clarkson.

The first time I heard it deployed was by Donald Rumsfeld.

Here is the example of Devialet having strained their relationship with their customer base with rumours of substantial upgrades of undisclosed but likely quite significant cost, leaked beta software and dealers who are under NDA's while we, their customers, must await the annoucement which may or may not come sometime this summer.

It is rare that a company has created such ill will that owners of their products are now posting threads such as these, threads which will only have negative effect on the poster's system value and resale.

Apple has been doing a rather bang-up job of this, post Jobs.

I worked for a very large French high tech company. Three periods, quit twice and came back through acquisitions.

Tremendous engineering. Some so complicated it was a decade ahead of the industry. But everything had to be made very complex and offer functions that were of sometimes of little importance.

Once bean counters took over nothing ever worked. The overly complicated products were fast tracked into production. It meant some items never functioned properly. Others a couple of years after release to be fully functional.

The engineering stayed world class. The implementation was hit and miss. Sounds familiar.

Glad to be a pensioner.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I worked for a very large French high tech company. Three periods, quit twice and came back through acquisitions.

Tremendous engineering. Some so complicated it was a decade ahead of the industry. But everything had to be made very complex and offer functions that were of sometimes of little importance.

Once bean counters took over nothing ever worked. The overly complicated products were fast tracked into production. It meant some items never functioned properly. Others a couple of years after release to be fully functional.

The engineering stayed world class. The implementation was hit and miss. Sounds familiar.

Glad to be a pensioner.

Sure sounds familiar to me. I once had Thompson CSF as a semiconductor customer when I was working as a marketing engineer for a large IC manufacturer!

George

Sure sounds familiar to me. I once had Thompson CSF as a semiconductor customer when I was working as a marketing engineer for a large IC manufacturer!

I've worked with ST Microelectronics chips a fair bit, and some of them have rather outlandish designs, especially the older ones.

• 2 weeks later...
So you're posting this on every forum? Pretty lame, and soon to be removed, I'd guess.

Actually, it's lame to post that it's lame ;)

The idea is to find as many Devialet users that have been affected as possible, so they can all join the petition and feel like they're being heard (or at least trying). Not all users frequent the same sites, so hats off to georgetyesixth for putting in the effort.

I was affected - by this and other faults and appalling customer service - and as such have completely gone off the brand and wouldn't recommend Devialet despite thinking it looks cool and sounds good. I think it's good that other potential customers are aware how they're likely to be treated should they have any issues, and specifically streaming issues.

If you buy a Devialet for the sole purpose of using it as they advertise it - streaming straight to it from your computer source even over wired gigabit Ethernet - do so at your own risk. It's likely to flake out often. Devialet will try and convince you it's your network. Then they will try and convince you it's Microsoft or Apple's faults for bugs in their operating systems. Then you'll ask them what setup will actually work or when updates/fixes are coming. Then they'll go quiet. Very very quiet.

Meanwhile, switch to Roons streaming architecture on the same network and host computers, and it's flawless.

What you want from a piece of hardware costing between £5K and £24K? Thought not!

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

I tried a more direct social media approach, but not many Devialet owners are on or understand twitter.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/airisajoke?src=hash

Devialet did respond to one of my tweets, they told me fixing it hasn't been a priority for them. Probably to busy at F1 races and dealer smoozing events.