IGNORED

Oppo BDP-105 ("D" or not) as a pre-amp - what is your experience/take?

Thinking about upgrading the living room - cheap Best Buy HT rig for the women of the house right now (I don't watch much TV or listen to music in there). Goal is a minimum "mid-fi" (or better) sound so that I can enjoy music in there occasionally, so I am thinking of an Oppo-105D and using it as a media player/pre-amp, hooked up directly to power amp and speakers (like maybe a Emotiva or Rotel or Parasound/similiar amp and some Elac/similar floor standers).

Anyone using your Oppo 105 as a pre-amp? What is your experience with the volume control - this is my main concern as it resets itstelf to 100 (max) on firmware re-flash and (possibly - I am reading conflicting info) when losing power...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I was considering the same, I had hoped to use a Modwright I contacted them and they advised against it. you might ask them why.

Interesting, I was reading some older thread on another forum yesterday and someone said the same thing - guess you are uncomfortable repeating what they said? Knowing that their claim to fame is mods on Oppo's and similar, I would like to believe they have good reasons but on the other hand are they really just trying to sell their wares? That sounds more conspiratorial than I mean it ;)

No discomfort for me only telling you what mod weight told me.

Ooops, I took you to be implying that they told you why but you were uncomfortable saying on the forum the reason they gave you...sounds like they simply "advised against it" and you did not inquire as to their reasoning - well inquiring minds want to know! What reasons do they have for "advising against it"? I suspect it has to do with the lack of a manual volume control (no buttons/knob, only control through the remote) OR perhaps they simply don't like the performance of the Oppo 105 as a pre-amp and/or dac.

Like you say, I should give em a call I suppose...