IGNORED

24-bit Beatles Remasters

I realize any larger sample rates would require a alrger USB stick, but c'mon. They automatically reduce their audience by 70% (those without a 24 bit DAC) and reduce it even more (those with a 24 bit DAC that could care less about another 44.1k remaster release one month after buying the physical discs).

EMI needs to lease a download server and start selling the archived 24/192 (or 24/96 worst case) HiRez files to the niche of Beatle fans who would gladly fork over more $$ for true HiRez. Ah....to finally hear the Fab four in glorious "master tape" resolution. It would be far less money than a Continuum TT setup ($100k). ;)

Ted

P.S. I still think there is a 10% chance that the press release (all us beatle.com subscribers got it in an email this week, too) has a typo. they meant "sourced from 24 bit" and will deliver 16/44 FLAC files (much like the 20 or 24 bit gold cd releases we see every now and again).

• 1 month later...

Sorry - this may a dumb question. But in a Danish forum, there seems to be some confusion as to whether it's possible to copy the 24-bit files to your harddrive. Does it take any special skills to copy the files from the stick?

I have the apple in the mail, but I'll return it if there's any doubt here ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Been sampling the 44.1/ 16-bit stereo/mono & 44.1/24-bit USB Apple

as well as some non-remasters

The mono's, for the most part, are still my favorite, especially Revolver, Rubber soul & The White album.

The 24-bit versions are definitively revealing of harmonics, space & overall characteristics.

Still baby steps though, hopefully someday 96kHz

I still don't understand the compression introduced throughout the remastered series.

Let It Be Naked, still has a few on Let It Be remastered that are superior, such as "For You Blue".

You can use Max to convert the FLAC to AIFF or ALAC.

Don't use the, add to iTunes feature built in, unless your a fan of Mp3

Rubber Soul has no Meta Data the rest converted fine.

The entire flash can be moved onto your hard drive (9.75 Gb)

The green apple is not Aluminum, rather a die-cast ferrous metal.

(found it gravitating to my tweeter)

It's so Small!

I have purchased the Mono version and the package and music is great. I know the original vinly version is better etc and I would purchase a re-release vinly version.

The USB version seems expensive for some. It's $US279. But I think those who complain don't realise it is 24 bit or not used to paying for music.

Keep on Upgrading!!!

I have purchased the Mono version and the package and music is great. I know the original vinly version is better etc and I would purchase a re-release vinly version.

The USB version seems expensive for some. It's $US279. But I think those who complain don't realise it is 24 bit or not used to paying for music.

Keep on Upgrading!!!

In fact, I have a pristine UK pressing of the Beatles Collection on vinyl. And it really demonstrates how good the Beatles sound is in many cases. Especially timbre is good. The production is, well, strange--as the discussions of the mono vs. stereo versions shows.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Thanks. I'll keep my apple when it arrives, then.

All best,

Jens

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I thought the Beatles couldn't sound any better, these simply proved me wrong. They simply allow all the decays to sound deeper, the smooth passages to sound fuller and, well, everything seems so much richer. Still we are not getting any higher in the HF range (max 16-17k). This is probably why they did not bother use a higher sampling rate. Would be useless IMHO.

Yet, every single song sounds so much closer to us, it sounds amazingly real now, and not just "equalized and flitered". I'm rediscovering every song again.

Missing Abbey Road and Yellow Submarine. Just can't wait.

What are you listening for?

Cosmuk,

Can you elaborate on your comment about not using the built-in "add to iTunes" feature of Max? I've used this feature for all my FLAC - AIFF conversions and haven't noticed any issues.

Thanks,

Bob

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +