IGNORED

Reasonable choices for 802.11ac router for Aries streaming?

With a basement remodel in progress and my main system shoved into a sheltered corner I've had to make some changes over the past 2 weeks falling back to headphone listening in an upstairs office and shifting my NAS around to get it out of the dust zone. Last night wasn't fun, apparently Verizon updated my router and I spent some frustrating time going through setup re initialization before it finally dawned on me that what I changed in November could have been undone by a router update. But out of change sometimes you learn something;

I've noticed since shifting router & NAS to main floor with Aries mini/DAC/headphone amp served over N wifi upstairs that the sound had become grainy for internal harmonic purity. Using a black and white film comparison, it was like when film is switched from fine grain negative to medium grain negative, the pictures still all there but with low level detail blur became detectable. Problem now bettered by using a range extender with the Aries wifi N attached to the range extender and the NAS now moved upstairs and hardwired to the 1 ethernet port on the range extender.

I've really never had to think of Wifi before as an integral part of the system... in my basement setup my audio wifi equipment was all within 10 feet. What do folks see as important to think about/ good choices in an 802.11ac router/range extender to support an Aries setup covering the home?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hmm, no responses, guess this isn't on anyone else's radar.

I will say this, the change to using a Netgear range extender for physical Ethernet homing of Synology NAS and close proximity Wifi N connection of the Aries mini is working really well. May be some benefit to having a dedicated access point vs using shared home router...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

hmm, actually in this setup the only Internet access used with the extender is Tidal. Thinking about locking the extender down to only the MAC addresses for my streaming gear... zero access point contention with smart phones, game consoles, laptops and blue ray players, assuming traffic stays local transiting between devices attached to the extender with occasional Tidal streams from the Fios router to the range extender..

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

A couple (or few) of thoughts:

1) Never use a supplied router's wifi. Verizon, TWC, etc., can do updates (and not tell you) and reset passwords to default allowing hackers easy access. I am not saying it happens a lot but it has happened. Only use a supplied router as a wired gateway.

2) Biggest issue I have seen from wifi is interference from neighbors even though I live in a large-lot neighborhood (I have 1.5 acres). I have seen 6-8 different neighbor networks. Pick channel(s) no one else is using.

3) The big, expensive "super" routers do not offer anything unless you are transferring gigabyte sized files via wifi. I currently have a Netgear R7000 and it is, by far, the most stable and reliable unit I have purchased (previous includes Linksys, ASUS, and Apple Xtremes). ASUS have a little more range but very unstable. That said ASUS, I believe, has switched to open-source firmware and stability is reputed to be much better.

4) I would have to read up more but the "Mesh" setups such as EERO look really interesting and are worth investigating.

5) Hardwire when/if you can. Next time you need an electrician have him/her run an ethernet cable to required locations.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

A couple (or few) of thoughts:

1) Never use a supplied router's wifi. Verizon, TWC, etc., can do updates (and not tell you) and reset passwords to default allowing hackers easy access. I am not saying it happens a lot but it has happened. Only use a supplied router as a wired gateway.

2) Biggest issue I have seen from wifi is interference from neighbors even though I live in a large-lot neighborhood (I have 1.5 acres). I have seen 6-8 different neighbor networks. Pick channel(s) no one else is using.

3) The big, expensive "super" routers do not offer anything unless you are transferring gigabyte sized files via wifi. I currently have a Netgear R7000 and it is, by far, the most stable and reliable unit I have purchased (previous includes Linksys, ASUS, and Apple Xtremes). ASUS have a little more range but very unstable. That said ASUS, I believe, has switched to open-source firmware and stability is reputed to be much better.

4) I would have to read up more but the "Mesh" setups such as EERO look really interesting and are worth investigating.

5) Hardwire when/if you can. Next time you need an electrician have him/her run an ethernet cable to required locations.

JCB,

Trust me on this one. I have used a ton of routers, extenders, access points both in my home in FL and MT. The initial EERO firmware had some issues. NOW, on 1.1.0 it is amazing. There is no going back. No dead spots, I literally have the fastest and most reliable wireless connections I have ever had. While a three pack costs 499 you get better coverage than any router extender combo I have ever used and there is no switching to different SSID, etc. Setup is a breeze.

JCB,

Trust me on this one. I have used a ton of routers, extenders, access points both in my home in FL and MT. The initial EERO firmware had some issues. NOW, on 1.1.0 it is amazing. There is no going back. No dead spots, I literally have the fastest and most reliable wireless connections I have ever had. While a three pack costs 499 you get better coverage than any router extender combo I have ever used and there is no switching to different SSID, etc. Setup is a breeze.

EERO came about a couple years too late. While having some AV work done I had them run an ethernet wire inside my walls from my router to my system (Oppo, SBT, TV) which is downstairs and across the house. Adding an access point for wifi and I am whole house covered.

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

With a basement remodel in progress and my main system shoved into a sheltered corner I've had to make some changes over the past 2 weeks falling back to headphone listening in an upstairs office and shifting my NAS around to get it out of the dust zone. Last night wasn't fun, apparently Verizon updated my router and I spent some frustrating time going through setup re initialization before it finally dawned on me that what I changed in November could have been undone by a router update. But out of change sometimes you learn something;

I've noticed since shifting router & NAS to main floor with Aries mini/DAC/headphone amp served over N wifi upstairs that the sound had become grainy for internal harmonic purity. Using a black and white film comparison, it was like when film is switched from fine grain negative to medium grain negative, the pictures still all there but with low level detail blur became detectable. Problem now bettered by using a range extender with the Aries wifi N attached to the range extender and the NAS now moved upstairs and hardwired to the 1 ethernet port on the range extender.

I've really never had to think of Wifi before as an integral part of the system... in my basement setup my audio wifi equipment was all within 10 feet. What do folks see as important to think about/ good choices in an 802.11ac router/range extender to support an Aries setup covering the home?

There are several threads herein discussing 802.11ac wifi lately.

I encourage you to search for those.

You might also check which radio is installed in your Aries. Auralic started off with 802.11n but lately this has been replaced by 802.11ac.

I just installed a wireless network from Ruckus Wireless. So far so good. Very advanced configuration is possible if needed.

https://www.ruckuswireless.com/

Is a review coming? If not, can you break down what you got and why chose those pieces and Ruckus (perhaps in another thread)?

Thanks, Chris

Well I am not using an Aries BUT I am using EERO and with the latest firmware I would never consider using a router/extender ever again.

It's really that good.

Agreed. I've never had a house where there aren't dead spots. It's quite awesome!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I'd be curious where you end up. The thread on optical Ethernet has me intrigued, will be curious as to whether you go that route or prefer 802.11ac. Sounds like opportunity for another CA academy article ;<)

My friend has tried both wired gigabit Ethernet and wireless 802.11ac for Aries streaming. He has settled on wireless after purchasing a TP-Link AC3200 (Archer C3200) router and dedicating one of its two 5GHz radios exclusively to the Aries. Apparently streaming to Aries wirelessly works best when there are no other wireless devices sharing a 5GHz band and channel with Aries. My friend's setup also has a line-of-sight path between the wireless router and Aries which makes for decent wireless signal strength.

It may have something to do with the WLAN module inside Aries expending the least effort retrieving the wireless data stream when connected exclusively to a dedicated wireless channel, with no packet collisions with other wireless devices possible. I can imagine the WLAN module generating less electrical noise within Aries and thus the sound quality benefits. It's pretty amazing how an optimal wireless setup can trump wired Ethernet (as least without optical media converters) in terms of SQ.

My friend has tried both wired gigabit Ethernet and wireless 802.11ac for Aries streaming. He has settled on wireless after purchasing a TP-Link AC3200 (Archer C3200) router and dedicating one of its two 5GHz radios exclusively to the Aries. Apparently streaming to Aries wirelessly works best when there are no other wireless devices sharing a 5GHz band and channel with Aries. My friend's setup also has a line-of-sight path between the wireless router and Aries which makes for decent wireless signal strength.

It may have something to do with the WLAN module inside Aries expending the least effort retrieving the wireless data stream when connected exclusively to a dedicated wireless channel, with no packet collisions with other wireless devices possible. I can imagine the WLAN module generating less electrical noise within Aries and thus the sound quality benefits. It's pretty amazing how an optimal wireless setup can trump wired Ethernet (as least without optical media converters) in terms of SQ.

Something I've noticed over the past few days is that the Aries mini can be flaky about initial boot up if you try to connect to 2.4 MHz wifi but rarely fails if set for a 5 MHz wifi source

Regards,

Dave

Audio system