IGNORED

Martha Argerich Debut Recital 24/96 remaster

I mentioned in this other thread (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/special-discount-some-great-dg-highres-albums-qobuz-28871/) that i recently bought the remaster of Martha Argerich's legendary debut album.

Well, save your cash, not really worth spending a premium on the high-res (but really do get the album, it is outstanding : https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/06/21/argerich-vs-angelich-liszts-b-minor-sonata/), but the high-res remaster sounds as shoe-boxy as the DG Originals remaster I had.

It is a true 24/96, see the Musiscope pic below, with a good DR, but there's nothing going on above 12khz. To be fair, that is not unusual for a solo piano recording, but the SQ really is pretty poor. This is really DG at their worst.

01 Scherzo No.3 in C sharp minor, Op.39_Chopin_ Scherzo No.3 In C Sharp Minor, Op.39.m4a_report.png

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the tracks sound as if they were recorded with mics right inside the piano and nothing more.

Others sound as if recorded very close to though outside the piano.

They do lack sense of space or a natural cushion for the music to exist within.

DG's often sound this way. I wonder what mics they used in the recording?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Some of the tracks sound as if they were recorded with mics right inside the piano and nothing more.

Others sound as if recorded very close to though outside the piano.

They do lack sense of space or a natural cushion for the music to exist within.

DG's often sound this way. I wonder what mics they used in the recording?

I can give you the name of the sound engineer and the location but not the microphones.

Unfortunate they had that poor piano sound for ages, a horrible example 30 years later is the album Horowitz at Home (which should be called Horowitz in a shoe box).