IGNORED

Spotify has 100M subscribers

There is a telling statement in there though...

Despite the rising revenues, Spotify's losses rose by 10 per cent to €173m, prompting questions about the sustainability of its business model.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Despite the rising revenues, Spotify's losses rose by 10 per cent to €173m, prompting questions about the sustainability of its business model.

Agree, the so-called "free" model should probably be left to radio stations.

where did you read that?

Enough reason to note that numbers don't mean a thing and in business first get rid of the freeloaders.

Obviously, both Tidal and Qobuz lossless subscriber numbers are peanuts in this regard.

In a way Tidal and Qobuz would be having it easier in terms of overheads, b/w, server requirements, etc. A penny saved is still a penny earned.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Enough reason to note that numbers don't mean a thing and in business first get rid of the freeloaders.

In a way Tidal and Qobuz would be having it easier in terms of overheads, b/w, server requirements, etc. A penny saved is still a penny earned.

I don't know the numbers for Tidal, but at least Qobuz has yet to earn a penny, given that they went bankrupt end of last year.

I don't know the numbers for Tidal, but at least Qobuz has yet to earn a penny, given that they went bankrupt end of last year.

To my knowledge none of them are making any $$$, not even Tidal. But a large part of that could be because most of the earnings go to the studios, leaving very little for the artists and the service provider.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

To my knowledge none of them are making any $$$, not even Tidal. But a large part of that could be because most of the earnings go to the studios, leaving very little for the artists and the service provider.

I'm kind of wondering if Apple may be the only one making money.

They have at least the best basis for making money:

They already had all the existing relationships with the studios, just needed to expand the contracts to streaming. They have a huge installed base of Itunes and Iphone users and relatively limited promotion cost for the new service (plus the press is writing about Apple does anyhow). The app development cost is part of the overall iOS and MacOs development efforts. Finally, they only focus on paid subscriptions.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know.