IGNORED

HQPlayer and Roon for newbie

nc42acc

I have a T&A DAC8 DSD with an Asus laptop running HQPlayer and Roon. I have it up sampling to DSD512 but I am getting some popping on playback. Sounds like a dirty LP playing. I have read many posts from searches on the forum so please do not blast me for asking I am sure a redundant question. I get the basics but as a newbie HQPlayer is overwhelming for me. All I need is a basic step by step setup overview from the experts for clean playback.

Here is my laptop config. Thanks in advance.

ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 17.3-inch Gaming Laptop (Intel i7 2.6GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX960M 2GB Graphic Card, Windows 10

I have a T&A DAC8 DSD with an Asus laptop running HQPlayer and Roon. I have it up sampling to DSD512 but I am getting some popping on playback. Sounds like a dirty LP playing. I have read many posts from searches on the forum so please do not blast me for asking I am sure a redundant question. I get the basics but as a newbie HQPlayer is overwhelming for me. All I need is a basic step by step setup overview from the experts for clean playback.

ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 17.3-inch Gaming Laptop (Intel i7 2.6GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX960M 2GB Graphic Card, Windows 10

You could try with following settings:

Pipeline SDM: enabled

CUDA offload: enabled

Auto rate family: enabled

Oversampling: poly-sinc-short-2s

Modulator: ASDM7

Max rate/limit: 24576000

In main window, set output mode to SDM, rate to "Auto", filter and modulator should come from the defaults and be the one listed above. If this works, you can try with other -2s filters (and closed-form) too.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for this thread. I am similarly situated and expect this will be quite helpful.

Running Roon Core on a SMG Sonic Transport, HQPlayer on ASUS laptop, to a Sonore microRendu>Lampizator L4G5 DAC.

Was not completely happy with the SQ running just Roon and it's player. Adding HQPlayer was a game changer. Initial setup seemed very straightforward and it worked fine a while. Then I started "losing" the connection and get a "Failure to find audio device message. Check settings." message but can't get HQPlayer to find microRendu again.

Using HQPlayer NAA and checking that device IP address is correct. Still no connection.

Will keep trying.

With these settings I do not get the up sampling to DSD512. Any other settings I should try?

I have my Samsung notebook NP550 - similar spe. like yours , you should not get DSD512 working , CPU is not powerful enough and at most you get DSD256 . You can run DSD512 with

stuttering . I have tried settings just recommended by Miska but no way can it play 512 smoothly.

Larry I listened to several PCM albums last night up sampled to DSD512 in all its glory. After fine tuning the settings, thanks to former member Mike (Blizzard) emailing me some settings to try. I still need to try a few other setting changes to see if I can get better sound quality.

Marty

I have my Samsung notebook NP550 - similar spe. like yours , you should not get DSD512 working , CPU is not powerful enough and at most you get DSD256 . You can run DSD512 with

stuttering . I have tried settings just recommended by Miska but no way can it play 512 smoothly.

Larry I listened to several PCM albums last night up sampled to DSD512 in all its glory. After fine tuning the settings, thanks to former member Mike (Blizzard) emailing me some settings to try. I still need to try a few other setting changes to see if I can get better sound quality.

Marty

Please share with us your settings if possible. I would like to try also!

Thanks for this thread. I am similarly situated and expect this will be quite helpful.

Running Roon Core on a SMG Sonic Transport, HQPlayer on ASUS laptop, to a Sonore microRendu>Lampizator L4G5 DAC.

Was not completely happy with the SQ running just Roon and it's player. Adding HQPlayer was a game changer. Initial setup seemed very straightforward and it worked fine a while. Then I started "losing" the connection and get a "Failure to find audio device message. Check settings." message but can't get HQPlayer to find microRendu again.

Using HQPlayer NAA and checking that device IP address is correct. Still no connection.

Will keep trying.

Do not know how or why, but my problem has cleared up. Magic?

Now I wish only to make best use, get best sound quality, from this wonderful stuff. [emoji106]

Do not know how or why, but my problem has cleared up. Magic?

Now I wish only to make best use, get best sound quality, from this wonderful stuff. [emoji106]

Nope, wasn't magic. Maybe this will help someone else:

I'd long ago taped off the power legs on both ends of my Supra USB cable since the Lampizator DAC had no need for the 5v. This worked fine with the Regen and it was working fine with the microRendu in Roon mode. However, when I made the change to HQP in NAA and Roon is when the problem started. It would take me a series of reboots and switching the DAC on/off and MAYBE I'd get HQP to see the DAC input (Amenaro).

I realized that this - the taped off power leg - may be causing a communication problem with the new configuration. Removed the tape, cleaned the connections and BINGO! That was it. Smooth running/sailing now. Absolutely no problems at all.

I've settled on HQP configs for PCM and DSD, so now it's just about sitting back, relaxing and listening to music.

Love the SQ I'm getting from this setup.

Can anyone say what is the MINIMUM hardware requirement for HQPlayer to upsampled DSD512 seamlessly? This is getting frustrating for an HQPlayer idiot.......

Judging what others have written, it sounds like an i7 6700K or another type of chip/setup with similar power - if you want "seamless" upsampling to 512 DSD.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Can anyone say what is the MINIMUM hardware requirement for HQPlayer to upsampled DSD512 seamlessly? This is getting frustrating for an HQPlayer idiot.......

I understand your frustration.

Take a look at this new kid on the block: Mivera Audio

(Superserve Hqplayer engine).

Would love to receive Miska's comments to this one.

At the price point indicated this one (w/switch) is a no brainer for me.