IGNORED

Best backup software for Mac external drives (not NAS)?

What is the best software to backup my music from one external drive to another(s)?

I was using Super Duper on my Mac Mini but need a new program for my Macbook Pro as it has USB 3.0 (as do the drives) allowing faster transfers than the Firewire 800 on the Mini.

Seems everyone is going to a NAS but I'm not ready for that yet (not being very computer knowledgeable among other reasons).

TIA

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I have two Mac Minis (2012 & 2011) — the 2011 is my music server. I use SuperDuper on both. On the 2011, I use a USB 3.0 external SSD, although it only runs as USB 2.0 because that Mini is only 2.0. On the 2012 (USB 3.0), I have two internal drives and an external drive. I SuperDuper to these partitioned drives on alternate days. The external is USB 3.0 — I use that as a ransomware-proof back-up. I am obsessive about Backups.

Not sure why you say "..need a new program for my Macbook Pro..."? My wife uses SuperDuper on her MBP. ???

I use Carbon Copy Cloner but I don't understand why Super Duper doesn't work with USB 3.0.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Not sure why you say "..need a new program for my Macbook Pro..."? My wife uses SuperDuper on her MBP. ???

I only have an old version of SuperDuper on my Mini. I have nothing on my Macbook Pro (running El Capitan) and I wan't to use the latter to do backups for the added speed of USB 3.0.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

I was not clear. The late 2010 Mini (which only has USB 2.0/Firewire 800) has an old version of SuperDuper on it; the 2015 Macbook Pro (with El Capitan & two USB 3.0 ports) has no backup software (other than Time Machine which I use for the system backup of my internal SSD). I'm going to get a new backup program for the laptop so that I can do speedier USB 3.0 backups of my external music drive(s) (3Tb of music on a 5Tb USB 3.0/Firewire 800 drive).

Sorry for the confusion.

I was not clear. The late 2010 Mini (which only has USB 2.0/Firewire 800) has an old version of SuperDuper on it; the 2015 Macbook Pro (with El Capitan & two USB 3.0 ports) has no backup software (other than Time Machine which I use for the system backup of my internal SSD). I'm going to get a new backup program for the laptop so that I can do speedier USB 3.0 backups of my external music drive(s) (3Tb of music on a 5Tb USB 3.0/Firewire 800 drive).

Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

You should be able to just download the latest version of SuperDuper to your Macbook Pro and activate it with the same serial number that you are using on your Mini.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Maybe I'm missing something here.

You should be able to just download the latest version of SuperDuper to your Macbook Pro and activate it with the same serial number that you are using on your Mini.

Huh. I didn't realize that. Thanks a lot.

What is the best software to backup my music from one external drive to another(s)?
I'm not sure what you really *need* but I use ChronoSync to keep my 2 separate macs music synced between separate external drives (via my 1gb network). It may take a while to get used to the interface, but I've used this software since 2008 and have never looked back. License is for lifetime free updates (if bought via their website) and support is quick and outstanding. If you are trying to backup over a network get the ChronoSync + ChronoAgent Bundle. ChronoSync Overview
I'm not sure what you really *need* but I use ChronoSync to keep my 2 separate macs music synced between separate external drives (via my 1gb network).

I've happily relied on Carbon Copy Cloner since the beginning of this decade and had not known about ChronoSync.

But looking at its website makes me think it would be a great addition to my Mac systems and network.

Dave, who has been using Mac computers for over three decades now and has always relied on select utilities to increase the flow and effectiveness

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've happily relied on Carbon Copy Cloner since the beginning of this decade and had not known about ChronoSync.

But looking at its website makes me think it would be a great addition to my Mac systems and network.

Dave, who has been using Mac computers for over three decades now and has always relied on select utilities to increase the flow and effectiveness

Chronosync's excellent.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was using Super Duper on my Mac Mini but need a new program for my Macbook Pro as it has USB 3.0 (as do the drives) allowing faster transfers than the Firewire 800 on the Mini.

Seems everyone is going to a NAS but I'm not ready for that yet (not being very computer knowledgeable among other reasons).

TIA

I would recommend Chronosync for this. It has excellent mount/unmounts management - I use it all the time with multiple backup volumes (I cycle through backup volumes, backing up the entire library once a week to two alternating volumes - works beautifully).

If you want to make bootable copies use Carbon Copy Cloner - it is a bit less friendly than SuperDuper (which works well - I used it for a while) but it is very robust and makes sure you have your recovery partition backed up as well (which in my recollection SuperDuper destroys).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 2 months later...