IGNORED

Apple Music - Billboard Interview with Iovine, Reznor, Cue, and Kondrk

Apple's Brain Trust -- Iovine, Reznor, Cue and Kondrk -- on Streaming's New World Order and Why 'We All Should Be' Worried | Billboard

Kind of interesting (and not that long), but I think these guys all might be out of their mind … and I think recording artists are probably permanently screwed.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

that article is fine from their 'concern' for the artists and their fair share of royalties etc

however it does not address the major flaw in BEATS MUSIC 1 and APPLE MUSIC- the shitty sound quality of their streaming services-why no cd quality streaming? like Qobuz and TIDAL? i used to refer to Iovine,Reznor and Dr Dre's BEATS MUSIC(after they destroyed MOG) as BM an apt acronym,eh? it is in it's new configuration(s) still a BM

that article is fine from their 'concern' for the artists and their fair share of royalties etc

however it does not address the major flaw in BEATS MUSIC 1 and APPLE MUSIC- the shitty sound quality of their streaming services-why no cd quality streaming? like Qobuz and TIDAL? i used to refer to Iovine,Reznor and Dr Dre's BEATS MUSIC(after they destroyed MOG) as BM an apt acronym,eh? it is in it's new configuration(s) still a BM

No it does not address any of that or even acknowledge how a high end audiophile might view those topics. After reading that article, particularly Reznor's comments, it would seem they are resigned to making the best of where things are in the industry. They seem to be acknowledging how the majority of people consume music and meet those needs. Lossless/quality seems to be out of scope.

Indeed, the path for the average artist seems to be challenged when it comes to getting a platform for their music in the traditional sense. As Reznor says, you can't monetize music and make a living selling physical things anymore. That is a really tough road for artists.

• 2 weeks later...

Whores working for Apple: Trump should hire them. Reznor in particular has no clue about the value of music. He likes vinyl because it is a physical record of music, finding no sonic improvement over 192kbps formats. Where does Apple breed these cretins?

I'm sorry, I'm being unfair to these people. But the proof is iTunes: Apple treats music like detergent.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Well first, you are starting from a false set of assumptions. Most of Apple Music sounds very good from a technical perspective. In fact, most people cannot distinguish it from Redbook quality. If you can, more power to you, but do not assume that the millions of subscribers out there can. Or indeed, that the compressed Tidal transmissions actually sound better to everyone. (Hint- they do not.)

But if you do not like Apple for other reasons, that is understandable. I intensely dislike Tidal based upon the lies, half truths, and exploitive agendas the principles espouse. "I am 53 million dollars in debt! Send money to me instead of starving people in other countries..." Yikes!

If you really believe your point about sound quality, organize a listening party and have your friends judge the quality of an Apple Stream against a Tidal stream of exactly the same music and release, and make it a blind test - at least in part.

It may take some digging to find identical music releases on both systems, but it is worth the trouble.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

A flaw to whom? The readers of this forum? And a few other like forums? So about one million people in the world, or maybe if we are stretching it - 3 million people?

I'd suggest that since about 1.5 million already subscribe to the "hi-fi" stream at Tidal for $20 a month (or additionally, to Qobuz streaming, or to one of the classical streaming services) that market is pretty much covered.

The rest of the world isn't aware that their music is "flawed" and probably wouldn't be willing to pay more for it in an "unflawed" format. It will take lots of educational work and years of effort to change anything in that area. A whole generation has grown up listening to mp3 through cheap headphones, with music for free. Convenience and low price beats out more expensive quality for most people.

Not easy to change that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)