IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

I have a question that is likely already asked and answered, but I'll shoot anyway.

I'm backing up my 11TBs of data from 3 internal drives to a bunch of 2TB external USB drives.

How much free space should I leave on each drive to be safe and not over stuff a drive?  I know leaving some space unused is desirable, but not sure how much.

9 minutes ago, hipstone said:

I have a question that is likely already asked and answered, but I'll shoot anyway.

I'm backing up my 11TBs of data from 3 internal drives to a bunch of 2TB external USB drives.

How much free space should I leave on each drive to be safe and not over stuff a drive?  I know leaving some space unused is desirable, but not sure how much.

Fill them to the brim. Any advice you've seen recommending some spare room relates to the performance of drives in active use. The reasons are not relevant to backup media.

There are no old, bold, drives.  x-D

Roughly figuring 1862GB per formatted drive.  20-50GB is a safer bet?  If you toss them in a safe for 5 years or spin them up twice a year might be a factor.  Hard drive life is hard to predict.

One argument for brimming them is data can be retrieved off a heavily damaged drive much less one that just sorta gave up.

I have a local backup on my NAS that gets backed up and versioned every day, that goes to an identical NAS offsite at my Brothers house. We share space on each others NAS.

The backup isn't my local library either, that's separate. The NAS we use is this model from ioSafe.

https://iosafe.com/products-1517-nas-overview

edit: never mind, I see I mentioned this already!  haha.

No electron left behind.

43 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a local backup on my NAS that gets backed up and versioned every day, that goes to an identical NAS offsite at my Brothers house. We share space on each others NAS.

The backup isn't my local library either, that's separate. The NAS we use is this model from ioSafe.

https://iosafe.com/products-1517-nas-overview

edit: never mind, I see I mentioned this already!  haha.

This writ large - backing up peer-to-peer to other individuals' locations, a sort of BitTorrent for backup - is something I'd love to see take over from paid backup. But to be practical it will have to wait for everyone to have 6G or whatever the ultrafast connectivity of the future might be, along with cheap enough storage that people have multiple terabytes to spare.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

This writ large - backing up peer-to-peer to other individuals' locations, a sort of BitTorrent for backup - is something I'd love to see take over from paid backup. But to be practical it will have to wait for everyone to have 6G or whatever the ultrafast connectivity of the future might be, along with cheap enough storage that people have multiple terabytes to spare.

Having Fiber connections make it easier, although once the initial backup is done, the only real big files going over to the other NAS are the new files, which are pretty quick.

Not trusting the cloud made the decision easier for both of us as well as having the funds to actually do it.

No electron left behind.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't use backup software to backup my music folders and files, I have batch files that I use to copy everything to two other computers across my network, as well as three different external drives, one of which I use on my Oppo player. The external drives are always offline (read off and unplugged) when not backing up and one is kept in a fire safe. 

I use Macrium Reflect to backup my primary drives, and I worry more about those than the secondary music drives (since I already have 6 copies). Macrium makes images, much like Norton Ghost did. If the primary dies (or if I want to put a newer/faster drive in), I plug in the rescue media, boot up, restore the image from the secondary drive, and restart the computer. 

I just couldn't justify the cost of a NAS. 

The two most popular backup programs for Mac are SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.  Both have been around for many years and are very reliable.

Smart Backup is free, but I haven’t tried it:

https://solesignal.com/smartbackup4/

Of course, the built-in rsync program is free, but I assume you don’t want to mess with geeky Terminal commands.  

(Carbon Copy Cloner and Smart Backup actually use rsync, so they can be thought of as user-friendly configuration interfaces for rsync.  I believe SuperDuper uses lower level system commands rather than rsync.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

23 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

The two most popular backup programs for Mac are SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.  Both have been around for many years and are very reliable.

Smart Backup is free, but I haven’t tried it:

https://solesignal.com/smartbackup4/

Of course, the built-in rsync program is free, but I assume you don’t want to mess with geeky Terminal commands.  

(Carbon Copy Cloner and Smart Backup actually use rsync, so they can be thought of as user-friendly configuration interfaces for rsync.  I believe SuperDuper uses lower level system commands rather than rsync.)

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and recommend it wholeheartedly. One of the advantages of programs like this is that they do a smart copy and only copy over the files that have changed or have been added, greatly reducing the time required for a backup.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I usually do incremental backups weekly (to three different HD's and save them in different places in the house).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

23 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and recommend it wholeheartedly. One of the advantages of programs like this is that they do a smart copy and only copy over the files that have changed or have been added, greatly reducing the time required for a backup.

Do you use Cloner instead of Time Machine? My iTunes files seem to be corrupted by time machine.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, cambridgehank said:

Do you use Cloner instead of Time Machine? My iTunes files seem to be corrupted by time machine.

I use both: TM to back up my system/work drive and CCC to clone external media drives on a weekly basis.

BTW, a full restore from TM can take a very long time so I also create clones of my system drive on a weekly basis as well.

Don't know anything about iTunes. I use JRiver instead.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

It just happened again to me, my main music HD just didn't read any more. Out of the blue. 

Luckily, this time I had a proper CCC backup and was back live two minutes later.

Just a friendly reminder, don't forget your backup strategy!

It may be cheating, but I have TWO drives in my server, each of them are identical and contain identical data. Only one is in use at any given time so if one fails, I can switch to the other one easily and continue listening to music until I get a replacement, then that becomes the #2 drive. Having a good and recent Roon backup helps too.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

It may be cheating, but I have TWO drives in my server, each of them are identical and contain identical data. Only one is in use at any given time so if one fails, I can switch to the other one easily and continue listening to music until I get a replacement, then that becomes the #2 drive. Having a good and recent Roon backup helps too.

That's a good idea, but I'd always want to have abackup drive that's not in my server -just in case there is some catastrophy with the server. Ideally off site, but if that isn't possible then in a fireproof safe or some similar place.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

That's a good idea, but I'd always want to have abackup drive that's not in my server -just in case there is some catastrophy with the server. Ideally off site, but if that isn't possible then in a fireproof safe or some similar place.

Oh boy do I...  Lets see I have the master here in my desktop, that syncs to the two drives in the server and to my NAS, which is both fire and waterproof. That backs up to an identical NAS at my brothers house. The most likely failure is a HDD, that I can recover from in seconds and be back to playing music. The other methods take consecutively more time. If I lose all backups, my music collection will be the least of my problems.

No electron left behind.