IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a fire and water proof NAS box.  That used to be all I did.  Now my Brother and I have identical boxes and share space on each others for our own off site backups.

Hi AudioDoctor,

What system/software do you use to do this synchronization?

40 minutes ago, Jud said:

Blockchain-based cryptocurrencies have been hacked (the most famous probably being the one that led to the Ethereum fork), but I would be interested to see what the incorporation of blockchain would do for storage security.

It actually seems to me better to rely on the expertise of folks who know more than I do in the network security sphere.

Jud all I back up are my audio and photo files not bank or other sensitive records.  Blockchain and its wallet structure has its limitations.  Take bitcoin for instance in early December bitcoin got hacked for $70million meaning cryptologic algorithm is not perfect which Blockchain uses as well.  Of course a public Blockchain is a lot more secure than a private one. But I see NO reason to store my "hobby files in a blockchain wallet.

The Truth Is Out There

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Jud Are you backing up more than music or just really worried about someone messing up your metadata?

:)

I used to just back up audio, but now that Backblaze requires me to back up my main local drive, there's other info too. 

Even if I was just backing up audio,  I can think of two reasons I would like my audio files to be secure: 

- It avoids having to think of explanations if the RIAA came to my door and asked why 2 million Chinese kids had my copy of an album. (Also may avoid some lost revenue for the artist.)

- A hacker might decide to either destroy my files, or have a worm or virus waiting the next time I decide to back up (which after all involves two way communication).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

How do they do that?

There were two check boxes for the backup, one for my external drive, one for my primary local drive. When I unchecked the latter, the backup software said it would not proceed if I didn't back up my primary local drive.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

There were two check boxes for the backup, one for my external drive, one for my primary local drive. When I unchecked the latter, the backup software said it would not proceed if I didn't back up my primary local drive.

No third-party client software?

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

No third-party client software?

There may well be, but I've been busy enough with other things I haven't bothered to look to see if there's something that would accord with my preferences. 

Edit: When I was looking at Backblaze, I did see several third party software options for another of their plans, but none for the inexpensive unlimited plan I'm on.  Doesn't mean I won't find any if I look further, of course.

12 hours ago, Dan Gravell said:

The "cloud" is still part of the Internet.

What is your understanding of the term "cloud"?

you seem to have missed the posts, or mis-read them, but you got cloud right

hacking into my local machine is decidedly more difficult than getting into cloud storage, and getting into some files on my machines is not possible w/o physical access

but you & jud can do whatever you want

58 minutes ago, Jud said:

:)

I used to just back up audio, but now that Backblaze requires me to back up my main local drive, there's other info too. 

Even if I was just backing up audio,  I can think of two reasons I would like my audio files to be secure: 

- It avoids having to think of explanations if the RIAA came to my door and asked why 2 million Chinese kids had my copy of an album. (Also may avoid some lost revenue for the artist.)

- A hacker might decide to either destroy my files, or have a worm or virus waiting the next time I decide to back up (which after all involves two way communication).

I was being a bit silly, I see your point.  I just try to avoid the cloud at all costs.

No electron left behind.

My understanding is I tell it where to back up, and it sends the stuff there over the net.  Its sort of like the cloud, but in my Brothers basement.

No shared directories, we each have our space on the others NAS.

I'm not smart enough to set this all up, I had to have a guy come do it.

No electron left behind.

My backup service allows me to choose multi-factor authentication with my plan (for an alternative plan, multi-factor authentication is required).  In the financial sector, both state and federal regulators are moving to require multi-factor authentication: https://www.csoonline.com/article/3259505/authentication/ny-dfs-nist-and-naic-align-on-multi-factor-authentication-in-financial-services.html

Clouds come and go...

You never know what can happen in the sky... Like we are sorry to inform you that all our passwords and files were deleted by a 13 years old hacker  :)

I will always favor physical backup for my music files and outside my house.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Clouds come and go...

You never know what can happen in the sky... Like we are sorry to inform you that all our passwords and files were deleted by a 13 years old hacker  :)

I will always favor physical backup for my music files and outside my house.

Cloud storage is still useful as one of several backups. It's highly unlikely that Amazon, Google, and your safe deposit box will get hacked at the same time.

Clouds are like a rent you pay to store something somewhere that doesn't exist in reality :)

Remember: Mafiaboy, the teen who brought down Yahoo, eBay and CNN

that can happen in a flash anyday, anywhere now.

Yes music files are not that important but it is an hassle to get it back if you lose it.

I play with music everyday, download, edit, save in A+ and JRiver library, convert all to mp3 also for my iPhone

but i don't backup everyday... my hard disc is at my father house and i bring it back home every 2 months maybe...

yes i can lose 100 albums in that time over 2900 already backup... but fire or robbery or hard disc crash doesn't happen much.

Clouds are not in your hands or can be feel really (sorry french speaking).

But yes as a second backup or third if you have money to give there, why not :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

On 27/02/2018 at 12:42 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

The cloud is someone else’s computer, not mine :~)

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but that's not necessarily true. It really comes down to your definition of cloud. If your computer is part of some decentralised computation or storage service, that may be defined as "cloud" because really (or at least, originally) cloud is just computing as a utility - it is not tied to any particular architecture.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2017 at 12:21 PM, Musicophile said:

That's a good point. I'll probably spend the 20 bucks upgrade fee. 

I just got an update notification saying that extensive APFS Snapshot support has been added to CCC 5 as part of the latest 5.1.1 update, which is pretty freaking awesome. If anyone hasn't upgraded yet, now might be the perfect time. 

• Added support for creating a snapshot on an APFS-formatted source at the beginning of the backup task. This snapshot is then mounted and used as the source for copying files. By using a read-only volume as the source, we avoid rare, but potential conflicts that can occur during the backup task if files are modified while being copied.

• New

CCC's SafetyNet feature is now built on top of APFS snapshots when the destination is an APFS volume and snapshot support is enabled for that volume.

• New

CCC will create a snapshot on APFS destination volumes at the end of a backup task to establish a point-in-time restore point.

• New

CCC offers a highly-tunable snapshot retention policy that allows you to define how long snapshots will be retained (hourly, daily, weekly), and also allows you to define a minimum amount of free space to retain on the volume.

• New

CCC's Disk Center offers detailed insight into the snapshots that CCC and Time Machine have created on your APFS volumes. Quickly see how much space those snapshots are consuming, and delete one or many snapshots with the press of a button.

I backup my NAS to CrashPlan Small Business. Very happy with it (though my upload speeds are pretty shabby).

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

• 2 months later...

What backup schemes do you use?  Full backup + N incremental then full backup plus N incremental then repeat?  Delete entire backup and rewrite periodically?   Sync drives with a push to backup overwrite type strategy?

I am looking for new ideas for backup of my growing data (MC SACD, DVD-A, CD, Music video, needle drops, digitized analog tape, etc.) which has too much ripping/digitizing and tagging time invested to lose:

1. big drives in server w/Acronis backup software to bigger external drives

- A full backup with incremental works well until it's time to do another full backup.  Multiple copies takes up too much space so I have to delete and start over.  Ideally I would have 2 full plus incremental.

2. Big drives in server with backup to much bigger NAS or NAS with backup to much bigger NAS

3. Big drives in server (or NAS) with push strategy to multiple copies.  I have seen this successfully used for 3 copies but it doesn't have a N-1 copy.

I currently have a 3 copy off site which gets dated if I don't update.   I have thought of using cloud for the third copy off site.

• 10 months later...

I've been dreaming up a backup solution, and wonder if anyone would find it useful / affordable / worth it. I think I've worked the features and costs out like so:

• The tool indexes your music library.
  • It tracks changes (file moved or renamed) in a local index that is backed up to the web.
  • It tracks deletes by setting a flag in the index. Removing from cloud backup storage requires a manual step to reach out and actually delete the file. This would address accidentally deleting a file / folder.
  • It tracks additions by re-indexing each night, and incrementally uploading the changes.
  • It can be throttled for performance and bandwidth usage.

Certainly open to input on features.

Still with me?

• Restoring
    • Can be done by download. This will be SLOW.
    • Can be done by requesting an HDD

Pricing

Storage: Google Drive does 10TB / mo for $99 / mo. I think I could work things out to be $5 / TB / Month.

Restore: This would probably cost $30 / TB for the download option and $30 / TB + $300 to put the data on a drive and ship it.

Think of this like a safety deposit box for your audio library with some built-in automation.

Please ping me if you're interested to learn more.

And please let me know if this is too commercial for me to post. Glad to move the post if it's not appropriate here.

Listening Room: Musica Pristina A Cappella III (R&D model) Streamer > i2s (HDMI LVDS) > Musica Pristina Virtuoso DAC > Quad II Eighty Amps > Quad ESL 2905 Speakers > Very Happy Ears
DIY Owens Corning Room Treatment
ManufacturerMusica Pristina