IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

To steal your identity through personal documents stored on it or more likely to sell it for a few bucks. I had my car broken into this summer for a lightning cable. Desperate people do desperate things.
I think it was probably someone on this forum that knew it was your car.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I store all my music on my NAS (Freenas), on which I have installed Crashplan. I have a family license (10 computers), so the NAS and all the family computers are backed-up all the time. Every computer has a backup in both the cloud and on the NAS. The NAS is backuped in the cloud for the data part (no backup of the backups ;-) )

The initial upload of the NAS to the cloud took 3 weeks (was away for 2 weeks).

Now I just check my weekly email from freenas to see if everything has been backup recently.

Sounds like a good way to go.

My partner has just set up an office in a university in Helsinki. Her upload speed measured at 97mb/s.

I plan to hook up my 4tb drive to her computer there. Be calculator suggested it would take just shy of five days. (Won't run it a full upload speed... not sure the uni would be too happy if I brought their speeds down to dial-up...)

As i have to travel for work, I will do it while I'm away. Fingers crossed... [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Hi,

I store all my music on my NAS (Freenas), on which I have installed Crashplan. I have a family license (10 computers), so the NAS and all the family computers are backed-up all the time. Every computer has a backup in both the cloud and on the NAS. The NAS is backuped in the cloud for the data part (no backup of the backups ;-) )

The initial upload of the NAS to the cloud took 3 weeks (was away for 2 weeks).

Now I just check my weekly email from freenas to see if everything has been backup recently.

Hi Gregory - I use Amazon Cloud Drive for unlimited storage space at $60 per year. I really wish FreeNAS had a plugin for this. I'd love to use FreeNAS, but without automatic backup to Amazon, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I checked out Crashplan. It's fairly inexpensive. But, I noticed Crashplan is causing issues with FreeNAS and the company is saying people won't be allowed to backup to its cloud from FreeNAS.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Gregory - I use Amazon Cloud Drive for unlimited storage space at $60 per year. I really wish FreeNAS had a plugin for this. I'd love to use FreeNAS, but without automatic backup to Amazon, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I choose FreeNAS for the ZFS filesystem, but that's another debate. A backup to Amazon cloud would be great, I agree. A new version of Freenas (version 10) is expected soon, betas are out already, and should bring new extensions with Docker. Maybe then new backups solution will be available.

I checked out Crashplan. It's fairly inexpensive. But, I noticed Crashplan is causing issues with FreeNAS and the company is saying people won't be allowed to backup to its cloud from FreeNAS.

It's a pain in the neck to install on Freenas: the native plugin is not maintained so you have to install a virtual machine to run a Linux that run Crashplan...

But my initial choice for Crashplan was to have a simple solution to backup my parent's and sibling's computer. The 10 license family is $160/yr I think. Once installed it runs smoothly on Windows/Mac/Linux. Then I dealt with the hard setup for Freenas :-)

I plan to hook up my 4tb drive to her computer there. Be calculator suggested it would take just shy of five days. (Won't run it a full upload speed... not sure the uni would be too happy if I brought their speeds down to dial-up...)

It sounds like a good plan. Stay under the radar by running late night and weekends only. :)

I choose FreeNAS for the ZFS filesystem, but that's another debate. A backup to Amazon cloud would be great, I agree. A new version of Freenas (version 10) is expected soon, betas are out already, and should bring new extensions with Docker. Maybe then new backups solution will be available.

It's a pain in the neck to install on Freenas: the native plugin is not maintained so you have to install a virtual machine to run a Linux that run Crashplan...

But my initial choice for Crashplan was to have a simple solution to backup my parent's and sibling's computer. The 10 license family is $160/yr I think. Once installed it runs smoothly on Windows/Mac/Linux. Then I dealt with the hard setup for Freenas :-)

Thanks for the follow up.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

I created a Freenas jail (called 'util'), mounted my music files in the jail, and run a nightly script in cron to upload any changes to my ripped files to Amazon Drive. I use rclone, there is a freebsd port so it all runs very smoothly (and automatically).

I am speaking at the zfs user conference 2017 11 AM March 16th on large scale home lab backups. Amazon Cloud Drive backups will definitely be one of the techniques I cover.

I created a Freenas jail (called 'util'), mounted my music files in the jail, and run a nightly script in cron to upload any changes to my ripped files to Amazon Drive. I use rclone, there is a freebsd port so it all runs very smoothly (and automatically).

Does Amazon Drive has files history?

I am speaking at the zfs user conference 2017 11 AM March 16th on large scale home lab backups. Amazon Cloud Drive backups will definitely be one of the techniques I cover.

Very nice - I don't have a Freenas server (at least not yet), but on behalf of others who do, this really seems like a very simple no-fuss solution.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Does Amazon Drive has files history?

Amazon Drive (formerly known as Amazon Cloud Drive) does *NOT* have history as part of its service. I rely on my primary ZFS raidz2 + snapshot system + my backup ZFS raidz2 + snapshots to provide a rolling, 30 day available snapshot history. rclone provides a scrip-table way to upload the current version of my music + files offsite to Amazon's backup system. Rclone also supports other cloud drive providers, including Google, Backblaze, Microsoft, Dropbox, etc. Alternative providers probably will cost much more than $60/year (which is what Amazon charges).

• 6 months later...

Just noticed that I hadn't refreshed my off-site backup (stored at the office) for 3 month now, and figured I put a reminder out for everybody else again.

CCC is currently active. 

By the way, CCC was just upgraded to v5. I just wonder if there's a real added value in the upgrade. Is anybody getting it?

ChronoSync vs. CarbonCopyCloner (for Mac)

FWIW, 2 years ago I switched from CCC to ChronoSync for at least 3 reasons:

1.  In CCC, if the daily scheduled backup fails or is interrupted for any reason other than a missing volume, CCC will not try again to finish the backup until the scheduled time the following day.  ChronoSync will keep trying at whatever interval and number of attempts you specify in the schedule.

2.  In CCC, after you save a scheduled task, you cannot even view, much less edit, parameters of the backup task such as files included/excluded and automatic pruning of archives.  ChronoSync can.

3.  CCC organizes the archive folder a subfolder for each backup date, and then lower level folders mimicking the source volume directory structure.  If you want to restore selected files or folders, having dates at the top of the hierarchy makes it extremely difficult to find all versions of the desired files or folders.

ChronoSync’s archive folder duplicates the folder structure of the source volume without any "date" folders.  Multiple versions of the same file are appended with a 3-digit version number.  When older versions are pruned, version numbers continue incrementing.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Item 3, first paragraph, stated more clearly:

3. In CCC's archive folder, the top level of the hierarchy is a folder for each backup date.  Within each dated folder are lower level folders mimicking the source volume directory structure. If you want to restore selected files or folders, having dates at the top of the hierarchy makes it extremely difficult to find all versions of the desired files or folders because they will be scattered among many top-level dated folders.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

13 hours ago, Musicophile said:

By the way, CCC was just upgraded to v5. I just wonder if there's a real added value in the upgrade. Is anybody getting it?

I'll definitely get it. The upgrade price is a joke compared to audiophile products and the developer provides tremendous value. I'll be glad to support further development of the software. Also, even though there's some support for APFS in CCC 4, only CCC 5 will be able to make a bootable backup to an APFS-formatted volume which I may want to do at some point.

1 hour ago, Bystander said:

I'll definitely get it. The upgrade price is a joke compared to audiophile products and the developer provides tremendous value. I'll be glad to support further development of the software. Also, even though there's some support for APFS in CCC 4, only CCC 5 will be able to make a bootable backup to an APFS-formatted volume which I may want to do at some point.

That's a good point. I'll probably spend the 20 bucks upgrade fee. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

What files do i need to store in Amazon Cloud, other than the music media files.  I have way to many playlist, is there a file that would reproduce the playlist from Amazon Cloud? I looked at Amazon Cloud purchase page, is there a way to estimate how much space I would need for my library?  Looks like a great resource.

5 minutes ago, cambridgehank said:

What files do i need to store in Amazon Cloud, other than the music media files.  I have way to many playlist, is there a file that would reproduce the playlist from Amazon Cloud? I looked at Amazon Cloud purchase page, is there a way to estimate how much space I would need for my library?  Looks like a great resource.

Unfortunately Amazon changed its prices drastically. To backup all my music was going to cost me several hundred dollars per month. I stopped using it. 

What playback app are you using for playlists?

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Unfortunately Amazon changed its prices drastically. To backup all my music was going to cost me several hundred dollars per month. I stopped using it. 

What playback app are you using for playlists?

i am using iTunes.  I just purchased more space from Amazon, for $12, but the app will not let me upload music only photos?

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 2.55.41 PM.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm getting mighty close to the 1TB barrier.  What if anything are you doing instead?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.