IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

Saturating your upload bandwidth can adversely affect downloads (Google "buffer bloat" for details). Limiting upload speed to around 80% of max rate avoids this. The extent of this effect depends more on your ISP than the service you're connecting to.

I tried three backup services. Two adversely affected my Internet connectivity (as in, brought it to a screeching halt until/unless I stopped the backup). Backing up to Cloud Drive has never had the slightest effect on Internet connectivity in over a year of pretty frequent backups (initial upload over 650GB, then ~300GB more in frequent smaller chunks), whether it is something Amazon does, something my ISP or home network hardware/software does in response to Amazon's servers.... This (no home network problem when uploading backups to Amazon) has persisted through a change in routers, a change in cable modem, and changes in ISP service plan.

So for some reason the communication between my home network and the two other backup services apparently doesn't result in any upload speed throttling, while I am supposing the communication to Amazon must.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I want to try the finest cloud storage but couldn't figure out which one to choose. I desperately need to back-up my important files in case my computer is broken or lost. I just opted for usb for now. Hopefully, I will be able to back-up my social media accounts too.

Indeed, it's only when I crank my upload speed up to max that my download/surfing speed suffers. Backblaze allows you to adjust speed. They claim upload speed is ONLY limited by your own home speeds. (Our ISP can do high speeds, but this apartment must have really bad wiring that limits speeds).

Great if Amazon and other clouds have some way of allowing max uploads without cropping downloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Indeed, it's only when I crank my upload speed up to max that my download/surfing speed suffers. Backblaze allows you to adjust speed. They claim upload speed is ONLY limited by your own home speeds. (Our ISP can do high speeds, but this apartment must have really bad wiring that limits speeds).

Great if Amazon and other clouds have some way of allowing max uploads without cropping downloads.

It's possible that Amazon client or server software adjusts the rate to keep latency reasonable.

It's possible that Amazon client or server software adjusts the rate to keep latency reasonable.

I've used at least 3 different client software products, so it could be the server or something all client software must contain.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It's 20Mbps.

I may be able to limit the traffic to say 15Mbps to allow enough bandwidth on the pipe for existing traffic.

Amazon S3 has an initial seed via HDD mail in, but too expensive for this amount of data.

Hmm, let me explore it. Thanks!

I thought Amazon charges something like $80 for a HDD upload?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I rip my CDs (or download them) while seated at my iMac. I add them to my local iTunes library. That file is then synced daily with my Aurender, my NAS, which has a versioned backup, and my Mac Mini. This takes place over my network. I have no offsite backups, but my NAS is fire and waterproof.

iTunes has become nothing more than a database manager for me, all my playback is done via A+ these days.

Your NAS is surely not thieve-proof. I am looking at off-site backup.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

You can backup and bring it to work. It can be that simple.

It can be, but very rarely is. I would submit that most people fall off the wagon with these manual schemes. I know I do, and I consider myself very organized.

No, over the years, after going around the backup block many, many times, the only thing that works reliably is a fully automated backup that you set and forget - BUT, with notifications of success and failure that you monitor. Bonus points for testing integrity and restores periodically.

@miguelito - I am a big advocate of off-site backups to a device (NAS) and location (friend, office) you can access. If you're super paranoid, do that AND backup to a cloud too.

For me, the constraint is upload speeds, even for the incremental backups. I'm at 20Mbps upload. That limits my backup rate to about 80GB/day. Luckily my daily growth on my NAS is nowhere near that, but some days, if I've bought and ripped a handful of SACDs, I can tie up my uplink for many hours.

It can be, but very rarely is. I would submit that most people fall off the wagon with these manual schemes. I know I do, and I consider myself very organized.

Completely agree.

I rip/tag/organize my music library in my home office computer - a mac pro tower with 18tb of total space. This is on TimeMachine.

I replicate the music directory to my music mini where Roon core runs (over the network). My mini is not permanently mounted, Chronosync mounts it on replication and unmounts it when done. This might be a barrier to crypto ransomware.

I cycle through two offline drives I back up to using Chronosync every week. These plug into a "toaster" device so as not to be connected all the time. This cycling should in principle allow me to fend off crypto ransoms (unless the malware had been sitting idle for a long time I suppose). It is, however, a little bit of a manual process.

For off-site, I will try Amazon Cloud with GoodSync. I estimate it would take me a month to upload it all (I too have 20mbps up).

Having said all this, one is almost always subject to a possible issue (like the dormant crypto ransom). I think having one more offline backup that I manually update every couple of months might be a good idea.

So that in total would be 7 copies of my files (all, not just music). Crazy?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Why on earth would someone break into my house to steal my NAS?

Your TV, computer, watch, printer, and NAS

system pics

would they know i even have a nas? It is in the same room as my home hvac equipment, bolted to the concrete floor...

I also think you're over estimating the amount of crime.

ymmv

system pics

Would they know I even have a NAS? It is in the same room as my home HVAC equipment, bolted to the concrete floor...

I also think you're over estimating the amount of crime.

I'd be concerned (as well, or instead) about the usual home disasters such as fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

To steal your identity through personal documents stored on it or more likely to sell it for a few bucks. I had my car broken into this summer for a lightning cable. Desperate people do desperate things.

They needed the cable for their stolen iPhone. They wouldn't even know I have it unless they were checking out my water heater as well, and then they would need to spend who knows how much time unbolting it, if they had the right tools.

No electron left behind.

Hope I live long enough for my annual payment for Amazon Cloud Drive to exceed the purchase price of two grand. :)

<- has never once had a home break in during my entire 41 years on this planet.

I did at a house I rented in Canada while working on a litigation there. They took my TV, stereo - and the snow shovel.

I'd be concerned (as well, or instead) about the usual home disasters such as fire.

Especially if the thing is bolted to the floor near the HVAC! :)

system pics