IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

• 2 weeks later...

I backup to a pair of USB drives (each runs once a week, on a different day). And I'm in the process of uploading the entirety of the data on my NAS to an online backup service (initial upload is taking forever as my upload speed sucks, but I feel safer!).

@AudioDoctor - I had a Porsche, it was destroyed (flooded over hood level) during Hurricane Sandy... :(

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

• 2 weeks later...

Mac House here. All Mac's are backed-up daily with Time Machine to a QNAP NAS configured for RAID One. My Mac Mini music server also has a USB external hard drive connected for a 2nd daily BU. Plus, I have a music only BU hard drive stored in 1.5 hour fire rated Safe, which is updated every few months.

• 3 months later...

I originally had a Lacie porsche design 1TB then added a WD passport ultra 2TB and now have 2TB Apple Time Capsule with 2TB HDD. The added advantage with the TC is I am now wireless the Mac no longer is connected to my router and I have extended range for the ATV in my family room with signal strength 5/5 and no longer wait 1/2hr to download a trailer or have my iTunes library buffer/spit/pout. MY Qobuz/TIDAL desktops or AMARRA for TIDAL and ROON and Audirvana 2+ all sound perfect no change in SQ no dropouts still gapless etc. All this in a 1906 house with beams/corners/horsehair plaster and a 1994 new construction family from >100 feet from the TC.

I have 7 Windows 10 machines, a couple of laptops and a pad or two. Each Windows machine has it's OS and programs installed on a 120GB SSD. Every time there is a significant change to the OS I clone each machines SSD to a duplicate SSD. This protects the operating systems, programs and data. I use Acronis True Image 2017 to clone the drives. I have in the past just created images but found that method to be unreliable whereas cloning has never failed me.

One machine has a RAID array and it stores copies of my primary listening library. This is a collection of about 8000 FLAC files plus some additional multi-channel WAVE files. This machine runs, among other things, Twonky media server providing streaming services. This library gets copied when changes occur to a WD MyCloud network drive and then is cloned to a WD Red offsite safety drive.

My methods include managing every musical piece as both WAVE and uncompressed FLAC files which does create some redundancy, and additional work and security. The WAVE files are located on a spinning drive on my primary work machine and is also cloned to another drive whenever changes occur in the WAVE library.

This practice has evolved over years of use which includes learning by loosing, trial by fire. Eventually it becomes apparent just how fragile things are and how easily we can loose everything digital. Most people understand loosing their mail, or pictures or whatever but music can represent a huge loss of effort, and maybe value also.

Doesn't matter how this all gets done just that it DOES get done.

Worst case is a fire or a burglary. Since I have ripped about 35TB in real time over about 6 years and have another 5 TB of downloads and CD rips, I have three full copies of everything, including a set in the bank. A trusted neighbor works well also.

Larry

40TB...you da MAN! I thought my 10tb of music was impressive!

I have a Porsche and a Sailboat for my sanity at the moment...

I have a mansion and a yacht...;)

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

I have an old Jeep and a 29er. Whatever floats your.... yacht

LOL - I actually don't have a mansion and a yacht - that's an SNL reference

I do have a kayak and a 29er

on topic- I did not back up my last drive aaaaand it crashed :(

taking with it a few hundred $ worth of music purchased from HDTracks who BOOOO won't let me re-download what I purchased from them.

In contrast to eclassical.com who keeps records and lets you re download anytime.

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

LOL - I actually don't have a mansion and a yacht - that's an SNL reference

I do have a kayak and a 29er

on topic- I did not back up my last drive aaaaand it crashed :(

taking with it a few hundred $ worth of music purchased from HDTracks who BOOOO won't let me re-download what I purchased from them.

In contrast to eclassical.com who keeps records and lets you re download anytime.

Sorry to hear that.

Seriously, HDtracks doesn't let you re-download? That is just totally user-unfriendly. I've bought very little there, but basically will now stop completely.

Sorry to hear that.

Seriously, HDtracks doesn't let you re-download? That is just totally user-unfriendly. I've bought very little there, but basically will now stop completely.

If you ask nicely, they will probably let you re-download. It's a bit silly of them to restrict it at all, of course. I only buy from them when there's a discount on. Otherwise Qobuz tends to be cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...
If you ask nicely, they will probably let you re-download. It's a bit silly of them to restrict it at all, of course. I only buy from them when there's a discount on. Otherwise Qobuz tends to be cheaper.

Agree completely. (In my case it was Pono who was the alternative, but now that's not available.) It's so silly, and so typical of a sort of paranoid "I must be vigilant that my customers aren't dishonest pirates" mindset, that I wonder whether it's a condition the industry attempts to impose on resellers that others have successfully resisted and HDTracks did not.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I just wanted to take this as an occasion to remind everybody about the importance of backups.

Very important topic, and I think Chris should have a full section on this.

I am very proactive about backups, have two offline backups I loop over (once a week each) and realtime time machine backup.

However, there are a few missed bits in my backup routine that I don't do as consistently and I am asking people their opinions/strategies. Specifically:

1- I have no offsite backup - a fire in my apartment could destroy most of my files. How do people manage offsite backups, especially when we get to multi-terabite sizes?

2- TIDAL favorite albums: I have thousands of these. How can I backup those lists of albums?

3- Roon library: I know how to back this up but it's not the slickest thing in the world. What's a good method to keep a backup? I don't think the Roon core makes a backup or has a feature to save a backup someplace. As I said, I know to go to ~/Library... but that's just a crappy method.

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

How do you maintain backing up every night.

On mac, Chronosync allows you to create jobs to back up automatically.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

How do you maintain backing up every night.

Whenever I download or rip music, it goes first to the external HDD next to the main system downstairs, then from there to three other places:

- An SD card, which serves as both backup and a means to easily bring my music collection with me wherever I go.

- An external HDD next to the desktop system upstairs.

- Amazon Cloud Drive, unlimited storage for $60/year.

This only takes a few minutes and other than the transfer to SD card, which is just drag and drop, is pretty well automated with ChronoSync (one HDD to the other) and GoodSync (HDD to Amazon).

I had been using ExpanDrive to sync with Amazon, but it stopped working for a period so I moved to GoodSync and haven't tried ExpanDrive lately to see if it works again. Also, ChronoSync will soon have the ability to sync with Amazon Cloud Drive (it already does with S3).

Others can provide you with various tools to do these backups for free. I just happen to like the interfaces of these pieces of software, and the fact that they utilize warnings to keep me from doing especially stupid things like unintentionally wiping out backups.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Whenever I download or rip music, it goes first to the external HDD next to the main system downstairs, then from there to three other places:

- An SD card, which serves as both backup and a means to easily bring my music collection with me wherever I go.

- An external HDD next to the desktop system upstairs.

- Amazon Cloud Drive, unlimited storage for $60/year.

This only takes a few minutes and other than the transfer to SD card, which is just drag and drop, is pretty well automated with ChronoSync (one HDD to the other) and GoodSync (HDD to Amazon).

I had been using ExpanDrive to sync with Amazon, but it stopped working for a period so I moved to GoodSync and haven't tried ExpanDrive lately to see if it works again. Also, ChronoSync will soon have the ability to sync with Amazon Cloud Drive (it already does with S3).

Others can provide you with various tools to do these backups for free. I just happen to like the interfaces of these pieces of software, and the fact that they utilize warnings to keep me from doing especially stupid things like unintentionally wiping out backups.

Hey Jud,

So I gather you would recommend Amazon Cloud Drive?

I am a regular user of Chronosync, absolutely indispensable in my backup process - I use it to both transfer files to my music mini and backup to my offline drives. If they incorporate Amazon Cloud soon then it would be fantastic. Highly recommended app.

system pics

Hey Jud,

So I gather you would recommend Amazon Cloud Drive?

I am a regular user of Chronosync, absolutely indispensable in my backup process - I use it to both transfer files to my music mini and backup to my offline drives. If they incorporate Amazon Cloud soon then it would be fantastic. Highly recommended app.

Yes, I'd recommend it pretty well unreservedly.

Depending on the size of your collection, initial upload could take quite a while. What's your ISP nominal upload speed?

I think ChronoSync is terrific as well, but I'm also really liking GoodSync. Recently they changed their UI for the better IMO by showing only what's changing for incremental backups, so after the initial upload you just see the tracks/albums you're adding rather than having to wade through the whole shebang.

Yes, I'd recommend it pretty well unreservedly.

Depending on the size of your collection, initial upload could take quite a while. What's your ISP nominal upload speed?

I think ChronoSync is terrific as well, but I'm also really liking GoodSync. Recently they changed their UI for the better IMO by showing only what's changing for incremental backups, so after the initial upload you just see the tracks/albums you're adding rather than having to wade through the whole shebang.

I have 300 down/20 up. So I guess it would be about 6 days upload time per tb. Padding that a bit I'd say it will take about a month. This is ok, once the current bulk is up it will be much easier.

Does GoodSync work as Dropbox does? Or do you have to set up a backup schedule?

system pics