IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Oh boy do I...  Lets see I have the master here in my desktop, that syncs to the two drives in the server and to my NAS, which is both fire and waterproof. That backs up to an identical NAS at my brothers house. The most likely failure is a HDD, that I can recover from in seconds and be back to playing music. The other methods take consecutively more time. If I lose all backups, my music collection will be the least of my problems.

Okay, you got me.

I don't have a nearby bank, but if I did I'd keep a copy in a safe deposit box and switch it with an updated copy once every two weeks or a month.

I'm hoping one of these days cloud based storage is cheap enough that I can put a copy in the cloud. All the relatively reasonable alternatives I've found seem to be quite expensive.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Okay, you got me.

I don't have a nearby bank, but if I did I'd keep a copy in a safe deposit box and switch it with an updated copy once every two weeks or a month.

I'm hoping one of these days cloud based storage is cheap enough that I can put a copy in the cloud. All the relatively reasonable alternatives I've found seem to be quite expensive.

The issue for me with cloud storage is not cost but the time to get my close to 4TB up- and downloaded.  That’s several weeks here at my current average internet speed.

Sounds like my place will finally get an optical fiber connection at some point in 2021. Then we’re talking. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ran out of space on the LVM volume group I use for backups.

Turns out you can get storage much cheaper if you "shuck" the drive - i.e. take an external hard drive enclosure and remove the internal hard drive.

Here are my findings, plus an addition after I realised it wasn't quite so technical simple - physical hack required!

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

• 5 months later...

For myself I have 5 G-Technology 2TB Portable SSDs.  One houses my library from which I play music via Roon or iTunes/Music.  The other four are a Time Machine backup of my library and MacBook which I do weekly. Then I use Carbon Copy Cloner for three other backups.  The first is a backup of my MacBook, the second a back up to my Music Library and the third is a segmented drive for both the MacBook and the Music Library.  I do these monthly unless I have has any OS update or added a lot of titles to my Music Library then I will do them more frequently.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a QNAP NAS, which I have time machine backing up my MacBook Pro and my iMac.  Recently the time machine preferences in the menu bar on both Macs shows the latest backup as a year ago.  The NAS show the current date for the back.  I called Apple support to see why the date was not changing for the latest backup.  Support told me that Time Machine is not supported for wireless backups and she could not help me.  She also told me that NAS wireless is vulnerable to spy ware.  So I am back to wired external hard drives for my backup support.  Has any one heard that TM does not work over wireless networks?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I do a weekly backup because I add music almost always on a weekly basis.  That is to my primary backup.  I have two secondary backups that I do on a monthly basis or sooner if I have added a lot of files in a short period of time...

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa