IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I store all my music on my NAS (Freenas), on which I have installed Crashplan. I have a family license (10 computers), so the NAS and all the family computers are backed-up all the time. Every computer has a backup in both the cloud and on the NAS. The NAS is backuped in the cloud for the data part (no backup of the backups ;-) )

The initial upload of the NAS to the cloud took 3 weeks (was away for 2 weeks).

Now I just check my weekly email from freenas to see if everything has been backup recently.

Hi Gregory - I use Amazon Cloud Drive for unlimited storage space at $60 per year. I really wish FreeNAS had a plugin for this. I'd love to use FreeNAS, but without automatic backup to Amazon, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I checked out Crashplan. It's fairly inexpensive. But, I noticed Crashplan is causing issues with FreeNAS and the company is saying people won't be allowed to backup to its cloud from FreeNAS.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I choose FreeNAS for the ZFS filesystem, but that's another debate. A backup to Amazon cloud would be great, I agree. A new version of Freenas (version 10) is expected soon, betas are out already, and should bring new extensions with Docker. Maybe then new backups solution will be available.

It's a pain in the neck to install on Freenas: the native plugin is not maintained so you have to install a virtual machine to run a Linux that run Crashplan...

But my initial choice for Crashplan was to have a simple solution to backup my parent's and sibling's computer. The 10 license family is $160/yr I think. Once installed it runs smoothly on Windows/Mac/Linux. Then I dealt with the hard setup for Freenas :-)

Thanks for the follow up.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, cambridgehank said:

What files do i need to store in Amazon Cloud, other than the music media files.  I have way to many playlist, is there a file that would reproduce the playlist from Amazon Cloud? I looked at Amazon Cloud purchase page, is there a way to estimate how much space I would need for my library?  Looks like a great resource.

Unfortunately Amazon changed its prices drastically. To backup all my music was going to cost me several hundred dollars per month. I stopped using it. 

What playback app are you using for playlists?

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Only ~500GB? I am at 2TB currently. I have several backups of my music on various HD's (most are plugged in only to back up once a week - it is a pain but it saves them). I also take each artist and RAR them up to put on another HD.

I think Amazon is worried about bootleg copies and/or illegal copies and do not want to be responsible for that.

I won’t store my 12TB on Amazon because the cost is too much. 

• 3 weeks later...