IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

I have copies of my music on an upstairs HDD, a downstairs HDD, a series of 128GB SD cards (which works beautifully for tunes while traveling) and Amazon's unlimited Cloud storage.

No need for timed backups; when I download or rip music, a copy goes to each of these immediately.

The point of vulnerability is that I have only ripped about 10% of my CDs. (I've done no needle drops and am not sure if I will, though I'd much regret losing irreplaceable music.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 6 months later...
If you ask nicely, they will probably let you re-download. It's a bit silly of them to restrict it at all, of course. I only buy from them when there's a discount on. Otherwise Qobuz tends to be cheaper.

Agree completely. (In my case it was Pono who was the alternative, but now that's not available.) It's so silly, and so typical of a sort of paranoid "I must be vigilant that my customers aren't dishonest pirates" mindset, that I wonder whether it's a condition the industry attempts to impose on resellers that others have successfully resisted and HDTracks did not.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

How do you maintain backing up every night.

Whenever I download or rip music, it goes first to the external HDD next to the main system downstairs, then from there to three other places:

- An SD card, which serves as both backup and a means to easily bring my music collection with me wherever I go.

- An external HDD next to the desktop system upstairs.

- Amazon Cloud Drive, unlimited storage for $60/year.

This only takes a few minutes and other than the transfer to SD card, which is just drag and drop, is pretty well automated with ChronoSync (one HDD to the other) and GoodSync (HDD to Amazon).

I had been using ExpanDrive to sync with Amazon, but it stopped working for a period so I moved to GoodSync and haven't tried ExpanDrive lately to see if it works again. Also, ChronoSync will soon have the ability to sync with Amazon Cloud Drive (it already does with S3).

Others can provide you with various tools to do these backups for free. I just happen to like the interfaces of these pieces of software, and the fact that they utilize warnings to keep me from doing especially stupid things like unintentionally wiping out backups.

Hey Jud,

So I gather you would recommend Amazon Cloud Drive?

I am a regular user of Chronosync, absolutely indispensable in my backup process - I use it to both transfer files to my music mini and backup to my offline drives. If they incorporate Amazon Cloud soon then it would be fantastic. Highly recommended app.

Yes, I'd recommend it pretty well unreservedly.

Depending on the size of your collection, initial upload could take quite a while. What's your ISP nominal upload speed?

I think ChronoSync is terrific as well, but I'm also really liking GoodSync. Recently they changed their UI for the better IMO by showing only what's changing for incremental backups, so after the initial upload you just see the tracks/albums you're adding rather than having to wade through the whole shebang.

I have 300 down/20 up. So I guess it would be about 6 days upload time per tb. Padding that a bit I'd say it will take about a month. This is ok, once the current bulk is up it will be much easier.

Does GoodSync work as Dropbox does? Or do you have to set up a backup schedule?

The interface is somewhat reminiscent of ChronoSync. You select your local storage and your storage on Amazon and set them up in a left (local)-to-right (Amazon) configuration. There are then two steps, "Analyze," where the UI tells you what will happen if you go ahead, and "Sync," which is self-explanatory. Like ChronoSync, you can set up a schedule, but you don't have to.

ChronoSync can backup to Amazon S3 and Google Cloud. (The capability of backing up to these cloud services was added to ChronoSync only 3 months ago.)

Hi Bob -

If you look further back up the thread, you'll see where I noted the ability to back up to Amazon S3, and also mentioned they plan to add the ability to back up to Amazon Cloud Drive soon. :) (I didn't mention Google Drive because Miguel and I had been discussing the Amazon Cloud Drive unlimited storage plan specifically.)

I do have a Win -10 machine I'd like to backup to NAS.

Any recommendations for backup tools that can be used for a full restore? Acronis True Image?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Long ago, and perhaps no longer the case, Acronis well and truly messed up a multiboot installation of mine, and I haven't trusted it enough to try it since. While not widely known, I've always really liked BootIt (https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm), which along with various useful multiboot and partition tools also has an image and restore function. I think you can get just the image and restore facility a bit cheaper if you don't want the rest.

I would love to use Amazon, but with my NAS usage pushing 4TB, the initial seed problem is daunting.

What's your nominal ISP upload speed? When I did the initial upload, which at my ISP's then nominal upload speed of a grand 1mbps took 3 months(!), I was happily able to access the Internet and play music over the local network just fine. So if you don't mind leaving the computer/NAS on for a solid block of time, if your experience is like mine you can just let it run in the background.

It's 20Mbps.

I may be able to limit the traffic to say 15Mbps to allow enough bandwidth on the pipe for existing traffic.

Amazon S3 has an initial seed via HDD mail in, but too expensive for this amount of data.

Hmm, let me explore it. Thanks!

Btw - the only other free remote backup solution with initial seed that I could find was the CrashPlan Friend backup feature. This works on regular Win and Mac machines.

If your experience is like mine, you will not have to limit your upload speed. I didn't do any limiting with 1Mbps nominal upload (!), and my local network, including audio playback, worked just fine.

Edit: Oh, I meant to mention - lots of other people like CrashPlan, and they do many things well. For a variety of reasons (including the fact that they charge quite a bit for the HDD seed, and uploading to them hogged my network), after using CrashPlan for about 6 months I switched to Amazon and have been quite happy.

Yes odelay it is painfully slow. At about 10gb per day mine took about 75 days if I remember correctly. So yours....

Just trying to think of some ways to speed things up - possible for you to drive your NAS or whatever you're using to a friend's or college or workplace with a faster connection?

Just Amazon S3 for me, works well, very cheap (for me about 1/4 cost of Cloud Drive, but depends on the amount you store).

Depending on the amount you store and how frequently you expect to access it (remember, adding new music purchases to this backup is access). For 1TB with "standard" access frequencies (I've got ~900GB at the moment, and expect to make fairly frequent additions), the cost estimate I obtain is ~$30/month. So Cloud Drive at $60 annually is a better deal for me.

Thanks Jabbr & Jud.

Living in Tallinn & Helsinki at the moment. I am very much dependent on my partner's friends and family. Have been thinking about how I might get it done at uni, but logistics have been tricky... although, speeds are promising there...

Just did the math... or faced the music... it would take me 412 days to back up (3.3tb, but just under 2tb of music). I've been backing up the past few weeks. Barley made a dent.. These uploads also affect downloads... not fun. Have most of it backed up... in Australia...

I am using Backblaze - for the first time. It seemed fairly well reviewed. It's 5/mth, $95/2yrs, unlimited uploads (no cost for number of uploads - that I know of, but could be mistaken). They give you a 15 day free trial.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Is it Backblaze where the uploads affect downloads? That happened for me too with another service, but not for Amazon Cloud Drive, which is one of the reasons I moved to it and have stayed with it.

Saturating your upload bandwidth can adversely affect downloads (Google "buffer bloat" for details). Limiting upload speed to around 80% of max rate avoids this. The extent of this effect depends more on your ISP than the service you're connecting to.

I tried three backup services. Two adversely affected my Internet connectivity (as in, brought it to a screeching halt until/unless I stopped the backup). Backing up to Cloud Drive has never had the slightest effect on Internet connectivity in over a year of pretty frequent backups (initial upload over 650GB, then ~300GB more in frequent smaller chunks), whether it is something Amazon does, something my ISP or home network hardware/software does in response to Amazon's servers.... This (no home network problem when uploading backups to Amazon) has persisted through a change in routers, a change in cable modem, and changes in ISP service plan.

So for some reason the communication between my home network and the two other backup services apparently doesn't result in any upload speed throttling, while I am supposing the communication to Amazon must.

It's possible that Amazon client or server software adjusts the rate to keep latency reasonable.

I've used at least 3 different client software products, so it could be the server or something all client software must contain.

Would they know I even have a NAS? It is in the same room as my home HVAC equipment, bolted to the concrete floor...

I also think you're over estimating the amount of crime.

I'd be concerned (as well, or instead) about the usual home disasters such as fire.

Hope I live long enough for my annual payment for Amazon Cloud Drive to exceed the purchase price of two grand. :)

<- has never once had a home break in during my entire 41 years on this planet.

I did at a house I rented in Canada while working on a litigation there. They took my TV, stereo - and the snow shovel.

• 1 month later...
I created a Freenas jail (called 'util'), mounted my music files in the jail, and run a nightly script in cron to upload any changes to my ripped files to Amazon Drive. I use rclone, there is a freebsd port so it all runs very smoothly (and automatically).

I am speaking at the zfs user conference 2017 11 AM March 16th on large scale home lab backups. Amazon Cloud Drive backups will definitely be one of the techniques I cover.

Very nice - I don't have a Freenas server (at least not yet), but on behalf of others who do, this really seems like a very simple no-fuss solution.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Unfortunately Amazon changed its prices drastically. To backup all my music was going to cost me several hundred dollars per month. I stopped using it. 

I'm getting mighty close to the 1TB barrier.  What if anything are you doing instead?

1 hour ago, plissken said:

I had 8TB stored on Amazon Cloud Drive.  I spun up a Windows 10 Pro machine, used storage spaces, built a 12TB parity space using 3 drives. 

My HP Z420 workstation runs all my machines as VM's in Hyper-V and I use Acronis to backup all that to the SMB share. 

Love having operating systems stored as a file. 

I've got 3 copies of my stuff at home (two 4 TB HDDs, a handful of SD cards that double as my music library for travel). But I want something remote in case of fire or break-in.  Amazon was perfect under the old pricing structure.  Looking for something to replace them.

18 minutes ago, semente said:

That's more along the lines I was thinking of, but I can contemplate having more than 2TB to store, since I'm at 1TB with most of my CDs still to rip. 

10 hours ago, jrd1975 said:

I am more than happy using https://www.idrive.com

They have a 50% off sale on currently as well!  

They offer a nicely priced 2TB plan as well as a 5TB plan for not terribly much more, which would likely be enough for me for at least several years into the future.  But probably not for some folks here.

20 hours ago, monteverdi said:

That's why one should have 2 drives at different locations. And access to the internet is not equal everywhere. I wonder how often cloud storage is really updated/cloned as also their drives are not permanent either. As cloud is a recent option permanence of cloud storage is not known

Much of cloud storage is geared toward business, so performance on measures like having updated copies of your data would presumably be of great importance to their major customers.

Other features I want or need from an online backup service that Amazon delivered: 

Necessary: The service doesn't hog your Internet connection while running. I've read some comments that iDrive may do this. Anyone know about Backblaze (which currently offers unlimited storage)?

Desired: Fast uploads. Again, I've read some comments to the effect that iDrive is rather slow. PCMag tests appear to indicate Backblaze is a little quicker.

Backblaze's disadvantages - lousy app, lack of ability to be very granular selecting files to back up - aren't deal breakers for me, though they might be for others. (I have all my music files on an external drive, so I can just have Backblaze back up the whole drive. I'd rather the iPhone app was nicer, but that's not essential to me.)

Any reactions from folks who may have tried either or both of these, or other services you like? 

55 minutes ago, jrd1975 said:

Jeez - that's no good.... I have 500 GB protected and longest job was 4 hours. Maybe contact iDrive support as something doesn't seem right there.

I noticed iDrive offers a 4TB hard drive if you want to get a lot of files backed up, which does indicate to me that upload could be a little slow. 

In answer to your question about what I meant regarding hogging the connection: When I used to upload to CrashPlan (which doesn't offer the service any more, see @Bob Stern's caution), anything else using the Internet in my home slowed to a trickle. My understanding is that you can regulate the bandwidth of the iDrive upload, but then that would make upload slower. 

For whatever reason, uploading to Amazon has never had that effect on the rest of my Internet connections.