IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

• 1 year later...

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Other features I want or need from an online backup service that Amazon delivered: 

Necessary: The service doesn't hog your Internet connection while running. I've read some comments that iDrive may do this. Anyone know about Backblaze (which currently offers unlimited storage)?

Desired: Fast uploads. Again, I've read some comments to the effect that iDrive is rather slow. PCMag tests appear to indicate Backblaze is a little quicker.

Backblaze's disadvantages - lousy app, lack of ability to be very granular selecting files to back up - aren't deal breakers for me, though they might be for others. (I have all my music files on an external drive, so I can just have Backblaze back up the whole drive. I'd rather the iPhone app was nicer, but that's not essential to me.)

Any reactions from folks who may have tried either or both of these, or other services you like? 

Hi Jud

I've found iDrive to be very stable - 100% success rate on daily backups now since Jan 2017.  

Never noticed the impact the running job has on my internet connection as I run scheduled overnight. What do you mean by hogs? Uses too much bandwidth? Slows the connection?

It may be a tad slow - but that is really dependant on change and amount of data. 

For me it's been real setup and forget, which is as good an endorsement as I can give a backup solution.

I looked at BackBlaze as well which looked pretty cool. I think when I purchased they were more expensive than iDrive but looks like they are cheaper now and could meet your requirements better.

Hope this, is of some use!

8 minutes ago, cambridgehank said:

I thought I would give iDrive a chance.  I selected the two year option.  But as Jud says,  it is painfully slow.  It is taking more than 30 hours for 165 GB of music to upload.

Jeez - that's no good.... I have 500 GB protected and longest job was 4 hours. Maybe contact iDrive support as something doesn't seem right there.