IGNORED

Ethernet cables

29 minutes ago, sandyk said:

and far more experience in this area than the 2 local Yokels who never endingly knock every subjective report,  based on outdated technical research and lack of willingness to try some of even the simpler improvements suggested by qualified E.E. members such as J.S.

Where did I even use the word Ethernet in that statement ?

I doubt that either of you (Plissken and Mansr, NOT Mr. Need for Speed) has even bothered to try earthing the 0 volts side of SMPS powered gear etc. based purely on ideological grounds !

However, the general lack of apathy (laziness?) in this forum when it comes to actually trying something that others have suggested , will most likely mean that very few,if any, will even bother to follow up on Cookie's suggested testing,

just as virtually all members couldn't be bothered participating in Plissken's recent thread.

BTW Speed Skater, has your new PSU fully stabilised yet ?

Is it giving the results that you hoped for?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

By what mechanism? Details please!

I don't claim to be a qualified E.E.

Ask those people with suitable qualifications and access to appropriate test equipment.

BTW, I didn't see your reply until I posted mine, where I had specifically excluded you from that statement.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

40 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I thought it was just another thread for several of you to crap in and disrupt as usual !

It is, I recommend making some additions to your Ignored members list, it will result in a palpable reduction in forum noise.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

some people will believe anything - e.g. anti-vaxers, audiophools, assorted placebophiles, etc.

Are you conflating me with an anti-Vaxxer? I think I’m so done with this forum....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

30 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

All four sound different

That is similar to my experience with the following:

Radio Shack Cat 5e

BJC Cat 6

Rosewill Cat 7

Supra Cat 8

They do not sound the same, the differences are subtle just as you described, but they are there.

I do not find the sound quality to correspond exactly according to their prices, however the two I prefer are the two that cost the most, the BJC Cat 6 and Supra Cat 8.

But those two do not sound the same, the BJC Cat 6 in my setup is both more dimensional and revealing of detail, but at the expense of some slight tonal balance roughness in the upper midrange/lower treble as compared to the Supra Cat 8, which is better tonally but lacking the nth degree of stereo imaging quality exhibited by the BJC Cat 6.

So for me no clear winner, and of course others' mileage can/will vary. None of the above cables suck, the old Radio Shack Gigaware Cat 5e isn't bad at all and in hindsight I could have stayed with it and skipped the entire comparison process. 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

I’ve tried four different Ethernet cables between my FMC (ground shunted that proceeds a ground shunted FS105) and microRendu. All four sound different, but it is subtle and you have to LISTEN. Of the four, I would definitely say the Ghent JSSG is best. The others are fine - Teragrand (Amazon) Cat 7 - good and neutral, maybe not so detailed as the others; Miecord Opal - big and meaty and musical but can be a bit much; AQ Cinnamon - detailed but seems to carve out the bass; Ghent JSSG - more of everything without anything being left out. Really nice. No idea why they sound different but they do. Good enough for me. 

My position is: 

1. Your cable needs to certify out 

2. Using a multi-meter to tone out your cable I can, on the spot, construct a like pinned out cable, that will sound the same when your sighted bias is controlled for.

I'll bring a Server/Client running Jriver and Cisco Switch configured for LAG via LACP and the Client machine running Intel Server Dual PHY NIC in a teamed configuration. From there it's your USB cable on from there. 

It's typical of most setups. 

I have no problem walking into any ones house and watching them crash and burn once they don't know the answers ahead of time. 

Cookie included. 

P.S. don't used shielded cable for home use. It's not needed, it add complexity where none need to be. Better yet use wireless. 

People espousing absolute rubbish does no one any good. Hobby or not. 

Whatever....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.