IGNORED

Apple is moving away from HFS+ to APFS...

How much fun do you think this will give the developers of our favorite audio softwares?

It shouldn't impact them at all. The OS will offer an abstraction from this. Just like today where the audio software could care less whether the file is on HFS+, FAT, NTFS or ext4.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed when glancing at the initial Apple doc is that APFS volumes will not be able to be shared via AFP, just SMB. So that pretty much marks the end of AFP.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I have beed reading up on APFS too, I don't think it sounds like it is anywhere near ready for primetime. It can not be used as a start up disk, it is not compatible with Time Machine, etc...

I don't think anyone's saying it is ready.. That's why it's being released only as a developer preview and not rolled out until 2017.

When it is rolled it will almost certainly be bootable, and you won't need Time Machine as it exists now because the file system itself has built-in snapshotting.

That said, I'm disappointed to see no mention of checksumming to preserve and self-heal file integrity like you have with ZFS.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I don't think anyone's saying it is ready.. That's why it's being released only as a developer preview and not rolled out until 2017.

When it is rolled it will almost certainly be bootable, and you won't need Time Machine as it exists now because the file system itself has built-in snapshotting.

That said, I'm disappointed to see no mention of checksumming to preserve and self-heal file integrity like you have with ZFS.

It will probably be in there, but ZFS is a bit overrated in any case. Oracle is pushing it hard, but you know how that goes...

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein