IGNORED

Need help with some recommendation of speakers for Desktop use

hi im here looking for recommendations for a good bassy pc speaker

i need something that is bassy, has bluetooth or can add a bluetooth receiver. ( i want to play music from my phone on my bed sometimes and not leave the phone on my desk )

is just 2 pieces as i do not have space to place a box subwoofer.

thanks in advance! try to recommend me something that can be bought on amazon... ( have credits there )

my budget is about 100-300 usd

i am using a MSI Z170A M5 Gaming motherboard which has some HD audio thingy if that makes any difference...

please use layman terms as i am very very very new to audio stuffs

hi im here looking for recommendations for a good bassy pc speaker

i need something that is bassy, has bluetooth or can add a bluetooth receiver. ( i want to play music from my phone on my bed sometimes and not leave the phone on my desk )

is just 2 pieces as i do not have space to place a box subwoofer.

thanks in advance! try to recommend me something that can be bought on amazon... ( have credits there )

my budget is about 100-300 usd

i am using a MSI Z170A M5 Gaming motherboard which has some HD audio thingy if that makes any difference...

please use layman terms as i am very very very new to audio stuffs

hmm...I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bassy". Active speakers that actually really extend much below 50 hz (and sound good doing it - real bass not just "thump") AND has a DAC+plus bluetooth receiver for less than $300 US? I don't know of such a product (though if you forgo real bass there are some that sound decent). I would be interested if others know of anything like this...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

hmm...I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bassy". Active speakers that actually really extend much below 50 hz (and sound good doing it - real bass not just "thump") AND has a DAC+plus bluetooth receiver for less than $300 US? I don't know of such a product (though if you forgo real bass there are some that sound decent). I would be interested if others know of anything like this...

300 us is for the speakers. the receiver is additional cost... which i dont know how or what it looks like and how much it cost and how to fix it thats why i am asking.

i like the type bass i hear in this video

the jbl 305... someone recommended me this from another forum but did not tell me how to set this up with my CPU. because from what i learnt about it is that it is for a studio setup.

When I hear someone say "Bassy", I think Bose.

That being said, my "bassy enough" recommendation would be boosting the budget to $350 and going with a pair of refurbished AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers ($319) and a Homespot Bluetooth Audio Receiver ($29). You could also go with the A2+ ($199 refurb), but they are quite a bit smaller and inevitably less "bassy".

edit... I'm guessing that you won't find a BT audio receiver with a balanced audio output that those JBL's require.

When I hear someone say "Bassy", I think Bose.

That being said, my "bassy enough" recommendation would be boosting the budget to $350 and going with a pair of refurbished AudioEngine A5+ powered speakers ($319) and a Homespot Bluetooth Audio Receiver ($29). You could also go with the A2+ ($199 refurb), but they are quite a bit smaller and inevitably less "bassy".

edit... I'm guessing that you won't find a BT audio receiver with a balanced audio output that those JBL's require.

i am shipping it internationally so getting brand new would be a better idea.

from what u seen in that video would a A2+ bass be crappier than that?

ive seen alot of reviews that the A2 has crappy bass...

definitely dont want the A5+

I'm guessing that you won't find a BT audio receiver with a balanced audio output that those JBL's require. < no idea whats a bt audio receiver with a balance audio output means.

once again i have no clues about speakers and stuff this is my very first time attemping to use something that is not made by creative

300 us is for the speakers. the receiver is additional cost... which i dont know how or what it looks like and how much it cost and how to fix it thats why i am asking.

i like the type bass i hear in this video

the jbl 305... someone recommended me this from another forum but did not tell me how to set this up with my CPU. because from what i learnt about it is that it is for a studio setup.

Just so you know, there is almost nothing you can learn from the "sound" of an audio product recorded with a phone in all likihood and posted to youtube :)

That said, those JBL active (i.e self powered) speakers are the sort of thing you should be looking at probably - though I wonder if MRVCO's recommendation of the AudioEngine A5+ would not be even better...

If you are going to have a budget for a dedicated amp/"receiver" (not sure if you mean this or you really mean a Blue Tooth receiver) then things open up a bit (like possibly a used/refurbished Yamha S-xxx from their relatively new 2 channel line) and of course a passive speaker like the Elac B6 would have a real bottom end (particularly with room re-enforcement) that would fool everyone into thinking you a sub...

Just so you know, there is almost nothing you can learn from the "sound" of an audio product recorded with a phone in all likihood and posted to youtube :)

That said, those JBL active (i.e self powered) speakers are the sort of thing you should be looking at probably - though I wonder if MRVCO's recommendation of the AudioEngine A5+ would not be even better...

If you are going to have a budget for a dedicated amp/"receiver" (not sure if you mean this or you really mean a Blue Tooth receiver) then things open up a bit (like possibly a used/refurbished Yamha S-xxx from their relatively new 2 channel line) and of course a passive speaker like the Elac B6 would have a real bottom end (particularly with room re-enforcement) that would fool everyone into thinking you a sub...

the JBL is cheaper than the Audioengine A5

what i need is to connect my phone to the jbl speakers on bluetooth ( i want to play music from my phone on my bed sometimes and not leave the phone on my desk as mentioned on my 1st post )

so yea can u tell me how to setup this pair of jbl speakers to connect to my PC?

i just need 3 things

1) bass

2) 2pcs

3) able to attach bluetooth receiver or bluetooth built in

lastly

how to setup the speakers with pc

i just need a pair of speakers that is decent within 300 bucks

the JBL is cheaper than the Audioengine A5

what i need is to connect my phone to the jbl speakers on bluetooth ( i want to play music from my phone on my bed sometimes and not leave the phone on my desk as mentioned on my 1st post )

so yea can u tell me how to setup this pair of jbl speakers to connect to my PC?

i just need 3 things

1) bass

2) 2pcs

3) able to attach bluetooth receiver or bluetooth built in

lastly

how to setup the speakers with pc

i just need a pair of speakers that is decent within 300 bucks

Those particular JBL active "studio monitors" have built in amplification, but no digital functionality - thus the two ways to get input to them is balanced XLR and TRS (both analog inputs that are "balanced" which is a kind of technology found in professional studios and high end audio to an extant). Thus to get digital files to them you need a computer or DAC (a DAC converts digital files to analog output) that has balanced output or you need to convert an unbalanced output of a more common RCA analog out that may be on your soundcard (probably not) or a separate DAC. To get bluetooth and music stored on your computer (both are "digital" sources) to these particular speakers is possible but you need a few extra steps.

The audioengine speakers have all this covered by having both amplification AND digital functionality (DAC and bluetooth and usb inputs) so all you would need is two things: USB cable and one of those cheap Blue tooth receiver that plugs into a USB port on your computer. These from Emotiva do the same thing:

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-3b

I am sure there are others.

If this all sound complicated it really is not, but you have to understand the digital chain, which is a file or source (such as a rip of a CD on your computer or a song stored on your phone) which then sent to (via bluetooth, USB, etc.) and processed by a DAC, which then puts out analog sound which an amplifier uses to power a speaker.

In your case these JBL's have an amp built in, so you need a DAC (whether built into your computer or separate like a Schiit Modi:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA. )

and because of the professional balanced inputs on these particular JBL's and the standard unbalanced output (RCA) on the vast majority of sub$500 dacs you would need (relatively cheap) converter (plus a cheap USB BT stick plus a USB cable)...now that I write all that perhaps it is complicated! ;)

Hope I am not confusing you!!!

Those particular JBL active "studio monitors" have built in amplification, but no digital functionality - thus the two ways to get input to them is balanced XLR and TRS (both analog inputs that are "balanced" which is a kind of technology found in professional studios and high end audio to an extant). Thus to get digital files to them you need a computer or DAC (a DAC converts digital files to analog output) that has balanced output or you need to convert an unbalanced output of a more common RCA analog out that may be on your soundcard (probably not) or a separate DAC. To get bluetooth and music stored on your computer (both are "digital" sources) to these particular speakers is possible but you need a few extra steps.

The audioengine speakers have all this covered by having both amplification AND digital functionality (DAC and bluetooth and usb inputs) so all you would need is two things: USB cable and one of those cheap Blue tooth receiver that plugs into a USB port on your computer. These from Emotiva do the same thing:

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-3b

I am sure there are others.

If this all sound complicated it really is not, but you have to understand the digital chain, which is a file or source (such as a rip of a CD on your computer or a song stored on your phone) which then sent to (via bluetooth, USB, etc.) and processed by a DAC, which then puts out analog sound which an amplifier uses to power a speaker.

In your case these JBL's have an amp built in, so you need a DAC (whether built into your computer or separate like a Schiit Modi:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA. )

and because of the professional balanced inputs on these particular JBL's and the standard unbalanced output (RCA) on the vast majority of sub$500 dacs you would need (relatively cheap) converter (plus a cheap USB BT stick plus a USB cable)...now that I write all that perhaps it is complicated! ;)

Hope I am not confusing you!!!

lol i really really dont know what is dac and amp and etc.

can u just show me what are the items i need to get the jbl to work with my computer? like which cables and which blue tooth receivers.

i would really like to purchase the A2 and infact it looks alot better but i cannot listen to a pair of speakers with bad bass.. i will end up regretting getting it

lol i really really dont know what is dac and amp and etc.

can u just show me what are the items i need to get the jbl to work with my computer? like which cables and which blue tooth receivers.

i would really like to purchase the A2 and infact it looks alot better but i cannot listen to a pair of speakers with bad bass.. i will end up regretting getting it

I understand - that said, the risk of "buyers remorse" is ever-present in audio ;)

DAC stands for "digital-to-analog converter" and they are the chips that convert digital bits and bytes into analog wave form "sound" that you and I can hear. They are everywhere (your phone/DVD player/tv/car stereo/computer/etc) but are usually isolated in a particular application such as the one in your phone, which is outputs into a little amp that then powers your earbuds. To make sound all sound making devices (phones, tv's, high end stereo's, etc.) have this chain:

digital source (such as an mp3 or cd rip) > DAC > amplifier (even tiny ones in phones) > speakers

I recommend the following (others may chime in with theirs) to get these particular JBL's running on your computer (and phone via bluetooth):

1) USB cable of minimal decent quality (type A on one end, type B on the other):

Belkin Gold Series USB Device Cable - Type A Male - Type B Male - 16ft - Black - Newegg.com

2) inexpensive external DAC (such as Schiit's Modi):

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

3) RCA to XLR cable (x2):

Hosa XRF110 | Sweetwater.com

4) bluetooth usb stick for your computer:

ASUS USB-BT400 USB 2.0 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter - Newegg.com

The part I don't know is the software you will need to run to serve files from you phone to your DAC (via bluetooth) as I have never set this particular chain up (on occasion, I will play music from my phone to a Marantz AVR or my car but these devices have bluetooth built in) - perhaps someone else will chime in. Bluetooth audio is usually part of a "package" deal like the Audioengine A6 do-everything-powered-speakers or an AVR.

Anyone know of a DAC that has USB and Bluetooth inputs and analog out that is L/R RCA? There is this:

Beetle DAC

But it's analog out is single 3.5mm which is not that helpful in this case. There is that Chord DAC but it is $1k...