IGNORED

HQ Player + DSD512 + DSP?

Miska,

+1

As far as I'm concerned, focus your energies on your vision and don't worry about "irrelevant hand waving". The performance of your product speaks for itself. That's proof enough for me and many others; and I for one, fwiw, congratulate you for the wonderful work you've done with HQPlayer. I have done all the research to be fully invested in your vision for digital playback. Thank you for your great work!

I never questioned the performance of HQPlayer, it speaks for itself. It's the vague claims that it does things in a way fundamentally different from published mathematics I take issue with. That and the personal insults.

I never questioned the performance of HQPlayer, it speaks for itself. It's the vague claims that it does things in a way fundamentally different from published mathematics I take issue with. That and the personal insults.

"someone has their brain stuck to one certain model" - this spirited comment can hardly be called an insult...why don't we all relax with some music and focus on the great things of our hobby.

So in an effort to cut through all of the static generated here, can I confirm that the simple answer to the original question is that it IS easy to import DSP filters into HQ Player and have DSD files processed through this filter natively and without PCM conversion first?

If so, what particular DSP programs will generate filters that are easily compatible with HQ Player? And what kind of CPU horsepower would be required for best results?

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

If so, what particular DSP programs will generate filters that are easily compatible with HQ Player?

- Acourate

- Audiolense

- RoomEq Wizard

- DRC FIR

And what kind of CPU horsepower would be required for best results?

If you want to do processing for DSD64/DSD128 sources, Core i7 6700K is good starting point and nVidia GPU can also help (980/1070/1080 GTX is a good starting point there).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

- Acourate

- Audiolense

- RoomEq Wizard

- DRC FIR

If you want to do processing for DSD64/DSD128 sources, Core i7 6700K is good starting point and nVidia GPU can also help (980/1070/1080 GTX is a good starting point there).

Fantastic, thanks Miska!

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Nothing vague in what Miska is doing: he also explained to you where to look so to speak or how not to get stuck in an erroneous way of thinking.

Your assumption that it is 'fundamentally different from published mathematics' is wrong as well...

I suppose that if you're really interested, you'll be searching for papers on how to process bitstreams or SDM in a jiffy?

Miska posted a link once on this very forum.

This reminds me of the kind of discussions I get when I mentioned that the signal traveling on a normal USB cable is analogue voltage levels with a ramp up and ramp down times.

For some fun about this, there's a thread over at diyaudio, where even the frigging moderators show they still haven't got a clue.

Fun stuff.

How can put this? If your assumptions are incorrect, your conclusions will be incorrect.

Start by shedding your erroneous assumptions, then you can find something new.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I use Acourate mono wav filters for a 4CH output and 2CH input. The extra 2 channels are my subs. With Acourate, it isn't difficult to generate the appropriate filters and point to them in pipeline.

With more complex setups and higher source sample rates, more computer power is needed. I can upsample everything to dsd256 in this setup, except DSD material. I have to use the 3.14 beta version because jussi made some improvements to pipeline convolver so that summed (mono) channels would work well with delays and EQ. Unfortunately the beta version doesn't allow GPU offload. When 3.14 is ready GPU offload to nvidia 1000s cards will be available. I hope I'll be able to do DSD material at that time.

With the newest version of Acourate, you can generate .wav filters at all rates up to 384khz.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

• 4 months later...
I use HQ Player and its internal convolution engine for room correction. It works seamlessly with both DSD native source files and PCM source files. I can output all files with room corrections all at DSD128 on a 4 year old iMac (which uses a relatively old i7 2600).

May I ask you which settings you used and much cpu is used?

I am looking into building a new pc just for hqplayer and as my dac only does 128 I don't see the need for a latest gen cpu. Convolution is something that I definitely like to try and hearing that its possible with a 2600 is good news.