Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Why would it need to be "home market"? Dante is not for home market in first place. It is designed for pro-audio use cases just like Ravenna and other AES67's.

 

With Merging Hapi you can get 16 channels of DXD/DSD256, and with Merging Horus you can get 48 channels of DXD/DSD256...

 

 

Actually Dante can be used at home for multi room installations easily, there are even wall plates available integrated with Dante/AES67. 

 

https://www.atterotech.com/products/dante-wall-plates

https://www.atterotech.com/products/aes67-wall-plates

 

I know there are quite a few other multi room solutions as well, Dante/AES67 available for wall plates it means pricing can be changing for the better in the not so distant future. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ferenc said:

Actually Dante can be used at home for multi room installations easily, there are even wall plates available integrated with Dante/AES67. 

 

https://www.atterotech.com/products/dante-wall-plates

https://www.atterotech.com/products/aes67-wall-plates

 

I know there are quite a few other multi room solutions as well, Dante/AES67 available for wall plates it means pricing can be changing for the better in the not so distant future. 

 

Looks neat, but I have to wonder how many audiophiles would accept the DAC integrated into the wall socket... :D

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mourip said:

 

I am not too happy with Apple's dongle jungle. I miss my old "cheese grater" MAC Pro with all of it's slots...

 

Thanks for the reply.

It is pain in the ass, but works well with iMacs, our customers in tv stations, film studios and post - production facilities using dozens of TB2, TB3 expansion chassis for 10G Ethernet, high-end 4k video cards with no problem at all, even in reality shows where they need to record continuously 24/7 for weeks. Really reliable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Miska said:

 

Looks neat, but I have to wonder how many audiophiles would accept the DAC integrated into the wall socket... :D

 

For a kitchen, or my wife's fitness room, why not? It can work quite well with a simple active monitor which has wired connection not wireless only. Roon can be used for few zones easily and it should be a really reliable solution, hope to try it soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mourip said:

 

I am not too happy with Apple's dongle jungle. I miss my old "cheese grater" MAC Pro with all of it's slots...

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

Actually I am using an Elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock, powered from a linear 20V, 10 A power supply for my shiny new Macbook Pro to connect everything audio related. This way all devices connected to the dock are powered from one linear power supply including the Macbook Pro. I really like how it works.

 

 

Rednet_smpl_v3_eng.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018. 01. 05. at 1:05 PM, dbrulhart said:

 

This is the exact reason why we decided to embark with Ravenna... the ability to extend the protocol if needed. We actually added the DSD support in Ravenna ourself as this was not in at the begining. We specified it up to DSD256 for now, but may easily extend again to DSD512 or DSD1024 when time comes. Other specific data, like MQA for instance, or any "non standard PCM" data may be easily added to the protocol if needs be, why not ?

 

That's the beauty of our job, keeping all the complexity for us, and making things simple for the user... this is actually more a karma than a job ;-)

 

 

Thanks for the info and your contribution. Can we expect any announcement around NAMM time few weeks later, regarding Ravenna? :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 6:48 PM, ferenc said:

 

Thanks for the info and your contribution. Can we expect any announcement around NAMM time few weeks later, regarding Ravenna? :) 

 

Merging doesn't do NAMM, we're concentrating on pro shows like AES/NAB/IBC/ISE/Infocomm and consumer high-end shows.

 

But there will be RAVENNA related announcements soon ;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dbrulhart said:

 

Merging doesn't do NAMM, we're concentrating on pro shows like AES/NAB/IBC/ISE/Infocomm and consumer high-end shows.

 

But there will be RAVENNA related announcements soon ;-)

 

Thanks a lot, I was on your booth at NAB (we won a Best of Show Award there for some of our VR/AR technologies), and IBC and it seems ISE can not come soon enough :) Hope to be there as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I am having problem with RedNet D16 AES. After the computer has been up over 24 to 48 hours the RedNet Control 2 and Dante Controller software lost connection. RedNet Control 2 says "Not present on the network" and Dante Controller is unable to show any info. Still music plays fine after this, but I can't change sample rate or monitor latency etc. After rebooting D16 AES from power button the device works normally. There were few people complaining same thing before, so I know I am not totally alone.
I have contacted Focusrite customer service about this already a year ago. They have been very helpful to investigating this problem, but no luck. They have not been able to reproduce the problem, so there are no fix for this.
Focusrite customer service has posted about this on head-fi to contact them, but there has not been anyone else. So if anyone has this problem, please contact customer service. 

This problem is driving me crazy. Sound quality is still great!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jelt2359 said:

I have this problem too. Sometimes the sample rate stops changing as well if it stays this way for too long. Let me know if you find a fix!

Thank you for letting me know. Since I am the only one that have reported this problem to Focusrite -there won't be any fix in near future.. So please let them know too. They are going to ask you to give RedNet Control 2 and Dante Controller log files. Saving them after the error has happened would help.

 

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bexi said:

I am having problem with RedNet D16 AES. After the computer has been up over 24 to 48 hours the RedNet Control 2 and Dante Controller software lost connection. RedNet Control 2 says "Not present on the network" and Dante Controller is unable to show any info. Still music plays fine after this, but I can't change sample rate or monitor latency etc. After rebooting D16 AES from power button the device works normally. There were few people complaining same thing before, so I know I am not totally alone.
I have contacted Focusrite customer service about this already a year ago. They have been very helpful to investigating this problem, but no luck. They have not been able to reproduce the problem, so there are no fix for this.
Focusrite customer service has posted about this on head-fi to contact them, but there has not been anyone else. So if anyone has this problem, please contact customer service. 

This problem is driving me crazy. Sound quality is still great!

 

I had this issue for a while but it went away. I believe that I uninstalled RC completely and then upgraded to the newest version which included a firmware update.

 

Regarding rate change issues I could never get it to work consistently so I settled on 24/192. Luckily for me I also still find the sound quality to be remarkable, especially with RedBook.


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone who is using a Dante/Rednet based system also using a streaming service like Tidal or Quboz? If so, how did you get it to work using the DVS software network card? 

 

I use JRMC to play my downloads and rips but would love to be able to try a wider variety of music.


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mourip said:

Is anyone who is using a Dante/Rednet based system also using a streaming service like Tidal or Quboz? If so, how did you get it to work using the DVS software network card? 

 

I use JRMC to play my downloads and rips but would love to be able to try a wider variety of music.

 

@mourip set DVS for WDM instead of ASIO,  go into Tidal settings and set the output for Exclusive & Force Volume.  that’ll effectively be Wasapi.  Use remote desktop to control Tidal.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, jaynyc said:

 

@mourip set DVS for WDM instead of ASIO,  go into Tidal settings and set the output for Exclusive & Force Volume.  that’ll effectively be Wasapi.  Use remote desktop to control Tidal.    

 

Thanks. I got Qobuz working via DVS using ASIO. The sound quality through RedNet is very, very good. I even have rate switching working which I had given up on previously due to inconsistent response. I do have to use RDP to control my headless server.

 

I use JMRC for my own music collection. Oddly switching back and forth between JMRC and QB is an issue. I found that I could not have both apps launched at the same time even if they were using different drivers via DVS. I am hopeful for better compatibility once QB gets DLNA worked out.


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 8:07 AM, mourip said:

 

I had this issue for a while but it went away. I believe that I uninstalled RC completely and then upgraded to the newest version which included a firmware update.

 

Regarding rate change issues I could never get it to work consistently so I settled on 24/192. Luckily for me I also still find the sound quality to be remarkable, especially with RedBook.

 

After another recent update of RedNet Control I still get the ""Not present on the network" error but oddly music still plays normally and can be started and stopped. It seems to be more of a display issue than a functional one.

 

Rate switching seems to be working much better now however I do sometimes miss a bit of the beginning of the next song while switching happens. It might not be RedNets fault as I have a Mutec USB following it and My Yggrasil DAC is also a little slow when switching.

 

 


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I now have QB working on my Win2012 server running DVS to my D16/Mutec USB/Yggy. It sounds excellent and the album choices are staggering, especially for classical music. I have found one issue however.

I usually run JRMC for playback of my own files. QB and JRMC do not seem to like to be running at the same time. This issue comes up when I try to switch between them. It seems that once one of the programs plays music then it "locks" DVS and will not give it up until that app is closed. DVS seems to be monogamous, not liking to share resources.

I realize that Rednet users are a small group and that of those the ones also using Qobuz make for an even smaller sampling but I am hopeful someone else has experimented with this. I would like to find one setup that supports both ways of playback and allows seamless rate switching.

 

I experimented a bit more today. I upgraded DVS to version 4 and got the Windows Audio option WDM. Sounds great but would only do 24/44 or 32/44. Nothing higher. It did sound good. It took 24/192 and down sampled it to 24/44. It would not work at all with JMRC. So my search continues.

 

I think that my eventual plan will be to use Qobuz which according to them will come with working Roon integration at launch. I guess the question is if Roon will work with DVS. I really like Qobuz and with Roon I can drop JRMC and still be able to play my local files.


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will need to get get back to you. I was trying too many things yesterday. It certainly sounded good but I need to go back to what I am used to which is JRMC with DVS ASIO out in order to really get "Apples to Apples".

 

My goal is to get the best sound possible using Qobuz and be able to also play my large local library. I will say that when playing QB out via DVS at higher resolution that the sound is excellent. Right now the two issues are Rednet Controls funky sample rate switching and the issue of not being able to keep QB and JRMC open at the same time due to what I believe is an issue with ASIOs default Exclusive Mode. Normally I just keep JRMC at 192 for all files and that sounds great. I do not have that option with QB.

 

I am hoping that Roon integration with QB will solve these issues and I can drop JRMC...


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 8:47 AM, mourip said:

 

After another recent update of RedNet Control I still get the ""Not present on the network" error but oddly music still plays normally and can be started and stopped. It seems to be more of a display issue than a functional one.

 

Rate switching seems to be working much better now however I do sometimes miss a bit of the beginning of the next song while switching happens. It might not be RedNets fault as I have a Mutec USB following it and My Yggrasil DAC is also a little slow when switching.

 

 

 

I am still experiencing the issue with my D16 dropping out of Rednet Control. It can be fine for days at a time and then will just disappear. If music is playing it will continue but once it is done then it becomes unresponsive. I used to reboot my server but I now find that I can just stop DVS and start it again. It did it with Win2012 and now still with Win2016. I have tried different ethernet cables and am on the newest versions of DVS and RC.

 

Anyone seen this and solved it? 


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mourip said:

 

I am still experiencing the issue with my D16 dropping out of Rednet Control. It can be fine for days at a time and then will just disappear. If music is playing it will continue but once it is done then it becomes unresponsive. I used to reboot my server but I now find that I can just stop DVS and start it again. It did it with Win2012 and now still with Win2016. I have tried different ethernet cables and am on the newest versions of DVS and RC.

 

Anyone seen this and solved it? 

You can also restart D16 AES by power button to temporary fix this problem. There is no bug fix for this for now. Focusrite have been able to reproduce this problem once, but not after some Windows updates that have fixed this problem at their end. I have provided RetNet Control2/DVS and Wireshark network traffic logs for them. They said that it may perhaps need investigating from Audinate and can't give any timescale to any bug fix update. 

You can help to solve this problem by contacting customer service.. as far as I known I am still the only one that have reported this problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @bexi. It seems to be a communication issue between DVS and my D16. It very well could be an Audinate issue and not a Focusrite problem.

 

I am using an audio server with a direct ethernet connection to the D16. It communicates via a self assigned IP address 169.254.27.xxx. My server talks to the LAN via the on-board NIC while DVS communicates via an Intel PCIe card.

 

How are you set up?


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that multi-homed (computer with more than one network interface) setups are potentially very problematic. For running internet firewall machine, having two interfaces makes sense, for running regular network node, it doesn't.

 

There is no advantage in using direct connection with networking gear, it usually causes much more problems than it solves. Networking gear is fully equipped to deal with different types of traffic on a single interface with support for QoS etc. Just use a good quality gigabit ethernet switch and your are fine...

 

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...