IGNORED

Special discount on some great DG highres albums at Qobuz

Qobuz just started a great special offer on 80 DG albums, and there are some true must haves in there. If you are a Sublime subscriber, some of the high-res are now really amazingly cheap, e.g. €6.99 for Argerich's Debut remastered in 24/96, but even without the Sublime subscription the prices remain attractive.

I just went on a shopping spree to get the high-res remasters of several DG classics I admire:

Argerich's legendary debut recital (24/96 remastered)

Martha Argerich - Debut Recital | Compositeurs Divers par Martha Argerich – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Brahms Piano concertos with Emil Gilels and Jochum (24/96 remastered), an absolute must have

Brahms: The Piano Concertos, Fantasien Op. 116 | Johannes Brahms par Emil Gilels – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Rach 2 and Tchaikovsky 1 piano concertos with Sviatoslav Richter (24/96 remaster)

Rachmaninov & Tchaikovsky: Piano Concertos Nos.2 & 1 | Compositeurs Divers par Sviatoslav Richter – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Pollini's Chopin Etudes, that remain the reference to this day. The original is not that well recorded, I'm curious if the 24/96 remaster is any better. But at less than €7 it was worth the risk.

Chopin: Etudes | Frédéric Chopin par Maurizio Pollini – Télécharger et écouter l'album

Overall, I'm usually pleased with the 24/96 remasters by DG; I have the CD versions of all of the above, so I'm looking forward to see how much of an improvement the remasters give me.

And finally, I bought two new releases that I had on my list for a while but was waiting for a discount:

Netrebko's version of Tchaikovsky's Ioalanta (24/48), I red some great reviews when it came out, so I'm just curious to expand more into Russian opera, a major gap in my library:

Tchaikovsky : Iolanta | Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky par Anna Netrebko – Télécharger et écouter l'album

And the recent re-recording of Lutoslawski's piano concerto with Zimerman and Rattle. I read several reviews claiming this recording is potentially better than the original, again with Zimerman and the composer conducting himself. Well, I'll find out:

Lutoslawski : Piano Concerto, Symphony No.2 | Witold Lutoslawski par Krystian Zimerman – Télécharger et écouter l'album

And as a sublime subscriber, I got all of the above for €56. Not bad.

And for the record, I'm not affiliated with Qobuz in any way (although I start thinking I should be, I keep promoting them quite a bit...)

And finally, some bigger boxes where I'm on the fence:

Thielemann's complete Ring (24/96)

Wagner: Ring | Richard Wagner par Wiener Staatsoper – Télécharger et écouter l'album

As a sublime subscriber, I could get it for the ridiculous amount of €34, but I read conflicting reviews of the cycle and am not a big Wagner fan in general.

Karajan's 1960 Beethoven cycle in 24/96:

Beethoven: 9 Symphonies | Ludwig van Beethoven par Herbert von Karajan – Télécharger et écouter l'album

I already have too many Beethoven cycles, and I have this in redbook. On the other hand, this is my preferred Karajan one, and at €14 (with sublime discount), I may eventually get it anyhow.

Beethoven: 9 Symphonies | Ludwig van Beethoven par Herbert von Karajan – Télécharger et écouter l'album

And finally: Kubelik's complete Mahler with the Bavarians. An excellent cycle. Does anybody already have the 24/96 remaster and can comment? I have most of the cycle on redbook, and am hesitating.

Mahler: Complete Symphonies | Gustav Mahler par Rafael Kubelik – Télécharger et écouter l'album

How do you find these special offers? I can see on my favorites list most of the price of a lot of the DG downloads are in red type (which means special offer) but so are a lot of Chandos downloads. Is there a list somewhere are what is currently on special offer?

How do you find these special offers? I can see on my favorites list most of the price of a lot of the DG downloads are in red type (which means special offer) but so are a lot of Chandos downloads. Is there a list somewhere are what is currently on special offer?

If you have an account with Qobuz, you should get regular email notifications of their specials.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

You can also check their promo page for updates: Promotions

I wasn't aware that the Mahler/Kubelik set was available in hi-rez. But even if it is good, this will not make me get yet another Mahler set. A dozen is enough :) It's his 1st and 5th that usually get recommended.

Claude

You can also check their promo page for updates: Promotions

I wasn't aware that the Mahler/Kubelik set was available in hi-rez. But even if it is good, this will not make me get yet another Mahler set. A dozen is enough :) It's his 1st and 5th that usually get recommended.

That's why I'm on the fence as well, even if I "only" have 7 or 8 complete sets (including this one in redbook) plus a multitude of individual recordings.

OK, I gave in and bought the Brahms Piano Concertos (Gilels/Jochum) even though I already have the Redbook version. The playing is of course superb, but SQ wise I have to say the Redbook is still quite good, maybe even as good as the remaster.

Anyway, thank you for alerting us to this Promo offer, musicophile.

Regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

OK, I gave in and bought the Brahms Piano Concertos (Gilels/Jochum) even though I already have the Redbook version. The playing is of course superb, but SQ wise I have to say the Redbook is still quite good, maybe even as good as the remaster.

Anyway, thank you for alerting us to this Promo offer, musicophile.

Regards,

Guido F.

While I agree the difference isn't night and day, I still prefer the remaster over the DG originals redbook version I have. More space especially around the piano, when listening via HD800.

I've got the earlier Galleria RBCD of No. 2, and it sounds fine to me. Which RBCD are you comparing the download to, Guido? In my experience, the Originals remaster usually has a slightly better sounding antialiasing filter than the first CD release, but sometimes the de-hissing causes a slightly unnatural sound with a loss of space.

While I agree the difference isn't night and day, I still prefer the remaster over the DG originals redbook version I have. More space especially around the piano, when listening via HD800.

Yes, the remaster has a bit more air, I agree.

I've got the earlier Galleria RBCD of No. 2, and it sounds fine to me. Which RBCD are you comparing the download to, Guido? In my experience, the Originals remaster usually has a slightly better sounding antialiasing filter than the first CD release, but sometimes the de-hissing causes a slightly unnatural sound with a loss of space.

Not the Galleria, but I really don't know which release.

And on second listening . . .

The remaster also has better orchestral balances.

How do you get Qobuz? I am also in NorCal, but get a message about being in the US and not being able to buy from them. Thanks, Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp  Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105  Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50TBripped files

How do you get Qobuz? I am also in NorCal, but get a message about being in the US and not being able to buy from them. Thanks, Larry

send them an email, request an account. even better if you do it in bad french.

worked for me.