IGNORED

Opinion about OS X Audio Midi output; confused.

I posted this on HeadFi.org but did not get many responses.

Just got my first headphone amp + DAC about a month ago, a Woo Audio WA5-LE and the matching WDS-1 DAC. Presently, my source is my MacMini running iTunes with 99% of the music ripped from my redbook CD collection into ALAC format which turns out to be 44 KHz/16 bit.

The Woo manual instructs to set the sampling rate at 192KHz but then I read on the Woo Owners Unite thread that sampling at a higher rate than the native 44KHz would degrade the sound quality so I set the rate from the MacMini Audio Midi back down to 44KHz.

I am now going to adopt Audirvana+ as my player and have read on several threads that up sampling on an even order would increase detail and sound quality. This is the part I am confused about. On the Audirvana player, I'll select to up sample (?to the highest rate possible). Should I open the Apple OS X utility Audio Midi and increase the sample rate back to 192KHz which is the maximum for my DAC?

I am now going to adopt Audirvana+ as my player and have read on several threads that up sampling on an even order would increase detail and sound quality. This is the part I am confused about. On the Audirvana player, I'll select to up sample (?to the highest rate possible). Should I open the Apple OS X utility Audio Midi and increase the sample rate back to 192KHz which is the maximum for my DAC?

You can change the Audio MIDI settings if you want to — it won't do any harm — but the A+ settings will override the Audio MIDI settings.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

a key attribute of Audirvana = iZotope 64bit SRC audio filters that are tweakable. so, that one may experiment with various “Advanced Perimeters” and set “Forced Upsampling” as desired. if your want to find out more, "flip" through: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/izotope-sample-rate-convertor-15352/index25.html

if you set Audirvana to “Max Sample Rate Upsampling" mode, you are using the software to upsample on your Mac, instead of on the WDS-1 DAC.

changing the audio MIDI setting to 192 is relevant if you are using an optical Mac <—> DAC connection.

if you are using the Async USB connection, it would be best to go “Audio System” > “Preferred Audio Device” > “Change” tab and change “Built-in Output" to "WDS1” (or something like that). The “Built-in Output” of your DAC should then be automatically displayed.

HTH.

a key attribute of Audirvana = iZotope 64bit SRC audio filters that are tweakable. so, that one may experiment with various “Advanced Perimeters” and set “Forced Upsampling” as desired. if your want to find out more, "flip" through: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/izotope-sample-rate-convertor-15352/index25.html

if you set Audirvana to “Max Sample Rate Upsampling" mode, you are using the software to upsample on your Mac, instead of on the WDS-1 DAC.

changing the audio MIDI setting to 192 is relevant if you are using an optical Mac <—> DAC connection.

if you are using the Async USB connection, it would be best to go “Audio System” > “Preferred Audio Device” > “Change” tab and change “Built-in Output" to "WDS1” (or something like that). The “Built-in Output” of your DAC should then be automatically displayed.

HTH.

I changed the "built in output" option to speakers as I assume this would be if I wanted the USB as the source on the MacMini. The Mac doesn't identify the Woo specific DAC; still music comes through so I don't think this is an issue.

I changed the "built in output" option to speakers as I assume this would be if I wanted the USB as the source on the MacMini. The Mac doesn't identify the Woo specific DAC; still music comes through so I don't think this is an issue.

1. are you using the async usb connection?

2. does your DAC display 24/192 input?

1. are you using the async usb connection?

2. does your DAC display 24/192 input?

Forgive me, but being new to higher end audio and computer audio, how can I tell if I'm using an async USB connection? Im just using the MacMini USB. Using Audirvana+, the Woo DAC displays whatever sampling rate I choose based on the User Preference choice up to 192K.

Forgive me, but being new to higher end audio and computer audio, how can I tell if I'm using an async USB connection? Im just using the MacMini USB. Using Audirvana+, the Woo DAC displays whatever sampling rate I choose based on the User Preference choice up to 192K.

ah so.

being new not being a sin, if things are going well, please pardon the intrusion.