IGNORED

Queen's Quest

on the hunt. for best sounding digitised version of Greatest Hits 1. which species would you recommend*?

Queen, Greatest Hits in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

Queen Greatest Hits with Bonus Track SHM CD Remastered 2011 Made in Japan Rock | eBay

Greatest Hits | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Queen Greatest Hits Japan 1st Press CD 1985 32XD 329 w Sticker OBI 3200yen RARE | eBay

*opinions based on actual listening experiences would be brilliantly helpful.

queen_2007799a.jpg

Photo: FROM '40 YEARS OF QUEEN' (GOODMAN)

TQ.

on the hunt. for best sounding digitised version of Greatest Hits 1. which species would you recommend*?

Queen, Greatest Hits in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

Queen Greatest Hits with Bonus Track SHM CD Remastered 2011 Made in Japan Rock | eBay

Greatest Hits | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Queen Greatest Hits Japan 1st Press CD 1985 32XD 329 w Sticker OBI 3200yen RARE | eBay

*opinions based on actual listening experiences would be brilliantly helpful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26724[/ATTACH]

Photo: FROM '40 YEARS OF QUEEN' (GOODMAN)

TQ.

I have tried a few, I'm not a fan of the 2011 remaster.

On CD, this was done at that crazy time in the 80s when CD masterings could differ between manufacturing plants, the original EMI CD is highly regarded and any preferences to other CDs are usually on a track by track basis rather than the whole album.

I have the 1985 European 17 track CD that was manufactured and mastered at Toshiba Japan which is very good:

https://www.discogs.com/Queen-Greatest-Hits/release/3949117

I have also heard that the 1983 Elektra US 14 track CD that was manufactured and mastered at JVC Japan is probably slightly better but I haven't heard it myself. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is probably the same mastering as the 32XD 329?

https://www.discogs.com/Queen-Greatest-Hits/release/3394252

have ye olde 17-track album (not sure if it's EMI because that disc is definitely somewhere under somewhere) with Bohemian Rhap listed as 1975 and Bike Race, 1978. like that the 70s vibe + mood + whatnot (music- and sound-wise) are in place.

however, a mite more bite could be welcome.

anyone bought/heard the 24/96 tracks?

that said, that japan 1985 1st press with all 17 tracks is tempting. thing is: 89 bucks...

(1) 24/88 2013 Japan SHM SACD release (remastered UIGY-9532):

louder.

clearer vocal gymnastics + harmonies.

more vicious lead guitar attacks.

ah. hints of bass notes (not just bass lines).

satisfying drum thwacks, interspersed with more ‘realistic’ tambourines + high hats.

like new prescription spectacles = wall of sound with edgy crescendos.

(2) 16/44.1 1987 EMI Japan release (CP32-5381):

softer.

a step (or three) back.

and, there we have it: 70s-80s vintage glam-rock ambience but with decent vocals and lead guitar. however, drums and bass dirty/muddy.

like slipping on rose-tinted sunglasses. but, there are flows and ebbs. more music, less musicianship.

(1) DR8 vs (2) DR12.

TBH, (2) can convey pace of the ‘Bicycle Race’ better. piano, drum + tambourine in ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ kicks harder ass. but it’s a bit much, tiring. unless one prefers hardcore Queen(s). which is fine too.

TBH, (2) can convey pace of the ‘Bicycle Race’ better. piano, drum + tambourine in ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ kicks harder ass. but it’s a bit much, tiring. unless one prefers hardcore Queen(s). which is fine too.

Should be:

TBH, (1) can convey pace of the ‘Bicycle Race’ better. piano, drum + tambourine in ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ kicks harder ass. but it’s a bit much, tiring. unless one prefers hardcore Queen(s). which is fine too.

My bad. One of those days (sigh).

if you are referring to Queen's live recordings, am not familiar with the definitive ones, TBH.

which live album do you like?

That's the point. I don't normally listen to live albums because they sound to me worse than the studio ones so I have no idea which one I would prefer. I would like to change my mind going directly to good ones.

Cheers

• 1 month later...