IGNORED

ReplayGain

Pepsican

Hi

I want my ReplayGain tags to be used. My music can rather vary a lot in volume due to recording differences. And as I don't have a remote and like play lists, I wouldn't mind being able to use ReplayGain.

I use MinimServer --> mRendu using BubbleUPnP --> DAC. I understand that neither MinimServer nor mRendu support ReplayGain. So, I have the following two questions:

1. I my understanding correct?
  2. Is there an alternative from MinimServer that allows use of custom tags like composer, original release year (handy with compilations), and orchestra and also supports ReplayGain? I've tried the Synology Media Server and Plex. But neither does that.

Thanks!

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Logitech Media Server supports ReplayGain and from what I've read the mRendu is compatible with it. Not sure it supports all those tags, though. COMPOSER and CONDUCTOR yes, but I don't think ORCHESTRA or ORIG_YEAR are standard; maybe via "Additional Browse Modes" or using the "Custom Browse" and "Custom Scan" plugins.

yorHhfw.jpg

Turns out LMS does not allow adding of custom tags. At least not in a way I can see. Trying out AssetUPnP now. That does tick all my boxes, although on a Synology NAS it is not officially supported.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Have you listened much with replay gain in the playback chain? I've tried it a few different times for exactly the same reason- playlists- and found that it "sucks the life" out of the sound. Just doesn't sound the same with it engaged.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Have you listened much with replay gain in the playback chain? I've tried it a few different times for exactly the same reason- playlists- and found that it "sucks the life" out of the sound. Just doesn't sound the same with it engaged.

I found that was not the case when I tested things yesterday. But I have to say that AssetUPnP does replay gain in quite an intelligent way, akin to what we see with photo processing and colourspaces. In my own layman's terms, AssetUPnP first upsamples the cd files (which is all I play) from 16 bit to 24 bit. It only then adjusts the playback volume. The upsampling to 24-bit gives the software the chance to modify the file without running out of "space" and having to cut back on the quality. The file is then transmitted to the renderer and played as a 24-bit file.

My understanding of LMS and Foobar is that ReplayGain gets applied to the standard file. And in that case I guess it affects dynamic range?

replaygain does not affect dynamic range. It only automatically adjusts the playback volume of your music software based on what tags are in the file. It makes poorly mastered, overly compressed music sound worse and well mastered, dynamic music sound better because it level matches them.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.