IGNORED

The Travelling Wilburys - newly remastered

iwf

Love those! Anyone have any idea if they are truly remastered (like from original recordings) and not compressed or just "upsampled" from the Box Set? Unfortunately, Vol 1 (and probably Vol 2 as well but didn't check) is horribly compressed on the CDs. Sure would love to hear it like the 96/24 stuff on the DVD in the Box. The video on that DVD is worth it too.

Fyi, their is no third album. Those crazy guys named the second album Volume 3!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

These are remastered from the 2007 reissues, which aren't the most promising source. But I've done some reading about Gavin Lurssen, who's responsible for these new remasters, and his heart definitely seems to be in the right place.

Anyway, I'm listening to the collection right now and liking it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have the CDs and bad mastering or not... its certainly some of the best music from the gang... too bad Roy (one of my faves) wasn't around for the 2nd/3rd volume (album).

High res certainly sounds good...

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

These are remastered from the 2007 reissues, which aren't the most promising source.

Agreed. I actually owned the 2007 versions and replaced them with the original presses a few years back.

I will wait for more feedback on the newest remasters before getting tempted......

Fyi, their is no third album. Those crazy guys named the second album Volume 3!

I should have guessed :)

Much prefer the first to the 'third', but you can tell the guys were having a ball making the music.

DR7 not sure I ever saw a DR rating that low before. Anybody been able to compare them to the original CDs?

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

DR7 not sure I ever saw a DR rating that low before. Anybody been able to compare them to the original CDs?

I'll pass - sounds like the 2007 mastering.

The original Volume 1 CD is DR13. It isn't perfect and can tend to sound a little bit splashy in some places like some other 80s masterings but it is much nicer to my ears than the 2007 remaster. The original could have done with some nice controlled remastering to tighten it up, but as is usually the case it seems that we have a choice between "heavy handed" or nothing (sigh)