IGNORED

Pono Player Basics

I will be purchasing my very first DAC/headphone amp in the form of the Ayre Pono player in late July/early August. I will be loading up the Pono with all of my PCM files (from 16/44.1 to 24/192) and DSD files (from 64fs to 128fs).

The files are in my Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 in my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

If I am not mistaken, I think the transfer of such lossless files into the Pono player is as simple as a "drag and drop" from the A+ "playlist" into the Pono player. Could any of you please verify this?

I would also appreciate, short of an actual owners' manual (which will surely be included in the Pono player), any basic information on how to download files into Pono, as well as anything regarding stuff like how best to extend battery life, if you can constantly run it via AC (I won't be taking it outdoors), and any other helpful stuff.

In case you're wondering about headphones, I am looking at either Grado SR325e or Grado RS-2e. Though I do know that a Pono can really fly with a good pair of headphones that use a fully balanced line out cable, I don't think the Grados can allow for such a balanced operation. However, I have heard/read from other listeners reference the very impressive performance of the Grados as they are (no balanced cable).

Thanks for your help and input.

Congrats on your decision. I really enjoy the Pono and I'm sure you will as well.

Yes, you can drag and drop files from your computer to the Pono, or directly to the micro-SD card. Pono also provides a music management package called PonoMusic World. I find that this tool is easy enough to use that I usually use the tool instead of directly doing drag and drop to the device.

Most of the answers to your questions can be answered by reading their FAQ and watching their videos.

https://www.ponomusic.com/faq

https://www.ponomusic.com/contactus

Good luck!

I will be purchasing my very first DAC/headphone amp in the form of the Ayre Pono player in late July/early August. I will be loading up the Pono with all of my PCM files (from 16/44.1 to 24/192) and DSD files (from 64fs to 128fs).

The files are in my Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 in my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

If I am not mistaken, I think the transfer of such lossless files into the Pono player is as simple as a "drag and drop" from the A+ "playlist" into the Pono player. Could any of you please verify this?

I would also appreciate, short of an actual owners' manual (which will surely be included in the Pono player), any basic information on how to download files into Pono, as well as anything regarding stuff like how best to extend battery life, if you can constantly run it via AC (I won't be taking it outdoors), and any other helpful stuff.

In case you're wondering about headphones, I am looking at either Grado SR325e or Grado RS-2e. Though I do know that a Pono can really fly with a good pair of headphones that use a fully balanced line out cable, I don't think the Grados can allow for such a balanced operation. However, I have heard/read from other listeners reference the very impressive performance of the Grados as they are (no balanced cable).

Thanks for your help and input.

Congrats on your decision. I really enjoy the Pono and I'm sure you will as well.

Yes, you can drag and drop files from your computer to the Pono, or directly to the micro-SD card. Pono also provides a music management package called PonoMusic World. I find that this tool is easy enough to use that I usually use the tool instead of directly doing drag and drop to the device.

Most of the answers to your questions can be answered by reading their FAQ and watching their videos.

https://www.ponomusic.com/faq

https://www.ponomusic.com/contactus

Good luck!

According to the PonoPlayer FAQ, it says that the minimum Mac OSX requirement is OSX 10.7 (Lion). If I still have Snow Leopard (10.6.8), I guess it sounds like that I won't get to interface Pono with my Mac. Is this true?

According to the PonoPlayer FAQ, it says that the minimum Mac OSX requirement is OSX 10.7 (Lion). If I still have Snow Leopard (10.6.8), I guess it sounds like that I won't get to interface Pono with my Mac. Is this true?

Likely, this is a restriction on using the desktop software. If that doesn't run they will be preventing you from downloading music from the Pono Store, but you will still be able to use the Pono player with music you get elsewhere.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Likely, this is a restriction on using the desktop software. If that doesn't run they will be preventing you from downloading music from the Pono Store, but you will still be able to use the Pono player with music you get elsewhere.

OK, my MacBook Pro has an SD card slot. Provided that I do not purchase albums from the Pono Store and purchase/download albums from other sites such as Acoustic Sounds Super Hi-Rez, HDTracks, Naim Label, 2L, NativeDSD, etc. (as well as add newly ripped CDs) and add those into my Audirvana +, I can still use the Pono player as is, correct? Sounds like this would work.....

OK, my MacBook Pro has an SD card slot. Provided that I do not purchase albums from the Pono Store and purchase/download albums from other sites such as Acoustic Sounds Super Hi-Rez, HDTracks, Naim Label, 2L, NativeDSD, etc. (as well as add newly ripped CDs) and add those into my Audirvana +, I can still use the Pono player as is, correct? Sounds like this would work.....

It should work, but you would not be able to do any firmware updates without the software.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It should work, but you would not be able to do any firmware updates without the software.

Here's a good question:

Where I'm at right now...owning a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) with Audirvana Plus 1.5.12. Also, I was hoping to get my first DAC (in this case, a Pono Player) with a headphone amp.

Does it sound like I need to...

1) upgrade the OSX on my MacBook Pro (that is, if it's even possible to do so on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro), or

2) get ready to purchase a brand new Mac (of some kind like MacBook or Mac Mini) and purchase/download the current version of Audirvana Plus 2.0, while backing up my entire music file library in my current A+ list and current iTunes list into both of my external HDDs (Oyen Digital 2.5 MiniPros with USB 2.0) and...

3) consider some other kind of DAC like Resonessence Labs' Concero HP...and start anew.....

My mid-09 MacBook Pro works fine with:

- My Pono Player and the attendant software.

- OS X El Capitan.

- Audirvana Plus 2.5.2, upsampling to DSD128 without a problem.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3) consider some other kind of DAC like Resonessence Labs' Concero HP...and start anew.....

By the way, I'm guessing you know this, but: Pono Player doesn't take a bitstream from the computer. It only plays files from its own internal storage.

By the way, I'm guessing you know this, but: Pono Player doesn't take a bitstream from the computer. It only plays files from its own internal storage.

Hi Jud,

So, in other words, you're saying that I do not need to use my MacBook while listening to music on a Pono player. I do fully understand that. When I do use a Pono player for the very first time, I would need to interface it with my MacBook while going to the Pono website in order to install the current Pono software, correct? And once that's done, I can proceed with loading my music library off of the A+ and into Pono player, correct.

Oh, please explain the Pono's "attendant software".

Thanks Jud. :)

Hi Jud,

So, in other words, you're saying that I do not need to use my MacBook while listening to music on a Pono player. I do fully understand that. When I do use a Pono player for the very first time, I would need to interface it with my MacBook while going to the Pono website in order to install the current Pono software, correct? And once that's done, I can proceed with loading my music library off of the A+ and into Pono player, correct.

Oh, please explain the Pono's "attendant software".

Thanks Jud. :)

You will need to go to the Pono website in order to register your player and download their Musicworld app (a variation of J River) It is the app that will let you update the software of the Pono.

The A+ will not be involved in loading the Pono. On your Mac's drive is a folder where the music resides and you will copy the files in that folder to the Pono.

You will need to go to the Pono website in order to register your player and download their Musicworld app (a variation of J River) It is the app that will let you update the software of the Pono.

The A+ will not be involved in loading the Pono. On your Mac's drive is a folder where the music resides and you will copy the files in that folder to the Pono.

Thank you, "Scottsol" for that information. Kind of a surprise that A+ will not be involved in the loading of Pono.

I do have a good question: Before I upgrade my mid-2009 MacBook Pro's OSX Snow Leopard to OSX El Capitan, I will want to backup all of my PCM and DSD files into both of my Oyen Digital 2.5 MiniPro's (external HDDs) via USB 2.0 and cable provided by Oyen. In an easy step-by-step set of directions, can you please tell me how I can make sure that all of my PCM and DSD files (that are in my MacBook) can be found in my MacBook, and then for me to take the files and back them all up in the Oyens.

Also, you said earlier that A+ will not be involved. Does this mean that I will no longer need to use A+ (I am currently using the A+ 1.5.12) at all, or will I be able to upgrade the A+ to it's current 2.5.?? after the El Capitan upgrade? I may decide to purchase a few albums from Pono Store, but I definitely want to purchase/download new PCM and DSD files from off of Acoustic Sounds, HDTracks, Naim, Native DSD, 2L, and others -- that would require the Mac/A+ 2.5.?? -- as well as rip more CDs into Mac -- and then progressively load the newer and newer stuff into the Pono player later via SD card slot on my MacBook pro. Please comment -- again, I learn best through step-by-step lists as my cognition/learning styles are a bit different.

Thank you....

A+ is a player application that runs on a computer. Pono is a non-computer music player. There is no overlap between the two - A+ won't be involved at all in the music you play with Pono.

Regarding how you would make sure you have all your PCM and DSD files, we wouldn't know where you put them. Do you know? (Sorry for what may be a misunderstanding of what you're asking.)

The simplest way to move your music files/folders unchanged is to just drag and drop.

A+ is a player application that runs on a computer. Pono is a non-computer music player. There is no overlap between the two - A+ won't be involved at all in the music you play with Pono.

Regarding how you would make sure you have all your PCM and DSD files, we wouldn't know where you put them. Do you know? (Sorry for what may be a misunderstanding of what you're asking.)

The simplest way to move your music files/folders unchanged is to just drag and drop.

OK, under "Macintosh HD" (hard drive), there is:

DEVICES

- Macintosh HD

- iDisk

PLACES

- Desktop

- (my full name)

- Applications

- Documents

SEARCH FOR

- Today

- Yesterday

- Past Week

- All Images

- All Movies

- All Documents

Under "my full name", there is a section on "Music":

- Music

- AudirvanaProxies

- Users

- "my full name"

- Downloads

- my 2 complete DSD albums

- HDTracks

- iTunes

- iTunes Music

- All of my music artists in alphabetical order

- Each album by specific artist in alphabetical order

In my A+ list (when I click A+ on my "Dock"), the "playlist" appears below the A+ "player" (the dark grey colored "component" with the big round volume control, display, etc.)

I hope this is helpful enough. Question becomes whether to drag and drop from off the A+ playlist or from the "Music" portion of "Macintosh HD"....

Drag and drop from your drives in Finder. Dragging and dropping from A+ won't accomplish anything.

Drag and drop from your drives in Finder. Dragging and dropping from A+ won't accomplish anything.

OK, sounds easy enough. Can I (or should I) drag and drop the XLD (Apple Lossless Decoder) software (it's for when I'm ripping CDs) and MAX (lossless to lossless converter that I seldom use) software into my ext. drives? Otherwise, I'm good to go.....

OK, sounds easy enough. Can I (or should I) drag and drop the XLD (Apple Lossless Decoder) software (it's for when I'm ripping CDs) and MAX (lossless to lossless converter that I seldom use) software into my ext. drives? Otherwise, I'm good to go.....

No, these programs are free, so you can just download them if you need them.